• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety Disorder

J

Jada

Founding Member
I'm a Mum of two from Ireland and have had social anxiety and some ocd's for 10yrs now, i've never been on medication as i seemed to be over it for a while but it has now returned and i know dread taking my child to school as i fear i'm not breathing correctly and will hyperventilate. I also feel dizzy and sick in social occassions unless i'm at the back of the room. I think i fear losing control to a large extent, i could go on forever, anyone else feeling this bad?

D

Dollit

We've been talking on another thread about coping with panic attacks and anxiety - I'll find it and post the link here for you.

Actually the thread is in this Generalised Anxiety Disorder section marked spirals & circles. It's been a really good thread for me - I've learned from it.

Last edited:
J

Jada

Founding Member
Thanks, that would be great!

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hi jada :welcome:

the thread dollit suggested might be helpful. you are not alone in your anxiety :hug:

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hey... I ve just read the thread the Dollit recommended..... as I ve never seen it before (despite being on here most days) and there is some really good advice!

A

autobahn

Am I still suffering from anxiety or is there something else?

Hi guys.

Really nice to find this place and I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some clarity?

I have suffered from anxiety (and low-to-medium level depression) since 2004 following a major panic attack after the death of a loved one. I have never really been 'myself' since but I put on a brave face and try not to talk about this too much (now) because I reaslise that I may have to cope with this for the long-term and don't want to keep talking about it with friends, family members and the partner.

I am not on medication now as both SSRI's and Beta-Blockers didn't really have any effect with me, but I went through two dozen CBT sessions with two different therapists and have found my anxiety/depression a little easier to deal with - I wouldn't say I'm any better but I try my best to deal with it as best I can.

I have managed (I sometimes wonder how) to complete a degree, teach at university-level and I am now writing up a PhD, but this is becoming increasingly difficult. I admit I haven't spoken to a doctor or other health practitioner about my ongoing anxiety in well over 18-24 months and now with the stress of my university work, teaching, little money, job change in Sep/Oct, relationship issues and so forth I'm starting to feel like I'm 'spiralling' a little bit to the point where I can sit alone in a cafe and just feel anxious constantly for no apparent reason.

For the last six months I've started to wonder whether all of this is purely nerves or whether there is something physical going on too and that's where I could use some help:

For the last half a year I:

* Have found it near-impossible to drag myself out of bed before Noon-1pm - my anxiety and depression NEVER really caused this even when I was really bad;
* When I wake I feel VERY dehydrated and anxious (and sometimes dizzy) and this lasts most of the day and can go on into the next night;
* I have experienced blurred vision in my left eye before sleeping on three different occasions;
* I spend most of the day frustrated as I am alone (working on PhD is very lonely) but mostly because I can barely concentrate and this is affecting my work - I'm pushing deadlines back constantly;
* I feel constantly run down - hot, dizzy, head like it will explode (not aches but pressure in head), and do get these waves of 'downers' where I can barely move from sofa.

I find social situations very difficult but 'try' to get out as much as I can, I don't drink alcohol much (though 2 coffees a day) and I am always trying to exchange negative thinking for positive, the backbone of CBT I think :unsure:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel mentally any worse than I did but I seem to be feeling pretty bad PHYSICALLY - can anyone tell me whether this is just my mental health issues playing tricks or should I get checked out? I hate going to the doctor and feel like I'm going to be judged as a hypochondriac .

Be grateful for some feedback.

D

Dollit

Anxiety and depression can have quite devastating effects on our well-being, both physically and a mentally. Low to medium level depression wouldn't necessarily give you the can't drag myself up physically feeling but a higher grade depression frequently does.

Don't worry about sounding like a hypochondriac. Go to your GP and say what you've said here. Print out your post if necessary. If they can rule out something physical then you know what you're not dealing with.

As for meds - around 20% of people with depression will be medication resistant. There is no one size fits all when it comes to treatment.

And keep on posting here, we can only offer peer support but it's pretty powerful support. x