Anxiety coping mechanisms

designguy93

designguy93

I've been coping with anxiety for years and recently it's becoming more noticeable and affecting parts of my life. I have shaky hands at times, mostly when I'm meeting friends or new people. When I'm at work I tend to wait to make myself a cup of tea if I see someone go into the kitchen, same as if I need to go to the toilet. It's nothing really I don't feel but somehow I stop myself doing it. I went to the doctor and they gave me leaflets to things I could do to help.

I was wondering if anyone has heard or uses any coping mechanisms that could try and help me or anyone else?

Thank you in advance

LouisaMogs

LouisaMogs

I’ve tried different coping mechanisms, but they weren’t very helpful to me personally, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be for you.

Mindfulness can help with anxiety to some extent. There are some really good apps to help with that.

What could help is medication as a temporary fix, and some CBT therapy. Have you tried any of that?

designguy93

designguy93

I’ve tried different coping mechanisms, but they weren’t very helpful to me personally, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be for you.

Mindfulness can help with anxiety to some extent. There are some really good apps to help with that.

What could help is medication as a temporary fix, and some CBT therapy. Have you tried any of that?
That's great thank you! I'll have a look at those :)

No I haven't I saw my doctor and she was hesitant to give me any medication so mentioned about the information on the leaflets and a place I could go to be within a group, but that works me up an awful lot

G

gam9147

If you want to start with some not so light reading there are books in cognitive behavioral therapy and anxiety. I strongly recommend the "anxiety and phobia workbook" by edmund bourne which covers a wide range of anxiety problems and all the basic CBT techniques. Of course a therapist is your best bet to work through these things, but it sounds like maybe you aren't willing to go that route just yet, so the book is the next best thing.

meditation is good, breathing exercises are also good, physical activity is great. these are a couple things to start with for pretty much any anxiety issue.

N

natalie

I always always listen to musicals and music, before going out s hopping, or out to volunteer, music is very calming and powerful to sooth even severe anxieties down.

Also, I'll wear bands for anxieties, which I discovered once that the pulsating nerve bu tton, keeps my anxieties right down. And also, I now take Pregabalin, for officially twice a day.

I highly recommend Pregabalin for all forms, of mild anxieties. To enable to prevent in my case travel anxieties flaring up.

exdx

exdx

this is the kind if thread needed, apart from getting giving pills which dont always work my aniexty is crippling and ruiins my life tbh would love to hear of people who are doing well with dealing with there anxiety.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hi @designguy93 Ive attached some examples of coping with anxiety written by mental health professionals.
I find it's difficult to reply to specific examples - like the one you provided about the work place. To be effective, these skills require some tailoring for the individual, which I believe should be done by that individual. Maybe not entirely bespoke. Cognitive skills for anxiety require a full commitment to their use and that's why it is so important that we make them our own.

10 Tips for Managing Your Anxiety

5 Strategies to Relieve Anxiety

designguy93

designguy93

this is the kind if thread needed, apart from getting giving pills which dont always work my aniexty is crippling and ruiins my life tbh would love to hear of people who are doing well with dealing with there anxiety.
That's what I thought, my doctor wasn't keen on giving me medication, and I know some people try alternatives, hope others find these just as useful as myself