• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety and IBS

S

StephanieJ

I have anxiety i also have IBS they both seem to just constantly bounce off each other my whole life revolves around how my IBS will be each morning which results in constant anxiety more when I have plans.
I feel so run down by it all medications for ibs seem to be hit or miss I feel like I can't ever make plans my partner is starting his own business I want to help but I just feel trapped by my IBS and anxiety does anyone else suffer with the same any advice or is it just take each day as it comes? Help im so fed up with it

Wishbone

Wishbone

Digestive problems and anxiety/fear do not mix. In a very literal biological way they are made to counteract each other. Ever hear the expression "I'm shitting myself" or "I nearly shit myself!", well that's where it comes from. Your body is trying to lessen the load, so to speak, in times when you're anxious about something.
So the first thing you can do is to remind yourself that the anxiety about the IBS is what is DRIVING the IBS. If you weren't so anxious, it likely wouldn't be as bad, if present at all. Then it's about finding any foods that upset your gut and avoid those. Have you heard of elimination diets?

S

StephanieJ

Digestive problems and anxiety/fear do not mix. In a very literal biological way they are made to counteract each other. Ever hear the expression "I'm shitting myself" or "I nearly shit myself!", well that's where it comes from. Your body is trying to lessen the load, so to speak, in times when you're anxious about something.
So the first thing you can do is to remind yourself that the anxiety about the IBS is what is DRIVING the IBS. If you weren't so anxious, it likely wouldn't be as bad, if present at all. Then it's about finding any foods that upset your gut and avoid those. Have you heard of elimination diets?
Thank you I have not heard of that but will look into it x I have started cutting out foods and drinks I see make me bad but just seems never ending now I find it hard to distinguish between what is anxiety and what is IBS

Wishbone

Wishbone

Well like I said, trying to minimize the anxiety, especially about the IBS is probably most important as you know that worrying about it causes it to flare up: you're essentially feeding it. Be anxious about other things, sure, but tell yourself that you cannot be anxious about the IBS happening. Tell yourself until you know it because it's true.

Then, rather than cutting things out one by one it's better to strip it right back to a very bland diet and slowly add things until something kicks it off again. There are too many ingredients that crossover otherwise and it can be hard to tell which is the problem: for example, is it the bar of chocolate? If so is it the chocolate itself? the sugar? the soya? the milk? the barley? and so on. You can get advice on elimination diets from your doc and probably online somewhere too. Have you been to the docs about it for tests to rule out other things?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Oh, and another thing, if you aren't doing it already, is to keep a diary noting foods eaten and any stressful incidents or feelings. This should help to build a picture of what could be contributing to the problem.

Wishbone

Wishbone

And a couple of links for you:

Supermansgirlfriend

Supermansgirlfriend

I have anxiety i also have IBS they both seem to just constantly bounce off each other my whole life revolves around how my IBS will be each morning which results in constant anxiety more when I have plans.
I feel so run down by it all medications for ibs seem to be hit or miss I feel like I can't ever make plans my partner is starting his own business I want to help but I just feel trapped by my IBS and anxiety does anyone else suffer with the same any advice or is it just take each day as it comes? Help im so fed up with it
Had both for years, my total understanding, the more I get upset or emotional, goes right to the pit of my stomach creating the pains, comfort eating and breathing problems from the anxiety xoxo Lois ❤❤

S

simmy

Thank you I have not heard of that but will look into it x I have started cutting out foods and drinks I see make me bad but just seems never ending now I find it hard to distinguish between what is anxiety and what is IBS
hi there,your brain and stomach are connected,its totally correct what the other person said about shitting yourself under a frightening event,ive had anxiety since last april,hard symptoms,stomach, back, all over pains,mainly my tummy,exercise is my key,try cycling,
keep positive focusing!,

Empish

Empish

yogainternational.com/article/view/5-yoga-poses-for-ibs-irritable-bowel-syndrome

This might be of interest. Wait 1 - 2 hours after eating (depending on the amount) before doing any yoga. Also check for contraindications if you have other health problems.

Empish

Empish