• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety in my chest feels like a craving

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

I read the chest is affected by anxiety I have generalized anxiety disorder chronic. It feels like I’m craving something to inhale or drink but that’s not what my body is needing it’s anxiety. It never goes away and I’m on the highest amount of anxiety medicine mgs possible. I vapor to calm myself sometimes I need a cigarette just to give that feeling something it’s unbearable. I sweat all the time from anxiety. My doctor really has given all the medicine in the world he explains it can do just so much. I listen to music and I paint as a hobby. I walk every so often to burn it off the anxiety. The feeling though is fir my lifetime. What do you do to deal with it?

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

I read the chest is affected by anxiety I have generalized anxiety disorder chronic. It feels like I’m craving something to inhale or drink but that’s not what my body is needing it’s anxiety. It never goes away and I’m on the highest amount of anxiety medicine mgs possible. I vapor to calm myself sometimes I need a cigarette just to give that feeling something it’s unbearable. I sweat all the time from anxiety. My doctor really has given all the medicine in the world he explains it can do just so much. I listen to music and I paint as a hobby. I walk every so often to burn it off the anxiety. The feeling though is fir my lifetime. What do you do to deal with it?
I read it causes spasms in your chest anxiety that can feel like cravings

J

Julie41

Hi I also have Severe GAD - I’m suffering so much at the minute it feels like a black hole
I don’t have the same feelings in my chest but I do have numerous physical symptoms

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

When I get really bad I feel like a tightening in my check. Sometimes it feels like something screaming to get out, sometimes it feels like a empty void. I have GAD and depression so they tend to work hand in hand. Idk if it something similar what you experience. When I feel it I do a lot of stop a focus on your breath kinda techniques. Kinda like a come back down to earth. But I also used to do a kickboxing workout because I felt like what I was feeling was a type of frustration or anger. That combined with the right music was somewhat soothing. Followed by some yoga. To kinda bring me back. Honestly I should get back into a lot of this stuff myself. Not sure any of it will work for you but maybe some of them seem interesting enough to try.

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

Hi I also have Severe GAD - I’m suffering so much at the minute it feels like a black hole
I don’t have the same feelings in my chest but I do have numerous physical symptoms
I’m so sorry how’s your anxiety medicine?

J

Julie41

I’m on Citalopram it worked for years but since the beginning of 2020 it’s been awful
I do worry a lot I know that & dwell on things and it’s totally spiralled out of control - we lost a family member at the beginning of the year & I helped care for him for roughly 6 months
I think the stress & worry must have contributed to the severe anxiety that started soon after he passed away
I suppose I bottled up a lot of emotions during that time and had to be strong for others
I just want to get back to being able to cope & not be so scared
Xxx

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

I’m on Citalopram it worked for years but since the beginning of 2020 it’s been awful
I do worry a lot I know that & dwell on things and it’s totally spiralled out of control - we lost a family member at the beginning of the year & I helped care for him for roughly 6 months
I think the stress & worry must have contributed to the severe anxiety that started soon after he passed away
I suppose I bottled up a lot of emotions during that time and had to be strong for others
I just want to get back to being able to cope & not be so scared
Xxx
I’m so sorry! When we’re broken and taking care of other’s that’s excruciating! I know that from jobs and friends I don’t have anymore because now I’m a recluse by choice. Therapists never give enough feedback I’ve noticed in my day. You know what cuts it in half for me? I talk my thoughts out and pretend just believe God is answering me because he does love you and can. Fear is the worst I know that one! Calmly move yourself around go slowly and don’t be hard on yourself promote yourself tell yourself as God’s soul good job I love you! He lives within you.

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

The black hole in the chest is anxiety I read the chest spasms and gets all sorts of physical feelings.

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

When I get really bad I feel like a tightening in my check. Sometimes it feels like something screaming to get out, sometimes it feels like a empty void. I have GAD and depression so they tend to work hand in hand. Idk if it something similar what you experience. When I feel it I do a lot of stop a focus on your breath kinda techniques. Kinda like a come back down to earth. But I also used to do a kickboxing workout because I felt like what I was feeling was a type of frustration or anger. That combined with the right music was somewhat soothing. Followed by some yoga. To kinda bring me back. Honestly I should get back into a lot of this stuff myself. Not sure any of it will work for you but maybe some of them seem interesting enough to try.
Yeah I take walks to get it out I know that feeling of needing to yell it out! Yeah

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Yeah I take walks to get it out I know that feeling of needing to yell it out! Yeah
If you feel like you having an anxiety or panic attack there is a grounding technique about 5 things. Look around to find 5 things I can see, 4 things I can touch, 3 things I can hear, 2 things I can smell, and 1 thing I can taste.

GodsArtist1971

GodsArtist1971

If you feel like you having an anxiety or panic attack there is a grounding technique about 5 things. Look around to find 5 things I can see, 4 things I can touch, 3 things I can hear, 2 things I can smell, and 1 thing I can taste.
Nice advice! Thanks

Jam1990

Jam1990

I have GAD and I feel it very much in my chest. I often feel my chest tightening and it feels sometimes like it will never end. When it gets overwhelming for me, I have to smoke a little marijuana to take the edge off, it really does make a big difference for me. I also take Risperidone which is an anti-psychotic, which helps me go to sleep at night if my mind is racing too much. I'm sorry that you feel it in your chest too, it's an awful feeling. Sometimes it feels like the onset of a heart attack or something. Let me know if you find anything that really works well for you.