Anxiety - Everything scares me!

N

Nelly24

Has anybody got anxiety to the point where just anything you look at scares or worries you, it's almost like I don't want to open my eyes, but even closing them doesn't help. What type of anxiety is this?

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

Sounds like generalized anxiety disorder - not related to anything particular, but everything is a terror nonetheless. I would really recommend therapy. A good clinical psychologist can do wonders. A lot of it has to do with self-application of learnt principles and clinical understanding; but a good psychologist can explain to you how to treat yourself - and keep track of your progress/obstacles along the way.

Battling an anxiety disorder is the toughest battle I've ever had to face. It comes with regret, depression, deep seated feelings of inadequacy, a lot of why's.... It does get better if you make a conscious effort for it to - and it isn't easy. It's slow and it's such a fight - but you learn a lot, it's a blessing disguised as a curse.

N

Nelly24

Sounds like generalized anxiety disorder - not related to anything particular, but everything is a terror nonetheless. I would really recommend therapy. A good clinical psychologist can do wonders. A lot of it has to do with self-application of learnt principles and clinical understanding; but a good psychologist can explain to you how to treat yourself - and keep track of your progress/obstacles along the way.

Battling an anxiety disorder is the toughest battle I've ever had to face. It comes with regret, depression, deep seated feelings of inadequacy, a lot of why's.... It does get better if you make a conscious effort for it to - and it isn't easy. It's slow and it's such a fight - but you learn a lot, it's a blessing disguised as a curse.
Thanks that's really helpful, i'm waiting for some CBT - do you think that will help or further help? Have you ever taken medication as well to assist?

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

I have taken medication but I don't personally recommend it. It's a short term solution to a long term problem - and antidepressants I generally avoid too. I haven't taken medication in a while. CBT will for sure help - that and exposure response therapy.

Be strong and battle this - you can do it.

N

Nelly24

I have taken medication but I don't personally recommend it. It's a short term solution to a long term problem - and antidepressants I generally avoid too. I haven't taken medication in a while. CBT will for sure help - that and exposure response therapy.

Be strong and battle this - you can do it.
Thanks appreciate the encouragement, doc wants me to take mirtazapine on low dosage to help whilst waiting for CBT.

G

gam9147

Medication is not necessarily bad, its an individual choice. Be aware they have side effects and some of the side effects may cause anxiety, in which case it may not help you. also medication can take I think about 6 weeks to start being effective and 6 months to be fully effective. By that time, you may already be far enough in to cognitive behavioral therapy to be feeling much better anyhow.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has a very high success rate, I too highly recommend. There are many books online too you can start reading in the meantime. My recommendation is 'the anxiety and phobia workbook' by Edmund J. Bourne.

The most important thing you can 'work on' in the meantime is to accept that you have anxiety, realize that it is OK and it will get better with therapy and allow yourself to accept your situation. Easier said than done as I'm having trouble with this step right now too.

A

allTheGoodNamesWereTaken1

Would be really interested to hear more about how your anxiety affects you. I clicked on this post when I read 'everything scares me' because I think I'm in a similar situation, though probably not quite the same thing.

G

Grnyzs9

My anxiety affects me to the point that I never leave my house by myself to avoid being in a situation that I have no control over I'm basically a big scary cat and fear the worse will happen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Anxiety Forum 1
N Anxiety Forum 0
S Anxiety Forum 10
B Anxiety Forum 3
J Anxiety Forum 2