• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety Getting Worse

A

Anais

Hi Everybody! I have suffered from anxiety for the past 20+ years, in 2017 I lost my job and since I was already 62 I retired. Since then my mental health has been deteriorating because the lack of activities and purpose killing me. Last year with the Pandemic I have been struggling more and more with anxiety and its symptoms, nowhere to go, no friends, no life. Going thru a very tough time now. I am not taking medications, from time to time Ativan but the immediate reaction on me is to make me more nervous, the next day I feel better but it does not last long. During the last 20 years I have recovered several times, and I hope this time will be the same. Hoping that reading your comments and posts will make me feel better. Nobody can understand us better than the people that live in this hell.

E

EclipticNight

I would not say you have no purpose, more like you fulfilled yours. You worked all your life and now you can not. You can still so plenty of things. My mother takes care of birds and paints the house. What do you want to do?

J

Julie41

Hi Everybody! I have suffered from anxiety for the past 20+ years, in 2017 I lost my job and since I was already 62 I retired. Since then my mental health has been deteriorating because the lack of activities and purpose killing me. Last year with the Pandemic I have been struggling more and more with anxiety and its symptoms, nowhere to go, no friends, no life. Going thru a very tough time now. I am not taking medications, from time to time Ativan but the immediate reaction on me is to make me more nervous, the next day I feel better but it does not last long. During the last 20 years I have recovered several times, and I hope this time will be the same. Hoping that reading your comments and posts will make me feel better. Nobody can understand us better than the people that live in this hell.
Hi Anais
I can totally relate to your comments
I am 63 this month & feel like l just go through the motion of daily life- no enjoyment whatsoever
I feel like a robot! I do have family but they do not understand my anxiety at all
So in fact I feel alone most of the time
My anxiety is awful - full of overthinking & over worrying & physical symptoms that anxiety brings along with it
I agree that this pandemic has had a severe impact on people with mental health problems and everyone really
Do you find the sunshine helps you?
It does help my mood & makes me want to do some pottering in the garden
Have you tried YouTube ? I listen to body scan meditation on there when l feel bad
It does help you relax and stop your mind from straying else where
I also do crosswords to keep my brain occupied
I do take meds & have done for many years - my anxiety has been at its worst for the past 2 years (my meds were increased then as l had a complete melt down)
I never have many days without panic/anxiety/depression some days I’m running at 75% ok (never above that) then other days it’s 25% !!
What is your sleep like??
This forum is excellent- there are so many suffering & it helps to hear different strategies of coping
It is hell, you are right, but there is light at the end of the tunnel- better times are coming l am sure
Try and be kind to yourself - you will once again get through this
I’m currently trying to do some light exercises on YouTube
Light they say !!!!! Don’t think so 😳
Sending you hugs 🤗

J

Jolly

Welcome 🙏. I have suffered GAD and phobia for many years. Met some lovely people on here with good advice. I decided to seek a therapist which I see twice a month and this has really helped. I also do mindfulness and deep breathing which are good. Just a thought for you. If you need to vent just vent on here. Lovely forum xx

A

Anais

Hi Anais
I can totally relate to your comments
I am 63 this month & feel like l just go through the motion of daily life- no enjoyment whatsoever
I feel like a robot! I do have family but they do not understand my anxiety at all
So in fact I feel alone most of the time
My anxiety is awful - full of overthinking & over worrying & physical symptoms that anxiety brings along with it
I agree that this pandemic has had a severe impact on people with mental health problems and everyone really
Do you find the sunshine helps you?
It does help my mood & makes me want to do some pottering in the garden
Have you tried YouTube ? I listen to body scan meditation on there when l feel bad
It does help you relax and stop your mind from straying else where
I also do crosswords to keep my brain occupied
I do take meds & have done for many years - my anxiety has been at its worst for the past 2 years (my meds were increased then as l had a complete melt down)
I never have many days without panic/anxiety/depression some days I’m running at 75% ok (never above that) then other days it’s 25% !!
What is your sleep like??
This forum is excellent- there are so many suffering & it helps to hear different strategies of coping
It is hell, you are right, but there is light at the end of the tunnel- better times are coming l am sure
Try and be kind to yourself - you will once again get through this
I’m currently trying to do some light exercises on YouTube
Light they say !!!!! Don’t think so 😳
Sending you hugs 🤗

A

Anais

Thank you so much for your answer! I was considering medications but now have second thoughts since you tell me that you take them and you don't see any improvements. I take the sun, and listen to You Tube, do body scans, pray, but definitely during this last year of the Pandemic my mental health has deteriorated. I am considering starting therapy with a psychologist, in 2019 I was evaluated by a psychiatric doctor and was told to manage the symptoms with natural products before considering going into another kind of medications. It worked then but now I am facing the day alone as my husband still works and its overwhelming the lack of activities and purpose in life. I don't have kids, my parents are still alive but they get very sad when I tell them I feel bad and since they are both in their late 80's and I don't want to worry them. My Husband listens to me but its very hard to understand this condition by people who have never experienced it. I will be trying staying away from social media, and constant exposure to news, see if this helps. I am scared, very scared of been incapacitated by this monster. May God help us all!

A

Anais

I would not say you have no purpose, more like you fulfilled yours. You worked all your life and now you can not. You can still so plenty of things. My mother takes care of birds and paints the house. What do you want to do?

A

Anais

Thank you so much for your answer! I do gardening and take care of my house and my four dogs but still its very hard for me to be alone during the day and not been able to do the things I used to do before the pandemic. I feel like a storm passed over me and destroyed the life I used to have. I guess I will need to accept the new realities.

zula77

zula77

Hope you're doing okay. You have positive things in your life to focus on. Especially your dogs - one of the main things to help me is my dogs. They rely on you and love you! Take each day at a time and focus on the small things that make you smile

A

Anais

Hope you're doing okay. You have positive things in your life to focus on. Especially your dogs - one of the main things to help me is my dogs. They rely on you and love you! Take each day at a time and focus on the small things that make you smile
Thank you so much for your comments, I went for a medical checkup to make sure the increase in anxiety had nothing to do with a physical cause, thanks God everything is OK. I need to focus on positive things, definitely dogs are of great help, my biggest fear is to get sick and not be able of taking care of them. I will also considering therapies with a health professional, anything that can get me thru this difficult pandemic times.