Anxiety and fear after experience

H

HS2000

First of all I’m sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I didn’t know which one to put it in and I feel it would be dramatic putting it in the PTSD forum.

But anyway, I’m 18 and for the past year and a half getting on to two years I’ve had a couple of experiences that have caused me to get scared an anxious. It may help to mention when I was fifteen I started doing drugs recreationally, quite heavy at first but since I’ve slowed down massively but still do something from time to time on special occasions. I feel this has made me abit paranoid and may have made the whole situation worse.

But anyway, my friends all live in very rough areas and there have been times when we’ve been out where we’ve been chased with lads with knives, another occasion circled round by lads with knuckle dusters and blades. I also had a few lads saying they were gonna find me and stab me all this made me fairly paranoid to go in rough areas and to be out at night .But anyway more recently probably just under a year ago we were sitting in a park at night and about eight lads came over with their faces covered and were saying they were gonna stab us and threatened to stab my mate in the neck, we managed to get out of there unharmed. Ever since I’ve been scared to be out at night in these areas and have been considerably more paranoid and now anxious at times, sometimes I think about the night and it gives me a sick feeling I’m my stomach, a specific song makes me think about it aswell and makes me feel scared and horrible. It’s getting to the point where it’s not just going out in these places at night I sometimes just get waves of fear and feel anxious when my mind flicks back to that night.

I was hoping someone would have a solution for making me not worried about this anymore cos it’s getting quite bad and is starting to bother me, thank you and I’m sorry about the length of this post.

H

HollyR

Hi!

What you've described sounds horrible, and I completely understand why you're worried and scared to be out at night in those areas, and in general. Things like this happen more often these days and it is petrifying for anyone, but more so for someone who has experienced anything like it.

The truth is, the worry may not go away as easily as you'd like, it's going to take time for your mind to ease up, plus with certain triggers like songs etc, it will take quite a while. I would advise maybe seeing a counsellor about it, as they are able to help with the route cause of your anxiety, and find ways of relieving the stresses and feeling more safe when outside the house.

I'm sorry though, it must be hard to feel that way, plus the drugs probably haven't helped with the paranoia, so taking them as little as possible would be my best advise. Talk to a GP or try to contact MIND as they're very good. I hope this gets sorted for you xx

Sorry state

Sorry state

Hi HS2000, welcome to the forum. I think the anxiety forum is probably the right one and don't apologise for the length of your post - you've got to say what you've got to say.
Completely understand why you're feeling worried and paranoid, the situations you describe sound very frightening and traumatic. I'm glad nothing has actually happened to you.
I'm now in my forties but used drink and drugs a lot when I was younger. The problem with drugs is that they are fun and enjoyable. The bigger problem with drugs is that they damage your physical and mental health. Sometimes long term. So do try to ease off a little on the drugs. I know it's tough when it's part of your social life and friendships.
Is there any way you can avoid going to these rough areas? Could you not hang out somewhere else. Somewhere safer. I grew up in London and would sometimes be in a rough area and occasionally got a beating or chased. But people didn't carry knives like they do now, so I do feel for you. Lots of knives out on the streets would make anyone nervous and paranoid.
In a nutshell, ease off on the drugs and avoid rough areas as much as possible.
Sorry, I think my response is longer than your post! Take care. SS

H

HS2000

Thank you for your replies, I’ll definitely chill with the drugs all together now it’s getting to the point more or less where a lot of us don’t want to take then anymore. It’s not even the rough areas it’s just general all round paranoia now but I have been avoiding these areas. I’ll without a doubt consider counselling thank you.

Sorry state

Sorry state

Do you live with your parents. Can you speak with them, could they offer some support. I know parents aren't always best placed to advise (I know, I am one).