• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and sleep.

F

FionaMay

Hi everyone,

I've only really developed anxiety in the past few weeks. My anxiety is really effecting my sleep, its making me feel as though if i sleep i am not safe. So part of me wants to sleep because its tired but the other part says no! I've always got a constant conflict going on in my head, and my emotions are all over the place. I start to feel sick with anxiety as the evening approaches. I live with a friend so i know that i am not alone in the house and usually this makes me feel safe, but when he is not here i get really panicky. But now i feel panicky going to bed even when he is here! Has anyone else felt like this and can relate? I feel like i'm weird!

Thanks!

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It's been a very long time that i've had sleeping problems.

I can relate to what you're saying about a feeling of being unsafe around sleep.
Except i'm the opposite, in which i'd rather be alone in my flat and can't sleep when i'm around other people. Even though on one level I trust people, a part of me still has doubts.
You're very vulnerable when you sleep.

Something that has helped me is putting a mosquito-net type thing around my bed. You can get some that are actually really pretty. Mine has bunting around the hoop.
I think having that layer of fabric around me helps me feel more protected.
I also check all of my locks before I sleep.

Apravo

Apravo

Hi,

I would say this is very common for a lot of people at certain times in their life. I too have felt like this before, in the end I always fall asleep as tiredness wins. I go for a brisk walk most evenings, don't drink tea/coffee after 7pm and take a bottle of water to bed.

Your certainly not weird, I have friends who have periods of poor sleep and this in turn making them feel nervous as evening approaches. The thing to always remember is the positive, that you always end up falling asleep and you always end up waking up and nothing bad has happened.

Take care