• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and Depression

L

London123

Hello Everyone,
I am currently twenty years old , and I am just after some support and strategies to help deal with the following things I am going through at the moment.

I am an introverted person, I can't stand parties/ big events and I don't drink which is difficult as that is the norm for people my age and when I attend a party, wedding or big event I feel really panicked and usually want to escape the situation very quickly, for example I attended a party not so long ago and was insistent on leaving and kept going to the toilet to calm down, and when I did return home I had a panic attack. This factor then stems to when it is my birthday and especially key birthdays such as my eighteenth, twenty first and I feel consistently anxious about these times instead of excited. I think what doesn't help these situations as well is that I am consistently comparing myself to others my age.

Also, I am still living at home with my parents and siblings and we have recently been told that our house that we are selling, and which I have struggled to come to terms with has been sold which has made me really upset and anxious as I have been so used to my house and I am comfortable in my environment, however I understand I cannot stay at home with my parents for the rest of my life . Our move isn't even local and is a couple of hours away so I leave behind my friends and my work which surprisingly is one of the things keeping me going especially during the pandemic, and some local activities I attend.The thought of getting used to a new area, and people scares me so much and I have always been someone who has a small selection of friends but I always observe the type of people I associate with and this usually works in my favour as I have some really long lasting friendships, but a lot of my friends are similar to me and quite shy and quiet. My biggest fear is there response when I tell them I am moving.

Lastly, currently we have been through a pandemic which I have suffered quite badly with. Before I resumed work I was furloughed for a good couple of months as was a lot of others. The first couple of weeks didn't faze me and I was actually quite content with being at home, however the last couple of weeks before I returned to worked I formed quite high levels of depression. I was secluding myself from my family and didn't really know why, I was not eating as much, I was afraid of leaving the house because of the pandemic, my skin was getting worse . One day then came round and I just broke down, but I broke down to my family about my issues and this really helped and then I was getting better day by day. Until the move really, which has caused a setback.

Hopefully there are people who can relate to some of the situations and provide me with some support

Thank You

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome: Be yourself London. Do what makes you happy.

I'm sorry you are having to move but it sounds like there is nothing you can do about it. Change is difficult but can also bring new adventures and experiences.

I will be back soon to read the other half of your post and other members will be around soon too

L

London123

Thank you for your response, comments like this really help my mental health and make me feel a little more at ease

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Thank you for your response, comments like this really help my mental health and make me feel a little more at ease
I'm so pleased. I usually like to write more but my cat was screaming for food. I think for a 20 year old, it is probably the best thing to keep in your mind, to be yourself.

I spent my 20s saying to my mum that i 'should' be doing that or 'should' be going there. My mum said that i should just do what i want to do.

I was then on holiday mid 20s and was talking to a similar aged girl on the beach. She described herself as a 'homebod' and i thought that was great because i am that too. I clearly had just made the wrong type friends or my cousins were not like me, a homebod.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have just read paragraph two. You were isolating a little bit? I really enjoyed going out for that daily walk Boris said about. Then i started having a walk in the morning then one in the evening. Outside became busier didn't it, and i was tired of having to walk on the road to move out of people's way.

I started going out very early when people were still in bed.

Sunlight is so important for mood. Vitamin D. I think it is 15 mins per day minimum. Exercise and healthy eating/water are key to keeping depression and anxiety at bay.

L

London123

I can relate to this so much both my cousins are a little older than me about six months and they are out clubbing almost every night before the pandemic of course, and never at home and I just felt like I wasn't fulfilling what I should be at 20 but it is nice to know there are people out there who prefer being more of a Homebod

L

London123

I have just read paragraph two. You were isolating a little bit? I really enjoyed going out for that daily walk Boris said about. Then i started having a walk in the morning then one in the evening. Outside became busier didn't it, and i was tired of having to walk on the road to move out of people's way.

I started going out very early when people were still in bed.

Sunlight is so important for mood. Vitamin D. I think it is 15 mins per day minimum. Exercise and healthy eating/water are key to keeping depression and anxiety at bay.
This was also another factor we came across as a family when I was not myself, as I wasn't going out even when it was lovely and sunny so wasn't gaining the right vitamins and as a result was looking pale and as someone who is quite olive/ darker white skinned I defo didn't look my usual self. After my breakdown, my family insisted I went for walks and this really helped and we made it a family outing.