• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety Attack

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It was almost the end of class, and we were supposed to be working on an assignment with a partner, but I couldn't think. 9:00 at night is too late for my brain to work, and I could feel a sense of panic rising in me. I went to the bathroom to try to calm down, and then went back to class and everyone was leaving. I was trying to pack up my books and all the while I could feel the anxiety building. I could feel myself starting to hyperventilate, and it got worse when I walked outside to my car. I sat in my car trying to breathe, and when I finally managed to slow down my breathing I started sobbing loudly and I couldn't stop. I don't know how long I sat there crying. I was scared to drive home because I had to drive on the freeway. I finally started driving, but I couldn't stop crying, great big sobs, and I screamed at God and told God how mad and scared and lonely and emotionally exhausted I am. I cried so hard that I felt like I was going to throw up. I got home safe, but I feel so desperately alone.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Oh prariechick horrid experience.
Panic attacks are dreadful, I am more in control of mine now as I try to breathe deeply as soon as on starts to hit. They still happen though. One of my worst things, when I get a bad one, is almost like a tic in my face - I look like I am having a stroke. Plus the fact so many people don’t understand. If my family knows I’m having an attack they try to reason with me and that seems to be the worst possible thing.

Only advice I can give is to stop moving or doing anything until the attack is over. Fighting it can make it worse

Gajolene

Gajolene

Aww hun those panick attacks are really horrible. I used to get that way at the end of my last real good paying job while I was preparing myself to break up with my ex spouse as well, I dreaded the drive home and always started into panick before I got there. Sometimes I thought I'd never stop crying, but it will get better. Be patient with yourself. Did you try any deep breathing or distraction exercises at all to settle the panick?. before the crying started. You must be completely exhausted after all that. Hope your better today when your day starts.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks Tabbykitten and Gajolene. I am just hoping I can make it through the day without another anxiety attack. I have therapy at 9:00 this morning, and then I will be doing a presentation in class tonight on childhood stress. What a cruel joke. I didn't pick the topic.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My presentation went really well. It is such a relief to have it done and over. I feel like it's been hanging over my head all semester. Part of my presentation was about using sensory activities to help children relax and find a calm place inside themselves, and I made 3 different colours of play dough and lots of colours of coloured rice for my classmates to play with during my presentation. Everyone loved it! And I got to talk about one of my little boys from my former work place sensory activities helped him relax. And my professor even told me in person that I did a good job on my presentation. For me, with my anxiety and low self esteem that meant more to me than getting 28/30 on my presentation.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My presentation went really well. It is such a relief to have it done and over. I feel like it's been hanging over my head all semester. Part of my presentation was about using sensory activities to help children relax and find a calm place inside themselves, and I made 3 different colours of play dough and lots of colours of coloured rice for my classmates to play with during my presentation. Everyone loved it! And I got to talk about one of my little boys from my former work place sensory activities helped him relax. And my professor even told me in person that I did a good job on my presentation. For me, with my anxiety and low self esteem that meant more to me than getting 28/30 on my presentation.
Wow i am so happy for/with you! It is fantastic you got those marks on your presentation and even better for the way you felt inside.

I used to be a play leader at a school and nursery for just over a year. We made a bonfire collage out of craft materials, leaves, twigs etc on a nature walk we went out for; we had a tapas stylie food share afterwards.
All the colour...
It was a highlight of my past to be able to be with children and toddlers and enhance their creativity and fuel their imagination.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used to love seeing children's delight whenever I would bring out a new sensory activity that I'd never done with them before! They were SUPER EXCITED about the coloured rice and apparently they still play with it and remember that I made it! And to be honest, whenever I was supervising any of these kinds of activities I liked to get my hands into it too. It's calming for adults too, not just children.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I used to love seeing children's delight whenever I would bring out a new sensory activity that I'd never done with them before! They were SUPER EXCITED about the coloured rice and apparently they still play with it and remember that I made it! And to be honest, whenever I was supervising any of these kinds of activities I liked to get my hands into it too. It's calming for adults too, not just children.
Absolutely, omg colour and creativity. :loveshower::cheer:......:hug5:

rubyrose

rubyrose

Sorry to hear about the anxiety attack, but I'm pleased that your presentation went so well. You should be proud of yourself. Great job :hug: