• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety and Mandtory Jobcentre schemes

I

ICFighter

I am suffering a lot at the moment with severe anxiety and very high stress levels. I am wanting to do things like courses and volunteer work. The places i want to do them are distance learning or places that are very close and flexible.

I wish i never mentioned wanting to do my engilsh and Maths to the jobcentre now. I am on JSA. I said that i wanted to do them through learn direct and not my local college as i know would not suit me and would really struggle.

Why even when i say i want to do something and improve my chances of work, they have to do things thier way and not let me be in control of my own life. So now they have gone and put me on a course at the local college, 4 morniings a week. Which i know i will be not be able to cope with for 7 weeks. I was lead to believe it would only be 2 sessions a week, as all the places in my area do that. And did say i did not want to do them both at the same time as i find it hard to focus etc. And to make things a hell lot of worse. They have made it mandtory, as will only take one day of not turning up and no money.Why do they have to do that with everything, even the things i suggest.

I am starting tomorrow, I do have someone travelling with me. But that does not help one bit and know i won't be able to cope and will not learn anything in the classroom. Plus no learning support in place despite contacting them and already missing 2 weeks of the course, as they put me onto one that had already started.

I have a meeting with advisor on thursday and not sure what to do, as did not want to do at college, as not flexible and too many days for me. Really not sure i want to mention anything else of the things i am wanting to achieve

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Unfortunately the job centre do not exist to actually improve your chances of finding work but to stress people out to get them off JSA:low:

A lot of the time they actively impede people from improving their lot, look at the Cait Reilly case.

Am thinking in future just go along with what is mandatory from them and keep your other ideas to yourself, just carry on doing what you have to in order to meet JSA requirements. Anything extra you do won't win you brownie points with them imo.

P

Pieshar

Hi, sorry about how late this comment is!
But I recieve ESA. And over the past few months, have had to visit the Job Centre for it. Unfortunately, the Job Centre does not care about your illness, probably because they have no understanding of it. I remember my first time there - which was horrible - and my advisor asked me about 3 times what Anxiety was and how it affects me. Fortunately, I placed on a Work Programme (which I was terrified of going too, due to all the horror stories!) and it's at a place called People Plus, who are actually really good! They understand that alot of illnesses can't be seen and how hard it is to do certain tasks because of them. I'm also allowed to turn down any job opportunities or applications!
I'm about to go to my first Mandatory Job Centre appointment today, as I'm apparently now a Job Seeker. My People Plus advisor told me that letting the Job Centre know that you want to do anything is a big mistake, as they will just force you into doing something else. Ya know, because wanting to get an education and what not obviously means that you're fit for work! My mistake was telling him that I volunteer at a local Charity shop.
I'm not sure if you've done it, but you should look up about techniques to cope with your Anxiety. It really helps me! Also, have a look at doing CBT if you haven't already. Unfortunately, you just can't get out of Job Centre provided tasks, but there are ways to manage your Anxiety when you've got to go to these things. I also recommend kicking up a fuss about it all, have a look into the Human Rights Act and stuff, because they'll certainly poo themselves if you mention anything about breaking Human Rights and taking it further!
I hope everything works out for you, and sorry that I can't be of much help!

neorealism

neorealism

Moral of the story, don't tell the job centre anything you want to do. They are not going to help you, they are going to hinder you and any progress you make. That's how they operate plain and simple, and anyone who wishes to claim otherwise well... Enrol yourself on a course and only then inform job centre that your family member/friend helped you enrol and you are willing to try it out.

I told one of the companies that do WRAG for ESA claimants that I needed money for a shirt and trousers and after that they made me travel to ANOTHER f'king town every week for an appointment with them when I suffer from severe public transport anxiety and my mum is a single mum and had to drive me to their idiotic appointments where I have never had any use from. Irony of it all, now that my time with them has ended, the job centre saw me once in March and another time in September where they told me they won't contact me for another 6 months and next contact will be over the phone, I asked about any training or interview skills I could do and they said they can't send me anywhere because I am unwell and it would likely to negatively affect my condition.

J

JPG2502

Hi, sorry about how late this comment is!
But I recieve ESA. And over the past few months, have had to visit the Job Centre for it. Unfortunately, the Job Centre does not care about your illness, probably because they have no understanding of it. I remember my first time there - which was horrible - and my advisor asked me about 3 times what Anxiety was and how it affects me. Fortunately, I placed on a Work Programme (which I was terrified of going too, due to all the horror stories!) and it's at a place called People Plus, who are actually really good! They understand that alot of illnesses can't be seen and how hard it is to do certain tasks because of them. I'm also allowed to turn down any job opportunities or applications!
I'm about to go to my first Mandatory Job Centre appointment today, as I'm apparently now a Job Seeker. My People Plus advisor told me that letting the Job Centre know that you want to do anything is a big mistake, as they will just force you into doing something else. Ya know, because wanting to get an education and what not obviously means that you're fit for work! My mistake was telling him that I volunteer at a local Charity shop.
I'm not sure if you've done it, but you should look up about techniques to cope with your Anxiety. It really helps me! Also, have a look at doing CBT if you haven't already. Unfortunately, you just can't get out of Job Centre provided tasks, but there are ways to manage your Anxiety when you've got to go to these things. I also recommend kicking up a fuss about it all, have a look into the Human Rights Act and stuff, because they'll certainly poo themselves if you mention anything about breaking Human Rights and taking it further!
I hope everything works out for you, and sorry that I can't be of much help!
if you are on ESA you cannot be a ''job seeker'' surely? as they cannot make you look for work or apply for work as per the conditions of the ESA

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if you are on ESA you cannot be a ''job seeker'' surely? as they cannot make you look for work or apply for work as per the conditions of the ESA
they are getting tough on those in the work related activity group which is esa, i think they;re planning to make it the same as job seekers