• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety Attack?

S

SC1974

Hate to admit it but I am at the end of my teather with this. Maybe talking on here will help. I've had a terrible Easter.

For the last week I have let my worries get on top of me, and this culmulated in a headache mainly around my right ear area and near my right eye that developed probably early to mid last week.

Since the headache developed I have been off my food and have to force stuff down, I feel so depressed and the more I try and exercise, or take my attention away from this thing, the more it creeps back in. It feels like my brain has turned on itself. Every low self esteem issue magnified X 100.

I see stuff on tv and seem to be more emotionally affected for some reason. It reminds me of a kind of drunken/stoned paranoia.

Yesterday I dragged myself out to a relatives birthday party with my dad and sister and got myself lightly drunk on just a few drinks. This seemed to shut down all the negative stuff for a while and cleared the headache, and as I was sobering up in the evening I felt perhaps it was in remmission.

Then at about 1am I suffered what I think was a panic or anxiety attack. I thought I was close to death. The sensation was I was either about to drop off to sleep or had just gone off, and began to panic that my heart rate was too fast and that I was going to have a heart attack if I fell asleep.

Whilst this was going on I have one foot in a dream about work, where I was struggling to understand a spreadsheet or a presentation (not relevant to my worries), but when I woke up I had to go downstairs to calm myself down. My left hand was tingling and my chest and left tricep ached. It felt very real. I could tell this was brought on by stress that had risen up as I was dozing off.

I turned on the pc to look up anxiety attacks and it seemed to fit the bill. I also checked my resting heart rate as it has been throbbing all week with the other symptoms, and this was about 86-88bpm.

After about half an hour I went back to bed, feeling I had calmed down but I still felt achey and stressed. Next thing I remember is seeing the clock and it was 7am. I wasn't sure if I'd slept for long, maybe just a few hours, but it was restless sleep.

I don't feel like I can talk to family, girlfriend etc as they have all got a lot on their plate right now.

I would also add that my mum got a brain tumour about 15 years ago which had the same symptoms and eventually killed her. This adds to my worries. I know this all sounds irrational and panicky but this is what my brain is doing to me.

I just wondered in my desperation if anyone can suggest any advice.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Its always best to get it checked out with your doctor if you can. It would be worth it to try and set your mind at rest.
KP

L

lizzie g

I too would advise going to your Dr.

I suffer from anxiety & panic attacks & it is a horrible experience. Just remember no one has ever died from having a panic attack. The feelings you are experiencing are just feelings nothing else. I know how hard that is to believe when it's happening, trust me I've been there.

I too have found it difficult to talk to my friends with my recent episode, a lot of them also have things going on at the moment or they don't know what to say to me, one thing I can suggest is the Samaritans. They have been an absolute godsend for me & sometimes it is easier to talk to someone impartial & they will not judge you. They are also available 24/7. They've had quite a few early morning calls from me I can tell you.

I hope you feel better & try & stay positive. It can be hard but it does make such a difference.

:grouphug:

G

gadmommy

experinced with panic attacks

I've had panic attacks since I was 15, and yes, what you experienced was one. I've been to the point of lying on the floor with my husband repeatedly telling me to take deep breathes. I have to focus on his voice and eventually calm down, but afterwards feel very weak and out of it. Sadly, the only thing that I worked for me to stop this is Xanax, which I take when I feel one coming on. Having a good support system helps too. My husband has helped me numerous times and knows exactly what to do, so I feel very blessed to have him there for me.