• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety attack, dizziness and migraines

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I have been suffering anxiety and depression for 10 years and lost my beloved mum to cancer last year plus this year has been stress with getting a letter from ATOS and pulling a muscle in my lower back which distressed me. I have been suffering scary symptoms recently which is worrying me.

This started early last month when I was sitting watching television when I got weird coloured lines appear in my vision as if a migraine was going to appear. With that I started feeling light headed, my heart was beating fast and I went into a panic attack as I thought I was going to pass out. I ended up getting rushed to A&E where the doctors checked my heart, lungs and blood pressure but all was fine. I was sent home where I recovered but there were times when I would close my eyes to go to sleep where I felt A scary falling feeling and about to have another panic attack but with opening my eyes I stopped it.

Everything was fine then over a week ago after suffering a hangover from a previous night of drinking I was sitting at my computer when I felt my jaw and back of neck getting tense and kind of stiff and I felt dizzy with pressure on the bridge of my nose, forehead which instantly put me into a panic attack. The feeling was awful. My heart was beating fast, my pulse was racing, I could feel acid reflux and I felt I was going to pass out. I was scared to lie down incase I would pass out or die. Anyway this lasted for a few hours until I finally lay down and went to sleep hoping I'd feel better the next day. However that isn't the case so far as I have been suffering severe anxiety and aggitation in the morning and the dizziness with the head pressure in the afternoons which I think is some kind of migraine without pain. Also I notice I get light headed and dizzy when doing anything active like walking into town or even getting up to go to the toilet. The dizziness isn't head spinning as I am able to walk straight it is more light headed as if my head is floating. Only time I am fine is the evenings lying down resting.

I have been in hell with this as its given me severe depression too and all my GP will give me is migraine tablets and anti depressants which I don't want to take.

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

This anxiety and the attacks are really making me feel I'm living in hell.

I went back to my GP and he gave me a blood test for liver, kidneys, thyroid and blood sugar. He also checked my blood pressure and my blood pressure was normal but my pulse rate was fast. He seemed okay with me that I didn't take anti-depressants that he prescribed me and seemed okay that I'm taking Magnesium Citrate and vitamin B3 (niacin).

Sadly, so far I haven't felt any difference with the Magnesium and B3 but I read that it takes time. I get my blood test results in a few days.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Artmuzz, the awful dizziness with panic attacks is the absolute pits. I tend to get vertigo, probably stress related, anyway but it is far worse when I am really stressed and that is when the panic attacks hit as well.

I take a herbal remedy - St John’s Wort - as I feel it helps a bit. I would rather that than taking antidepressants. Sounds like your GP is understanding and that helps.

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I got my blood test results back. My bloods are fine and normal except the plasma visosity was slightly raised but nothing to concerning.

It has been nearly a month I have had this dizzy light headed spaced out feeling and it's getting me down. Only time I don't feel the light headedness and spaced out feeling is in the evening when I'm lying on the sofa. The anxiety is calming down a little but I still have problems sleeping then wakening up in the early morning feeling anxious.

H

Himynameis

I seen you post and I created an account just to answer your question lol. I suffer from the same thing and I honestly think its your posture. If you hunch over the computer a lot of strain builds on your neck muscles and you have to stretch them gently to relieve the pressure. Thats probably why the top of your head felt tense also because all of the muscles are connected. The neck muscles can become tight which cuts off some of the blood to the brain in some cases which leaves you feeling a bit light headed. its nothing to worry about. I would recommend gently stretching your chest, shoulders and neck to relieve the muscles. And the more stressed you become the tighter you hold these muscles so try and relax. I hope I helped somewhat my friend :)

S

Sharontoplis

I have similar weird episodes especially when in bed!!. Xx

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

Thanks for the replies.

Well it's been 2 months now that I've felt this way and the only thing that's changed is that I no longer wake up with panic attacks and my appetite seems to be getting better. I mentioned the possibility of it being my posture and circulation in my neck but all my doctor seems interested in is giving me pills.

My light headed/dizziness and tightness/pressure in my face and jaws has only reduced a little bit but I still get it. The problem I seem to have now is the feeling of being out of it all the time as if I'm not really here like I'm in a dream state and it's making me feel depressed and distressed. My vision seems to be a little fuzzy too and I get floaters in my eyes. Walking into supermarkets or anywhere with artificial lighting is weird. Also, sometimes when I'm in town I feel I'm walking on air and I feel slightly shaky.

I have also developed a phobia for the vast open spaces. My friend recently took me for a picnic at the beach but I freaked out with another panic attack after thinking to myself what would happen if the world would go upside down and I fell into the blue sky.

Last edited:
V

vikmoi

anxiety can give you so many physical symptoms, i get vertigo, tinnitus, lump in throat, feeling sick, dizzy, light headed, pains in my chest, palpitations, finding it hard to breath, the list goes on. Hopefully for the sake of your health these are anxiety related. i struggled daily to breathe, going to the doctor many times i was told it was "all in my head" this was when i was about 18, it would have been nice if they took the time to explain what was going on. I was given medication and i never wanted to take it, anxiety. I went on still having the same issues and new symptoms appearing etc and eventually i started to take a beta blocker, my breathing was fine at first, there are times when my anxiety kicks in and i struggle to breathe but 70% of the time I'm fine with that. other symptoms still come and go, but its really made a different physically. mentally, I also panic at the beach, i feel like gravity is going to fail and ill plummet into space, its crazy because i know I'm being irrational, but i can't help it. i think the only way to overcome that is to speak with someone, a professional who has experience with helping people with anxiety.

N

natalie

HI,

I feel sorry for you regarding the anxieties, and sometimes severe, I used to feel mild anxieties, before reaching a certain level of posiitive medication dose.

For anxeities, and stress as well, now this is a very old trick of mine, but still works brilliantly for me, music listening to cds. And also to aid to prevent stress, when reasonably well physically, I suffer with the odd aches and pains here and there, I workout in the mode of aerobics, salsa in at home, and I'll attend zumba classes.

For the anxieties, now I live at home with parents, and brother, I tend to virtually listen to cds, in my personal walkman, and headphones, for all day, and tracks of music listening are very much a big help to prevent any anxieties filtering through and even though, I am on a certain level now of doseage.

Fortunately, I haven't suffered with any panic attacks, luckily. I suffer am very well now though, stablised through med, of mild tendancies of szchophrenia conditions, not very severe, thankfully.

Music i feel, is very much a powerful, and a very relaxent tool.

Natalie.