Anxiety and fear

M

Maria277

Hello everyone,
I am 18 and lately I have been feeling anxious and afraid. I feel like most time is over the smallest things like a friend doesn't reply to me (I immediately think, is she mad at me, have I done something to annoy her/him?) and then there are bigger things like, what I am going to do with my life ? I feel trapped. Some days I don't want to do outside and face the world I just want to stay in bed and mope. I feel like everything is falling apart lately and I don't know what to do.
Maria

B

boots46

Hi Maria
I have 2 daughters and a niece around your age and to a certain extent feeling anxious about the things you describe are somewhat normal (please don't think I am patronizing you). However, shutting yourself off from the world and not wanting to get out of bed are not and it may be a time to visit your gp and explain how your moods are affecting your life. I put it off for years and really regret it as he was very understanding. Has something happened to make you feel so anxious? Do you work or go to college?

T

Tomorrows a new day

Hiya,
What are you anxious and afraid about?

M

Maria277

Hiya,
What are you anxious and afraid about?
A lot of things. I get anxious about college,about my friends thinking I am boring etc. Sometimes I don't even know why I am worried and stressed. Sometimes I feel like there is a knot in my stomach (I think that's the best way to explain what I am feeling those moments).

M

Maria277

Hi Maria
I have 2 daughters and a niece around your age and to a certain extent feeling anxious about the things you describe are somewhat normal (please don't think I am patronizing you). However, shutting yourself off from the world and not wanting to get out of bed are not and it may be a time to visit your gp and explain how your moods are affecting your life. I put it off for years and really regret it as he was very understanding. Has something happened to make you feel so anxious? Do you work or go to college?
Hi,
I go to college. I don't think that something particular has happened to make me feel anxious. I just worry about things in my everyday life. It's like a switch has flipped and I worry too much even about the smallest things. When that happens I try to distract my self with music, reading, sleeping but nothing seems to work.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I have a phrase 'Think positive & positive things will happen to you', & it really does work, I still don't know if I made the phrase myself or heard it from somewhere.

You have to consciously shout as loud as you can positive in your mind, thinking (I immediately think, is she mad at me, have I done something to annoy her/him?) is negative, shout as loud as you can in your mind no nothing is wrong it's cool, & it does work.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

I learned something called Mindfulness, which is basically learning to look at the here & now, when I was 18 - I'm 44 now - I never had the anxiety problems that I have now & I'm sorry that you have it at 18, I didn't really think about what I was going to do in life much, very rarely in fact, just mostly looked at my life as it was then. Mindfulness really helped me not to panic to much about things, thinking about it now looking back to when I was 18-years-old anything horrible could've happened but I didn't really worry about it.

B

boots46

Hi,
I go to college. I don't think that something particular has happened to make me feel anxious. I just worry about things in my everyday life. It's like a switch has flipped and I worry too much even about the smallest things. When that happens I try to distract my self with music, reading, sleeping but nothing seems to work.
Emboldened is a sign of concern. If you can you should contact student counselling service and talk to them about how you feel and perhaps your GP. I think the sooner the better. I know this probably doesn't help much but there is very little in life worth worrying about (talking to myself here), and most things turn out ok!

T

Tomorrows a new day

A lot of things. I get anxious about college,about my friends thinking I am boring etc. Sometimes I don't even know why I am worried and stressed. Sometimes I feel like there is a knot in my stomach (I think that's the best way to explain what I am feeling those moments).
Hi Maria, worry basically is a fear that something is going to happen, it's a built in defence mechanism to protect you. Sometimes it can be a little too much and sees danger in everything, there are things you can try like meditation, exercise, mindfulness. If these things don't help you can take a mild sedative just to take the edge of your worry, best wishes and good luck