• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety and Sertraline

A

AndrewDN

Hi there,not sure if I’m in the right place,but I am 49yo and have suffered with anxiety and depression much of my life.I’ve been on Sertraline 100mg for about twenty years,it has helped to keep me on an even keel,obviously with ups and downs,various crises,but it has helped. Last week I started waking up early and having terrible anxiety straight away,I tried to stay in bed,but had to get up,too restless and feeling terrible.I contacted my practice and the doctor increased Sertraline to 150mg and gave some Oxazepam too.I’ve now had 7 days of the increased dose and my sleep is not good,still waking early feeling awful.I feel low,having to force myself to do things before going for a lay down,I’m exhausted but can’t settle.The increased dose doesn’t seem to be helping at all,I know they don’t work immediately,but I’m not sure it’s ever going to improve.I dread going to bed at night knowing I’ll be waking up early.Any comments would be much appreciated

F

fragrant_violet

20 years on the same antidepressant is well above average. There comes a time it just poops out. You need a switch to something else

Foxjo

Foxjo

Hi @AndrewDN
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Yeah i think a med review would be a good idea.
Have another chat with your doctor and see what they think.
Hugs
Fox

A

AndrewDN

I must admit it did cross my mind,but I always believed tolerance didn’t occur with antidepressants,I’d never heard of poop out but it is out there on the internet.This fills me with unease as I’ve been on Sertraline for so long and I have had problems in the past with some other antidepressants(TCA drugs and Paroxetine).What would I switch to?

F

fragrant_violet

I must admit it did cross my mind,but I always believed tolerance didn’t occur with antidepressants,I’d never heard of poop out but it is out there on the internet.This fills me with unease as I’ve been on Sertraline for so long and I have had problems in the past with some other antidepressants(TCA drugs and Paroxetine).What would I switch to?
There are plenty of others including newer ones

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on Sertraline 50mg, been on it for social anxiety for just over four years now so I'm glad you got a good 20 years out of it.

I'm also on two anti-psychotics that I hope I can get a few decades out of before they lose efficacy.

And as a side note my best mates partner is from Doncaster, small world eh? I'm practically a neighbour from Sheffield. Been a while since I've been to Donny though, I think I last went there when I was in college ('97 or '98) with some class mates, we went swimming at the Dome.

A

AndrewDN

Thankyou so much for replying,it has helped and I’ve taken on board what’s been said. My yearly review is coming up soon,I’m also type 2 diabetic,and will discuss things then,though I find these GP telephone ‘consultations’ unsatisfactory,I’m not terribly good on the phone.I’ve had a better day today,but don’t like to say too much in case it all goes wrong again

A

AndrewDN

I have spoken to GP regarding Sertraline increase and continued anxiety/low mood(though increased dose has calmed the really bad,crippling anxiety down,it’s still there,underlying).Although there has been some slight improvement with anxiety He wants me to try Escitalopram-to take the Escitalopram along with Sertraline for two weeks,then if all is going ok gradually withdraw the Sertraline-he called it ‘cross tapering’-does this sound ok? Is it ok to take two at the same time?He also mentioned Venlafaxine

I

Inie

Hi there,not sure if I’m in the right place,but I am 49yo and have suffered with anxiety and depression much of my life.I’ve been on Sertraline 100mg for about twenty years,it has helped to keep me on an even keel,obviously with ups and downs,various crises,but it has helped. Last week I started waking up early and having terrible anxiety straight away,I tried to stay in bed,but had to get up,too restless and feeling terrible.I contacted my practice and the doctor increased Sertraline to 150mg and gave some Oxazepam too.I’ve now had 7 days of the increased dose and my sleep is not good,still waking early feeling awful.I feel low,having to force myself to do things before going for a lay down,I’m exhausted but can’t settle.The increased dose doesn’t seem to be helping at all,I know they don’t work immediately,but I’m not sure it’s ever going to improve.I dread going to bed at night knowing I’ll be waking up early.Any comments would be much appreciated
I’m the same age as you. Sorry you are feeling terrible. Sertraline never worked for me. I’ve tried all SSRIs and none worked for me. Not to discourage you. Everyone is different. I’ve had anxiety all my life and was manageable up until 3 years ago. I think perimenopause played a role. Did the Oxazepam work for you at all? You should again contact your dr and mention there is no improvement. Maybe the Sertraline stopped working for you.

I

Inie

I have spoken to GP regarding Sertraline increase and continued anxiety/low mood(though increased dose has calmed the really bad,crippling anxiety down,it’s still there,underlying).Although there has been some slight improvement with anxiety He wants me to try Escitalopram-to take the Escitalopram along with Sertraline for two weeks,then if all is going ok gradually withdraw the Sertraline-he called it ‘cross tapering’-does this sound ok? Is it ok to take two at the same time?He also mentioned Venlafaxine
In my personal experience Escitalopram caused insomnia. Take in the morning if you must.

A

AndrewDN

Thanks for that Inie,I too have had anxiety all my life and when I hit my teens depression became troublesome too.I never got on well with the older medications,but back in the 80s that’s all there were,Imipramine,Dosulepin etc. When the new ones arrived in the 90s it was like a miracle for me,I had about two years of Paroxetine and couldn’t believe it actually worked… I eventually came off that and was ok for a while,but when I became unwell again I tried Sertraline which,for me,had fewer side effects.When I started it I didn’t think I’d be taking it for the next 20years,but it worked reasonably and saw me through some very bad times,having to add in Diazepam or Oxazepam on+off for bad times.20 years is a long time to take a medicine and I feel a bit embarrassed,but it worked for me,so…. I’m a bit anxious about trying a new tablet and this ‘cross tapering’ business where,for the moment,I’m taking Sertraline and Escitalopram together,but we’ll see

K

Karmaman

@AndrewDN I've done so many switches through all the AD types for anxiety & depression. Maybe some eased the depression but only diazepam for the anxiety. Good luck with the switch.

I

Inie

Thanks for that Inie,I too have had anxiety all my life and when I hit my teens depression became troublesome too.I never got on well with the older medications,but back in the 80s that’s all there were,Imipramine,Dosulepin etc. When the new ones arrived in the 90s it was like a miracle for me,I had about two years of Paroxetine and couldn’t believe it actually worked… I eventually came off that and was ok for a while,but when I became unwell again I tried Sertraline which,for me,had fewer side effects.When I started it I didn’t think I’d be taking it for the next 20years,but it worked reasonably and saw me through some very bad times,having to add in Diazepam or Oxazepam on+off for bad times.20 years is a long time to take a medicine and I feel a bit embarrassed,but it worked for me,so…. I’m a bit anxious about trying a new tablet and this ‘cross tapering’ business where,for the moment,I’m taking Sertraline and Escitalopram together,but we’ll see
No problem. Good for us to hear others experiences. I think it helps with coping and knowing others understand. Looks like you’ve been on meds most of your life. Take the Benzos only if you really need it. I hope the cross taper works out for you. Let me know how you’re doing.

D

Daisygal70

I was on setraline for several years and my anxiety/depression came back with a vengeance. I was upped to 150mg which didn’t help at all. I had to switch over to Prozac which has helped, I’d say I’m at 75% back to “normal”. Still some anxiety and depression but much better. I agree with the others, you probably need a new SSRI.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

My experience has been that SSRI's including Sertraline are great for treating depression, but do next to nothing to treat anxiety. Everyone is different and may have different reactions to medication, but that has been my experience. Anxiety is a tough nut to crack, Xanax and other benzodiazepines can help-but they are addictive in some people.