• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety and Feeling Unreal

R

Rachel_X

I'm under a lot of stress at the moment and have been suffering from a lot of anxiety. I have noticed that there are periods where I get so anxious I feel unreal and completely detached from my body. Unfortunately I find the only way to confirm my realness is by self injuring. I wonder if anyone else gets this? Is it a symptom of anxiety or is it something else?

W

weechatterbox

hi rachel,
i get this disassociated/detached feeling a lot. it's horrible. definitely a symptom of extreme anxiety! unfortunately i don't know how to stop it...but be assured you're not alone in this feeling.
gxxx

B

Becks78

feeling unreal...

I had this for a long time and still get it from time to time. I am quite sure it's a symtom of anxiety. When I used to get the detached feeling I liked to drink alcohol as oddly this seemed to make me feel 'real' again.

Doctors didn't know what it was and used to ask me if I thought I was depressed. One day it just went away on its own and didn't come back for years. I find that the best thing to do is to almost accept it and get on with your day, you might find then that the detached feeling just goes as you're not concentrating on it so much. I know this can be diificult though...

Just try and take comfort from the fact that you're not alone and lots of people experience these feelings.

x

Q

quality factor

Hi, I too suffer from the same problem....de-personalisation. It comes with acute anxiety. I have to concentrate hard to bring myself back to a sense of reality.
QF.

B

Becks78

Hi Quality Factor...

It's awful isn't it? For me it's like I almost float above myself and look down on my body from the outside. It really does take effort to bring myself out of this state too and to be honest I have no idea how I even do it. I guess I just have to really concentrate on what is 'real' and allow myself to absorb everything that is going on around me: the sights, the sounds the smells etc

I think beta-blockers have helped a little too and I find that certain conditions enhance the feeling. For example florescent lights make me feel surreal and large open spaces llike indoor shopping centres...

Q

quality factor

Hi Becks,

Yes it's a really wierd feeling, I have developed little habits that I use to try and bring myself back in the here and now. I tend to tense my body and then release it to try and 'get back'. I too find certain indoor places set me off, for some reason the Food Hall gets to me!
I have always found it difficult to try and explain the sensation to my pdoc, but they seem to quickly pick up on what I am saying and ask are you very stressed?...usually they've hit the nail on the head.

QF.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I'd accept that it's not a usual experience, and having experienced something similar to it in my youth, I understand it is very scary. That said their are many traditions where such a dissassociative state might be considered spiritual. I'm not going to go all hocus pocus on you, but it might be interesting to attempt something creative during the periods (if you're not in the middle of town on a Saturday. Some abstract art created in this state would be very interesting from an artists perspective (Apo will no doubt have something to say, he's an adept artist!!), but also if you were to eventually see a therapist some sort of art diary would be very interesting and helpful for them. If you're not into painting or drawing perhaps keep a journal/diary and do some free association writing??? Has to be worth a try beyond self harm???

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Feeling cold because of anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
P Anxiety Disorder without feeling anxious or panic? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
M Constant physical symptoms of anxiety and spaced out feeling. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
D I want to cry, I’m screaming from hell im almost 19, my anxiety is causing from low self esteem, feeling like a child Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
O Feeling of swaying and falling during anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
M generalized anxiety disorder taking over my life, feeling suicidal :/ Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
E Just been diagnosed with Anxiety... How do you get out of feeling like this?! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
Nekofreak Not feeling anxiety? puzzled Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
Daybreak Anybody try self-message and/or essential oils for anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
H Bedridden for over a week with severe anxiety/panic post COVID infection Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
pjb15201 Increased panic and anxiety since pandemic rules lessened ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
T Anxiety attack experiences Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Scg Anxiety physical symptoms Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 21
F Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
S Anxiety when circumstances suddenly change Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
S Stomach cramps with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Anxiety = stomach problems and IBS Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
Darwin the fish Weakness in arms and anxiety attacks Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Is it possible to fix this anxiety / depression? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
Tawny Helping yourself with your anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 0
MrBond007 Anxiety attacks over things that are completely normal for no reason. +Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Tremors and muscle trembling from anxiety? Sad and scared! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Anxiety Hypochondriasis and Agoraphobia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
R Crippling anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 47
R Severe anxiety triggered by my children’s health Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
R The Difficulties of Anxiety and Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
R Anxiety through the roof Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
S Differentiating Anxiety and Attention Deficit Disorder- Inattentive Type Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
Midnight.Panda Bad anxiety about everything Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
J Who to talk to about my anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
K I feel so alone with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
M Broken glass Anxiety, please help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Acute anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
FloofyPuppers Pristiq for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
dogmom Anxiety is back. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
T Abandonment issues/separation anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Does anyone get Physical Symptoms due to anxiety. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 34
I Healthy anxiety anybody have cherry angiomas Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Jam1990 Generalized Anxiety that leads to paranoia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
J Am I the only one on the planet or do others also experience occasional pain in heart for a second, centre of chest with ecotpics with anxiety? ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
L Please help me, I reached breaking point again. (VERY LONG TW:ANXIETY, SUICIDE, DPD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
E This anxiety right now is silly Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
G I have a cure for anxiety think I can help you IMO Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 15
G Anxiety in my chest feels like a craving Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 11
Faith198 When did you realize you were suffering with anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 17
M Public speaking anxiety linked with childhood trauma? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S do i have anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
A Anxiety is suffocating me... Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
S Anxiety and what it feels like to you Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
S Anxiety and eye floaters Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 34