• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety cost me my job

N

Noel-Is-God

I can't help but think that the reason I recently lost my job was because of my anxiety.
I mentioned to my line manager I'm struggling with anxiety.
Any advice and experiences with anxiety affecting your working life?

M

Mastiff mom

I am so sorry you've gone through this. Do you think being candid with your boss caused or was your anxiety affecting your job? Many people have biases about depression, anxiety and so forth. I'm very sorry you have lost employment for having a condition you can't magically get rid of. I suffer a great deal of anxiety myself and am grateful I don't have to work. But if I did, I can only imagine how hard it would be. Big hugs to you.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I feel anxiety is gaining greater recognition has a debilitating condition. honesty is always best.

coldwater00

coldwater00

You can't lose you job on the basis of a disability alone. If this was the only grounds for losing your job then it's unfair dismissal.

N

Noel-Is-God

Difficult to say whether being honest with my boss was the best thing to do now. I feel I did the right thing by doing so and don't regret telling them. Thanks for your responses I agree it was unfair. It was only a temporary role though and I'm hoping to find something else permanent.

J

jedenchalan

I'm self employed and I avoid telling clients. They wouldn't understand and would just start working for somebody else. Can't say that I don't understand their point of view. Anyway, changing my lifestyle for one where I need less money has helped greatly. I have more space to deal with my issues and I have less stress coming from financial pressure. I do know though that not everybody can just go live somewhere else with relatives, so good luck Noel, hang in there.

bluemoon2

bluemoon2

I was fired from my last paid job because of my anxiety. They were pretty obvious about it too. I'm sorry to hear this has happened to you. I've coped by getting back into volunteer work to help get over my phobias of returning to work because of the anxiety being discriminated in the past. You should look into doing some volunteer work even if its just an hour a day, its very good therapy and builds up your skills. I had terrible social anxiety before I started volunteering, now I'm scoring at least an interview for paid employment again every two weeks. I've been out of work since July last year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mimi14 Anxiety Forum 1
T Anxiety Forum 14
B Anxiety Forum 2
A Anxiety Forum 6
J Anxiety Forum 4