• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety I think?

A

AdviceSeekerJ

So I think I had a panic attack and have anxiety on and off since (2-3 weeks ago) when will the anxiety go away?

Jolly

Jolly

Welcome. Go on YouTube and find mindfulness and deep breathing. This has to done everyday to get benefit from it. Is this the first time this happened to you

2Much2Feel

Hey. Well, that's impossible for anyone to know, but hopefully you can get some advice here that helps diminish it at least. Have you heard of DBT therapy? Are you able to see a professional for this?

A

AdviceSeekerJ

Welcome. Go on YouTube and find mindfulness and deep breathing. This has to done everyday to get benefit from it. Is this the first time this happened to you
Yes very first time, I’ve never had anything happen to me before, I’ve always had a slight fear of death though and that’s what I had a panic attack about (I had saw a cancer awareness video the night before)

A

AdviceSeekerJ

Hey. Well, that's impossible for anyone to know, but hopefully you can get some advice here that helps diminish it at least. Have you heard of DBT therapy? Are you able to see a professional for this?
I haven’t heard of dbt therapy, and resources to get professional help is hard to come by because of covid. It just feels like a bubble got popped and now I think different from before, which is annoying as I was really care free brfore

2Much2Feel

OK. So many people are having trouble getting professional help, but have you made calls to or looked into any of the online therapists? They can really get the wheel moving for you, help you at least take a breath and make suggestions for you. I'm sure you will get some good advice here as well, but an online therapist can really be a good next step.

A

AdviceSeekerJ

OK. So many people are having trouble getting professional help, but have you made calls to or looked into any of the online therapists? They can really get the wheel moving for you, help you at least take a breath and make suggestions for you. I'm sure you will get some good advice here as well, but an online therapist can really be a good next step.
I only talked to my gp but had a look online for therapists just to discuss it but they all wanted money for this unfortunately

Jolly

Jolly

Yes they will be private. You will need to go through your gp to refer you. Is there any charities where you live for free

2Much2Feel

So some basic skills that are used for panic and anxiety that work for me fairly quickly are distraction with funny TV or uplifting music; deep breathing (breathe in thru nose hold for 8 sec, then exhale slowly thru mouth for twice as long); reaching out to others (like here, good first start) so you're able to express yourself/vent; focus on the moment you're in (look into mindfulness online like Jolly said, it can really be a lifesaver).