• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and eye floaters

S

Steff1990

Just wondered if anyone has experienced pretty much daily eye floaters with anxiety? Just looks like little worms or jelly in my vision all the time. Been to opticians twice and no issues can be found so I'm assuming it's anxiety related? Some days they're not as bad and some days they're very very off putting

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Steff1990!

I have somewhat of an idea of what you're talking about. I have OCD, but I've always had poor concentration throughout my life. There have been times my mom has thought I've needed my vision checked. I've definitely had significant blurriness in my vision, similar to what you're experiencing.

But I realized in bed one day that I could actually correct some of my poor vision. Since I believe it's primarily mental and not physical (or else the doctors would have found something), you can adjust your vision. Do you notice that you can blur and split your vision and see one object twice? Apparently, I was doing that a lot more than I realized. Maybe it's considered double vision. I don't know.

So I practiced doing this, staring at a point in my ceiling and splitting my vision so that I saw it twice. When I brought the two images of the object back together, it was very difficult at first. It was like my brain was preventing my focus. But I kept trying. It became like a strange game -- bring the same object together until it becomes one image. I found that over time, my vision actually improved!

Not only that, I could bring things closer to my face without it getting as blurry. I also had better control over my vision. The headaches that would come about from improving my vision lessened over time. I may not have the best vision in the world, but I can see clearer than ever.

I don't know if any of this applies to you, but learning to control your focus by bringing your vision back together might help you to see better over time.

Good luck and Stay Safe!

N

Nukelavee

Generally, those types of "floaters" are harmless -I get it a lot.

Sparks or sparkles in your vision may, and I do mean may, mean an issue with your retina, or eyestrain.

J

Jules5

Hi Steff I had a huge floater in my eye once due strictly to anxiety. It impaired my vision and I felt extremely self concious-as it was very visible to me. THank God it cleared up as sometimes they do not. So please take care of yourself. Stay away from emotionally stressful situations. I was in a domestic violence situation when this happened to me. I remember one time I was so stressed that I would lose handfuls of hair evrytime I showered this was so awful. Take care Big Hugs Julie

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've had a lot of it today, but don't usually suffer with it. It could be anxiety. Maybe it is pollen in the air or dust.

S

Steff1990

Thanks everyone that's quite reassuring. I have been to the opticians but both times they couldn't see any issues with my vision so I'm guessing that's what it comes down to. Its a very annoying thing to deal with!

P

pdrpaul

is floaters a factor of anxiety. had it a year ago.

R

RTLP

Thanks everyone that's quite reassuring. I have been to the opticians but both times they couldn't see any issues with my vision so I'm guessing that's what it comes down to. Its a very annoying thing to deal with!
I have a small problem with floaters and the opticians initially could not see them but a year ago I did Optical coherence tomography scan (OCT) and they finally found them. If you have the opportunity you can do this scan.

R

RTLP

is floaters a factor of anxiety. had it a year ago.
No they are not. Sometimes floaters will disappear because the brain get used of them or because they move in a position that are not more noticeable.

S

Steff1990

I have a small problem with floaters and the opticians initially could not see them but a year ago I did Optical coherence tomography scan (OCT) and they finally found them. If you have the opportunity you can do this scan.
Oh ok that's good to know. They haven't suggested it to me at all. Did you get this through your gp or was it the opticians? And also was there any treatment

J

Julie41

Just wondered if anyone has experienced pretty much daily eye floaters with anxiety? Just looks like little worms or jelly in my vision all the time. Been to opticians twice and no issues can be found so I'm assuming it's anxiety related? Some days they're not as bad and some days they're very very off putting
Hi
I have GAD and depression & I always know when I’m gonna be anxious 😥
I get floating spots in my vision & also get shimmers & halos it’s quite scary
I have had my eyes checked and was told it’s all connected with my anxiety and is called optical migraine ( no pain though)
Normally I try & sleep it off but it does severely affect your vision

R

RedYeti

Eye floaters are normal. At the opticians I asked about them because I was seeing a lot of them. It’s just small things passing over your pupil nothing harmful about them

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I developed my first significant eye floater about a month ago. Went to the Opthamologist and she said it's due to age, the jelly covering the optic nerve connection to the retina starts to break down after 60 (I'm 65). There is surgery they can do, but it's not without risk. So, I'll probably just learn to live with it. Problem is, it's right in the center of my left eye and interferes with reading my computer screen-which I need for work. My brain has learned to 'ignore' it to some extent in the last month, but it's still there. Getting old sucks!

Faith198

Faith198

My vision gets kind of off when I’m anxious so maybe. Do you have migraines at all? Could be another cause.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I used to have visual migraines every 6-8 weeks. They lasted 20 minutes to half an hour. This description I found on the 'net describes them exactly as I had them:

'A visual migraine is a temporary visual distortion that often begins with a small sparkling, shimmering area that slowly expands outward. The growing spot often has jagged, zig-zag edges. The visual symptoms typically last approximately 20-30 minutes and then completely resolve.'

I have not had one in a couple of years, I think that has something to do with my dietary changes or medication changes. Certain food and drink seemed to bring them on (artificial sweeteners?), but the medical science doesn't know exactly what causes them. The only time they were a problem was when I was driving, the visual distortion would sometimes be a challenge. They are quite common, I understand.