• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and Learning to Drive.

R

ranmi

Hi guys.

It's been a goal of mine for a long time now to learn to drive but I keep worrying that my anxiety will make it impossible. I get anxious when I cross busy roads, so I think if I'm actually the one behind the wheel it's going to be too much.

I'd like to hear from other anxiety sufferers about how they death with anxiety when learning to drive.

Thanks, Ranmi.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Driving is over-rated - there is a lot to say for public transport.

G

Gredge23

Hi it depends on what your main fear is really I think are are u afraid of crashing into some one , are afraid of crashing and something really bad happening? Or others

katya

katya

I suffer from anxiety and I was really worried when I had driving lessons (I haven't passed my test, but that's because I never took it; other things got in the way, so... haha).

I found that, once you're behind the wheel, it's a different experience. If you have a good driving instructor who is clear and supportive, your anxiety will lessen as a result. Once you get used to the controls, you realise that, in actually controlling the car, it's quite simple once you get your head around it. Then, when you're learning to drive on different kinds of roads, you'll have someone talking you through what to do and when - and they won't just make you go on a road you're not comfortable with straight away: they'll build you up.

When you're learning to drive, it's not uncommon to have these feelings of anxiety; most people who I've talked to who have learned to drive have had dreams where they crash the car.

It just shows you're concerned about not getting it wrong, which will probably help you when you start learning.

Hope you can overcome this.

God, I wish I had a car!

R

ranmi

I wish I had one too jruth!
Thank you for your reply. I guess I just have to wait and see how I get on once I get some lessons.

It's more a fear of doing something wrong, that's what most of my anxiety is about.

katya

katya

I wish I had one too jruth!
Thank you for your reply. I guess I just have to wait and see how I get on once I get some lessons.

It's more a fear of doing something wrong, that's what most of my anxiety is about.
You'll have someone there to prevent you from doing that - and they have a brake on their side, so, it's all good.

I know the thing with anxiety is that sometimes it's just not logical!! Hope you feel differently once you're in the car, though; I think you will.

Last edited: