• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety Induced Psychosis---Is there such a thing??

Star-28

Star-28

I find this rather interesting... your thoughts are appreciated :)

Alright... So a few years ago when I was actively psychotic, my doctor told me my psychosis was induced by my extreme anxiety. Granted I did have extreme anxiety in and out of a psychotic episode, but can anxiety be the culprit?

Another doctor says nonsense!! There is no such thing and that I was wasting my Risperdal if I was using it for anxiety reduction purposes.

Well, I did my own research. I did not find much but I did find that too much caffeine can resemble a psychotic episode. Caffeine makes one anxious, and too much can resemble psychosis.... so...

Anxiety induced psychosis??? Hmmmm :confused:

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i dont know if the two are related but i have always been very anxious and have been diagnosed with schizophrenia also if you take a normal person and depreive them of food and or sleep they can develop phycotic symptoms and as for caffiene i have had to stop drinking it i think some people like my boyfriend can drink caffiene all day go to sleep and be fine but i am very sensitive to the stuff i'd be up all night palpitations very anxious and spooked out lightweight or what? diddy:)

A

antipsionic

I suffer from a fair amount of anxiety when psychotic and I can't see any reason why the stress induced by anxiety couldn't create psychotic symptoms.

As for caffeine well when I'm on a caffeine induced computer gaming bender for to long I start to suffer some symptoms of psychosis.

darren

darren

Stress is known to contribute to and trigger psychotic states. A history of psychologically traumatic events, and the recent experience of a stressful event, can both contribute to the development of psychosis. Short-lived psychosis triggered by stress is known as brief reactive psychosis, and patients may spontaneously recover normal functioning within two weeks.