• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety Disorder without feeling anxious or panic?

P

projector

Is it possible for a person to have generalized anxiety disorder but experience only physical symptoms, without any panic attack or mentally feeling anxious?

I started suffering couple of physical symptoms 2 years ago, went to hospital for checkups and doctors could not find anything wrong with my body. One doctor thought I could have anxiety disorder so I went to see the psychiatrist he recommended. I did not get a conclusive diagnosis after seeing the psychiatrist, he said I look very calm and normal compare with his other patients with generalized anxiety disorder. I got prescribed with mirtazapine to test if it helps. After 3 months of the medicine, I believe it helps me to sleep better, improved my IBS symptoms but I still suffer other physical symptoms.

I still quite often encounter "attack" of shortness of breath and cold feet that usually last few hours, my heat beat is normal(<80bpm) when it happens and I don't mentally feeling panic or anxious at that time. Other chronic physical symptoms include body fatigue, bloated stomach, ringing ears, stiff muscle, muscle ache, blurred vision, mild headache. Does anyone here experience something's similar? I'm still not sure If I have anxiety disorder.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

:welcome: to the forum. Sorry you have anxiety. :hug:

P

projector

:welcome: to the forum. Sorry you have anxiety. :hug:

Thank you for the warm welcome. I wish I could have a conclusive diagnosis then I can focus on the treatment/management. I need help, I would like to know how common for a GAD patient only experiences physical symptoms but not much about mental ?

P

projector

It is just a disturbing phenomenon your body is going through.
Do not worry.
Are you eating well?
  • Try cutting out junk food and replace it with some green smoothies, soups, or berries. Banana is good for the tummy.
  • Learn a new language or a musical instrument.
  • Do not tune much into news or radio frequencies.
  • Get some crystal/stone healing if you believe in it.
  • Let go of your sweet self for a bit for our body needs relaxation, so does our spirit.
  • Try like-minded peer-support groups too.
  • Maybe you guys can try some healthy sport together.
  • It can be you are going through an awakening also, which is very interesting. Stay fine. Stay strong. :grouphug:
Thank you for the good suggestions, i really appreciate your response. Let's stay strong together in this difficult time.

C

Cyber_stan88

Hi there. Your post really hit a chord with me. I feel exactly the same. I’ve been in the same situation for 5 years now. Literally have all the physical symptoms you have listed on a day to day basis and a few others Like I’m a 3rd person, It’s really odd. It literally rules my life and is driving me crazy. I have recently started to become anxious but that’s because I’m anxious of how I’m feeling. Not anything else. I have beautiful wife kids. Nice house. Job etc. I have things a lot of people are not lucky enough to have but I have this GAD. that is ruling me day to day. I really hope for the both of us that this is just a phase in our lives that will come and go. As mine seems to creep up on me from no where. Woke up one morning feeling really weird and boom! Been like that every day since. Sorry I could give you a miracle cure. Just know that there is someone out there in the same position.
if I do come across something that works for me you’ll be the first to know!
stay safe.

A

Aleks82

I also get this for the last couple of months. It gets worse as I get up and try to do just regular stuff. Without trigger I just get all tensed, nervous, heart beating stronger and faster. And I cant't calm down. It really sucks.

If anyone else is experiencing this I would be thankful for reply.

P

projector

Hi there. Your post really hit a chord with me. I feel exactly the same. I’ve been in the same situation for 5 years now. Literally have all the physical symptoms you have listed on a day to day basis and a few others Like I’m a 3rd person, It’s really odd. It literally rules my life and is driving me crazy. I have recently started to become anxious but that’s because I’m anxious of how I’m feeling. Not anything else. I have beautiful wife kids. Nice house. Job etc. I have things a lot of people are not lucky enough to have but I have this GAD. that is ruling me day to day. I really hope for the both of us that this is just a phase in our lives that will come and go. As mine seems to creep up on me from no where. Woke up one morning feeling really weird and boom! Been like that every day since. Sorry I could give you a miracle cure. Just know that there is someone out there in the same position.
if I do come across something that works for me you’ll be the first to know!
stay safe.
Thank you! I really appreciate you for being so kind to share this with me, you let me know that I'm no alone. I started to make myself to have daily 30-45 minutes stretching/yoga exercises, it's not a cure but after a month of doing it, it seems to be quite helpful to manage my physical symptoms. In future If find a cure or something helps my situation, I will surely let you know. Hope you all the best and stay safe.

P

projector

I also get this for the last couple of months. It gets worse as I get up and try to do just regular stuff. Without trigger I just get all tensed, nervous, heart beating stronger and faster. And I cant't calm down. It really sucks.

If anyone else is experiencing this I would be thankful for reply.
I experience mostly just physical symptoms, your situation sounds like a classic anxiety disorder, I think you should visit a psychiatrist to check if he/she can help your situation.

Faith198

Faith198

I would say this sounds like a classic anxiety attack to me. It shows itself differently in other people. I use to almost faint when I first started having anxiety and I thought I had a serious heart problem. The ringing in the ears, blurred vision, and mild headache make me wonder about migraine too. Migraine can cause anxiety in the prodrome phase. But it’s hard to say. Most of the time migraine headaches are severe but I think they can be mild at times. You don’t always have to have the headache either to have them. Anxiety can cause a lot of weird feelings though.:hug: