• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety/depression/lockdown

P

Pinkthunder

Hello,
I went to the doctors about 2 months ago as my anxiety was out of Control. Panic attacks every day sometimes twice three times. Stopped driving stopped going out to the shops and couldn't be on my own, I have to have MIL here to keep my calm whilst OH is working. I have 2 children at home and couldnt cope with home schooling and felt trapped in my own home. They put me on escitalopram and propranolol. It's been a good 2 months and I'm doing better but still not there - still having some symptoms and my thoughts can spiral in a second. I have also started cbt therepy. I don't know weather lockdown has caused this but I just feel like I will never be back to my old self 😔 has any body else experienced this and come out the other side? xx

J

JeanPierre

Lockdown has caused extreme stress.
I know you have the strength to get better!
Welcome here.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Just about everyone I know has had stress magnified by lockdowns and being shut in. The normal things we do to relax aren't options anymore. Sporting events are TV or forget it. Walking the shopping malls? Way reduced. Meeting friends for a meal out? Haven't done it in a year. Even walking your dog is a challenge, you have to find a park which is open and then avoid other people.

Sure, everyone is anxious and having panic attacks. You're not alone, not by a long shot. All I can say is hopefully things will get back to somewhat normal by sometime this summer-maybe by the end of it? Until then just try and stay the course and we'll all make it OK. The worst is behind us, I truly believe that.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Just about everyone I know has had stress magnified by lockdowns and being shut in. The normal things we do to relax aren't options anymore. Sporting events are TV or forget it. Walking the shopping malls? Way reduced. Meeting friends for a meal out? Haven't done it in a year. Even walking your dog is a challenge, you have to find a park which is open and then avoid other people.

Sure, everyone is anxious and having panic attacks. You're not alone, not by a long shot. All I can say is hopefully things will get back to somewhat normal by sometime this summer-maybe by the end of it? Until then just try and stay the course and we'll all make it OK. The worst is behind us, I truly believe that.
The following is a good article on maintaining your mental health during the lockdown. It also has links to tips that you can try to improve your mental health during this stressful time:

Lockdown and your mental health

J

Jadethebabe

Hello,
I went to the doctors about 2 months ago as my anxiety was out of Control. Panic attacks every day sometimes twice three times. Stopped driving stopped going out to the shops and couldn't be on my own, I have to have MIL here to keep my calm whilst OH is working. I have 2 children at home and couldnt cope with home schooling and felt trapped in my own home. They put me on escitalopram and propranolol. It's been a good 2 months and I'm doing better but still not there - still having some symptoms and my thoughts can spiral in a second. I have also started cbt therepy. I don't know weather lockdown has caused this but I just feel like I will never be back to my old self 😔 has any body else experienced this and come out the other side? xx
Hi there - I have just joined. Lockdown has certainly got to me. You can get through it and it wont be with you forever. I had extreme dizziness years ago and told it was anxiety which made sense. Dizziness changes your life completely and if your partner nor friends have never experienced it - you feel very alone. I was on propranolol for years which helped very much and got me through it. I got so bad I was scared being alone and could not go shopping as it panicked me and made me want to pass out. My doc was great and when the prop was not acting she kept upping it and told me to "go with her on it" when she reached the final dose allowed it kicked in and it was fabulous to feel me again. I have been the old me since but this last year due to our friend Covid it is coming back big time. So here I go again. But take heart - I was really bad and a wreck but came out fine.

P

Pinkthunder

Thankyou everyone for the support, I'm plodding on everyday trying to get through the day. Hoping for better days 🤞😊 xx

F

Falling over a cliff

I don't know if this forum is for me, because I have never had to admit that I can't cope with my situation

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Falling over a cliff. Welcome. Admitting that you can't cope with your situation is a gigantic first step. A lot of us have difficulty coping with our situation, that's why this forum exists. We help each other cope.

J

Jogger44

Hi there - I have just joined. Lockdown has certainly got to me. You can get through it and it wont be with you forever. I had extreme dizziness years ago and told it was anxiety which made sense. Dizziness changes your life completely and if your partner nor friends have never experienced it - you feel very alone. I was on propranolol for years which helped very much and got me through it. I got so bad I was scared being alone and could not go shopping as it panicked me and made me want to pass out. My doc was great and when the prop was not acting she kept upping it and told me to "go with her on it" when she reached the final dose allowed it kicked in and it was fabulous to feel me again. I have been the old me since but this last year due to our friend Covid it is coming back big time. So here I go again. But take heart - I was really bad and a wreck but came out fine.
hi how much propranolol do you take a day? I have been on 40mg but reduced to 20mg but starting to get palpitations again so my anxiety has got worse but want to get off meds as been on them for over a year and was feeling good

J

JeanPierre

Welcome Jade!
I have always loved that name.
I experience dizziness when stressed too.
Seeing and hearing become dull.
Has your doctor ever suggested Magnesium?
I hope all is well today.