• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety attack experiences

T

theanxiouspanda

Hi everyone,
Im new here, I was diagnosed with GAD in May 2017. I'm a 35 y/o female. Since my diagnosis i was prescribed Escitalopram (Cipralex) 5mg a day. I stayed on that for about 3 years which helped me a lot, until I gradually went off it about 1 year ago. I insisted on managing my anxiety without meds. Things were going ok, I'd have the odd mild anxiety attack which i would manage and get through with not much trouble.

About 5 days ago, i had some heart palpitations so I took an Inderal 10mg (which I took in the past to help with heart palpitations) an hour before sleep and I woke up the next day with the most severe anxiety attack, exactly the same intensity as when I first experienced it in 2017. Nothing in particular happened to trigger it (maybe a long period of time.of accumulated stress?) All the physical symptoms:

• Fast heart beats
  • Shaking
  • Whole body tensed up like crazy, clenched jaw
  • Intrusive thoughts
  • Lightheaded
  • Lack of concentration
  • Sense of terror
  • Tightness in my chest
  • Nausea/no appetite
Obsessing over my medical health thinking something is wrong with me, which in turn would make me panic more and worsen my symptoms.

This attack/these symptoms lasted nearly 4 days. throughout the course of the 4 days the symptoms would vary in severity. Sleep wasnt that great, I'd sleep about 6 hours a day and would wake up every hour or so from a nightmare or that feeling of falling. Today has been calmer, but I feel so exhausted, almost feels like Im going to faint. If i move around my heartbeats go up and feel lightheaded. I started eating bit by bit throughout the day, managed to get some naps, still SO exhausted.

Does anybody else feel THIS exhausted after attacks? Also, how long do these kind of attacks last for you? My heart rate during the 4 days have been around 104-116bpm. My resting heart rate is usually 85-92 bpm. I used to be a heavy smoker for about 16 years, but I quit in 2017, with vaping.

I've been through this before but because its been over 2 years since i had an attack with this severity, I'm panicking all over again as if it's my first time.

I'd like to hear from you all / your experiences 💜

Bod

Bod

I will never forget my first bad attack, i was on a bus coming home when my heart rate went sky high started sweating and i totally froze and gripped the bus seat i tried to call for help but no words came out of my mouth at all and i was lucky that a doctor was on the same bus and helped it must of taken him ages to un do my grip on the seat and i had to be carried off the bus to a waiting ambulance to get me to hospital it took me days to get over it.

T

theanxiouspanda

I will never forget my first bad attack, i was on a bus coming home when my heart rate went sky high started sweating and i totally froze and gripped the bus seat i tried to call for help but no words came out of my mouth at all and i was lucky that a doctor was on the same bus and helped it must of taken him ages to un do my grip on the seat and i had to be carried off the bus to a waiting ambulance to get me to hospital it took me days to get over it.
I feel that all too well, it was the same for me the first time, but I was in a supermarket. I'm sorry you experienced that.

When you say it took you days to get over it, how did you feel in the days to follow? Does it still take you as long to recover or does it depend on the severity of the attack?

Strawberry Swing

Strawberry Swing

I am sorry you are going through this anxious panda. Many years ago I suffered from chronic anxiety and panic attacks and it was extremely exhausting and draining, both mentally and physically. Daily relaxation exercises helped me enormously but it takes time, practice and patience. Your experience of worrying about your health sounds similar to mine too. I hope things start to improve for you soon.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

The first time I had a panic attack was due to either a lung or heart infection. The doctors weren’t sure. Since then it’s been a constant thing.