• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and how to help

S

Steff1990

Hello everyone

Just wanted to see if anyone has found anything particularly helpful dealing with anxiety?
Whether it be medication, vitamins/Supplements, books, music, anything!
Something that helps you switch off and help your mind rest. Feel like I've tried so many things (not medication at this point) but find it difficult to switch off when my mind is already racing. It's the physically symptoms that bother me most so when these happen it's definitely difficult to focus on anything else.
Thanks everyone x

N

NJKJ24

Hi :D From reading your posts it seems like we have very similar symptoms and things that affect us. I'm the same with the physical symptoms and haven't started any medication yet either as I'm hoping that would be a last resort. I have started telephone sessions with my local wellbeing centre and they have provided me with a lot of breathing exercises which can be useful, I also find it helps a little to read a book. Most of the time though these things only seem to help if I manage to do it when it first starts bubbling up, once the anxiety is in full swing it seems impossible that anything would be able to control it. I'm lead to believe that relaxation is key as the fight and flight responses are over-active but it's so much easier said that done to relax in that moment.

I hope you find some relief x

OCDguy

OCDguy

Do you find certain things make you anxious? Could it be these causes play on your mind, which make the anxiety worse? If so, do these causes play on your mind, because you don't have the answers yourself? If again the answer is yes, simply talking to someone non-judgemental may help ease some of the burden, and they might even give pointers on how to over-come those causes, which in-turn may alleviate some or all of that anxiety... Hope this helps :)

T

timi0000

Hello everyone

Just wanted to see if anyone has found anything particularly helpful dealing with anxiety?
Whether it be medication, vitamins/Supplements, books, music, anything!
Something that helps you switch off and help your mind rest. Feel like I've tried so many things (not medication at this point) but find it difficult to switch off when my mind is already racing. It's the physically symptoms that bother me most so when these happen it's definitely difficult to focus on anything else.
Thanks everyone x
I would recommend reading the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle and APPLYING the principles he talks about in your life. Just reading for an intellectual understanding won't make a difference. It was the very first thing that started to unlock me from my anxiety problems.

Meditating on my breath really helped too. Focusing on the sensation of my breath as it enters and leaves a nostril is what you do. I would recommend finding a teacher in your area or at least find some information on YouTube. This really helped me unlock from my anxiety too.

Taking the actions of love toward other people really helped me too. Start treating the people around you with more love. Do more loving things for them. Start helping people. When I did this, the anxiety just melted away over time.

More than anything, take whatever actions you feel drawn to take in dealing with your anxiety. When your mind sees that you are serious about getting to the core of problem, the anxiety will decrease since it has served its purpose. It is like an alarm bell letting you know that you have some issues that need to be dealt with.