• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety- dealing with it and the Attacks.

S

ScottishGirl21

For a very long time I've been living with depression/anxiety but in the last 7 weeks I've started to have anxiety attacks. Never having experienced these attacks before.I panicked which is now know is the worst thing to do.My first attack was the scariest thing I've ever had happen to me. The heart racing the vomiting the shaking for hours on end until i came out of it was SO scary! I have them on a daily basis. I feel like my whole life has been put on hold due to my anxiety taking over my mind and body. I don't go out anymore I stay at home in bed because I fear that I could have one outside and don't want people looking at me like I am some kind of freak. they range from low mild to severe. I cant be on my own anymore I struggle to control them . I hate living like this. My family just don't understand how scared I am of coping with this condition every day. I just want to be able to control all this and not rely on medication to help me cope.

Jolly

Jolly

Hi Scottishgirl. I do know how you feel. I suffer GAD and a phobia. Do you have any support or do you not want to go down that route. I am seeing a therapist twice monthly which is helping me overcome the fear. Have you tried mindfulness and deep breathing exercises. These have to be done on a daily basis to get any benefit. Have you spoke to your doctor about it. I do feel for you. This forum is lovely with a lot of helpful people with advice etc. I hope you enjoy the forum. Thinking of you x

S

ScottishGirl21

When I tell people I have anxiety they laugh in my face like its nothing and this frustrates me. I have self referred for counselling. I have tried these but I have a very stressful situation going on at the moment that leaves me unable to live in my own home. I have been to my doctor and she has had me on medication for this for 7 weeks now and sometimes they work sometimes they don't. This is my first time using this kind of website. Thanks for the Post I appreciate it it means alot x

Jolly

Jolly

Some people just don’t get it. Anxiety is debilitating. I manage on a med. I still work part time but last night was particularly bad so had to take 2 tabs before I popped to work. I to hate being on my own. Hubby working from home at the moment but dread the day he has to go back. I am pleased you have self referred yourself. Just one small pointer. You both have to click so that you be can be open and honest. I wish you so much luck at this sad time. If you need to chat just pm me. I am sure others on the forum will also be helpful. X

S

ScottishGirl21

I am waiting to hear back from a counselling service. I'm attempting to change my diet I've signed up for stop smoking I'm currently trying everything and anything to get this under control its the hardest thing I've ever attempted.

Jolly

Jolly

It is really hard at the moment and with lockdown even harder. If you have a good hour that is a positive. Just on if you need to vent. Congratulations on the smoking just wish I could at the moment but I will. I think lockdown has not helped people like us at all. We cannot even get to see a doctor. Getting past reception on the telephone after 30 minutes or so is a nightmare, then you are told a nurse practitioner will ring you back. It is quite scary the state of the go service. Let us think on being positive because at least we are not alone with the forum. It has helped me a lot to be able to vent and maybe just chatting. I do feel for you. Here is a bunch of flowers 💐 xx

S

ScottishGirl21

I feel so lucky that I found this forum. Feels good to speak to others who understand and can share tips etc on how to help each other. We will get through this 💪 I feel that bit better knowing this site is here for venting and chatting 😊

Jolly

Jolly

I am so pleased to meet you. I do mindfulness Which I should do on a daily basis and it really helped with the deep breathing along with it. It took me a week to be to do it properly as anxiety was all over the place. I did two sessions this afternoon and fell asleep which I would not dream of doing. I do hope you get the help you need for this debilitating disorder. I am thinking of you. Take care xx

M

Megan5

Hi Scottish Girl, Anxiety is the worst, it paralyzes you and takes over! I've had anxiety since I was age 9 when I used to beg my Mom not to leave me alone at night to look after my little sister. Every time she left I'd have a Panic attack, hard to breath, heart pounding, sweating, crying feeling like I'm dying. She and my sister thought I was being silly and stupid, worrying about nothing. I would say, "Please don't do because I get these terrible feelings and I can't breath. Anyway, I still get them, but the difference is, I know exactly why they are happening, and I know what to do. Had 12 years of EFT (Emotional Focussed Therapy) and it helped me tremendously. I also consulted with the head of Anxiety Disorders at the hospital who recommended the best book ever! Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes......a game changer for sure!

S

ScottishGirl21

Thanks for the advice everyone it's really helping me understand my condition better now I just need to find what my triggers are and get them under control 😊
Hi Megan5 I know exactly how you feel that's the exact attacks I take but with the severe ones it's extreme body shaking and vomiting and needing constant reassuring that I'm going to be okay. Today's been a good day not had an attack as of yet and I will definitely have a look at the book you recommended. Just waiting to hear back for my one to one therapy sessions. First time ever trying it so it'll be interesting to see if it helps me like it does for so many others😊