• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and eye floaters

J

Julie41

Hi you explained them perfectly- I have them also - my Optician calls it ‘optical Migraine’ very scary to start with !!
But like you say they do resolve themselves - I usually close my eyes & try to rest as they always occur before, during or after my anxiety is high
I do still get them as my anxiety is all over the place at the moment

A

All be good

Just wondered if anyone has experienced pretty much daily eye floaters with anxiety? Just looks like little worms or jelly in my vision all the time. Been to opticians twice and no issues can be found so I'm assuming it's anxiety related? Some days they're not as bad and some days they're very very off putting
Hi! I m new to this forum ,hope you are well.I have this floaters like dark dots or. a jelly worms.I trying to ignore them.;but when whether is bad and white clouds appears i see them more.Before migrain I see them more.

E

EstherRose94

I used to have them a lot when I took Paxil. Are you taking meds?

A

All be good

Hi.I have them now all the time it's not becouse of medication .

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

I get something similar sometimes during particularly bad attacks, but I think it's related to dodgy blood sugar levels or blood pressure.

ParxSP

ParxSP

I have a floater in each eye and have been told they won't ever go away. I'm used to them now and only really notice them if I look at something bright. I didn't realise they could be part of anxiety.

J

Julie41

I have a floater in each eye and have been told they won't ever go away. I'm used to them now and only really notice them if I look at something bright. I didn't realise they could be part of anxiety.
Hi
Are you on any meds ? X

ParxSP

ParxSP

Julie41 I'm on fluoxetine, have been on and off for years. Does that affect them?

J

Julie41

Hi -
Julie41 I'm on fluoxetine, have been on and off for years. Does that affect them?
hi
A lot of anti depression & anxiety medications can cause eye changes
I’ve been on Citalopram for many years didn’t have any eye problems until my meds were increased in jan 20 (they were increased because my anxiety got so bad) since then l get floaters, sometimes black dots or wiggly lines
My optician said it can be quite normal for anxiety suffers - I also get zig zag Shimmering lines & bits missing in my vision he said this is an optical migraine and always happens after I’ve been very stressed or nervous x

B

blue spark

Eye floaters are normal. At the opticians I asked about them because I was seeing a lot of them. It’s just small things passing over your pupil nothing harmful about them
Floaters are dead cells in your eyeball,the best way to see them.Hold a sheet of white paper up to the light,day light through a window.Roll your eyes round a couple of times,when you stop rolling your eyes,look straight into the white light.If you have floaters,youll see them floating past.

B

blue spark

I get something similar sometimes during particularly bad attacks, but I think it's related to dodgy blood sugar levels or blood pressure.
I get them sometimes when i stand up to quick,all darting round really fast.They're not floaters,like you say thats to do with blood pressure.

M

MR57

I have eye floaters for years ! Even before anxiety. I think this is normal, maybe influenced by it.

jackolantern

jackolantern

Hi -

hi
A lot of anti depression & anxiety medications can cause eye changes
I’ve been on Citalopram for many years didn’t have any eye problems until my meds were increased in jan 20 (they were increased because my anxiety got so bad) since then l get floaters, sometimes black dots or wiggly lines
My optician said it can be quite normal for anxiety suffers - I also get zig zag Shimmering lines & bits missing in my vision he said this is an optical migraine and always happens after I’ve been very stressed or nervous x
Yes i agree with you anxiety can cause eye changes and also hearing loss or sounds (buzzing) in the ear type sounds.
wiggly lines also in my vision but i rarely get headaches which i am thankful for.

J

Julie41

Yes i agree with you anxiety can cause eye changes and also hearing loss or sounds (buzzing) in the ear type sounds.
wiggly lines also in my vision but i rarely get headaches which i am thankful for.
Hi my hearing has changed too- I need the tv turned up- sometimes get high pitched ringing & buzzing too