• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

I think mine starts with anxiety and then I end up depressed because of the changes in body chemistry - the amount of adrenaline "eating up" reserves of serotonin. StressBunny
Wow! ! I'm writing this down as I so get this . I hope you are doing good and happy .. 🤗

Me48

Me48

how do they treat your problem if you dont mind me asking. i feel like am hitting a wall.
I am only addressing my issues with medication (probably not the best way). I take Zoloft (generic version) daily which helped get me past the point of just waiting for things to be over (never looking forward to anything). I also have Xanax (generic version) that helps when my mind begins to race or I feel myself starting to get very anxious. I’ve had a few panic attacks and they are awful (so I look to the Xanax to prevent getting to that level). I see a psychiatrist a couple times a year but I don’t feel a connection to him. He’s ok and continues to prescribe what I need (I don’t have an addictive personality). I do find myself needing the Xanax more with current world events and being basically locked down...

MeJustMe

MeJustMe

Anxiety and depression TOTALLY go hand in hand in my experience. Depression tells you everything is hopeless, anxiety tells you to fear everything. You can 100% have both.

J

joshua364654

I agree with a lot of what people are saying. Anxiety and depression can feed into each other in many ways, they can be really intertwined. Your anxiety can cause you to feel down all the time, and your depression can cause you to feel anxious. That's an over simplified way of putting it, but I think they're linked. Hope everyone is keep safe in these uncertain times :)

S

Sally89

How did you know you had anxiety a and/or depression . How did you feel and does it come and go?

M

Marianda

I have both, depression and anxiety. For me it all started with anxiety during my last year at University. Then it turned into a full blown depression.

"What an excellent day for an exorcism." ( someone posted this in this thread and I find it hillarious)

R

Rcristal

I have posted this before. I am 70, suffer from various serious autoimmune issues along with anxiety and depression. I do not tolerate antidepressants and I take a little Xanax.

While I was never a self help person, I have found great benefit from two resources.

2- Dr. Claire Weeks, the long ago Australian Therapist. Long before meditation and mindfulness were en vogue she helped many of those who suffer through her four steps:
1- Face it
2-Accept it
3- Float
4-Allow time to pass

Her teaching while successful was theory. It has helped me during my life.

The current Therapist, Steven Hayes, uses the same principles. His ideas are researched and are quite successful. Rather than "acceptance" he talks about " willingness."

I would suggest they are both worth looking up.

Best to all,

Rcristal

O

Ollie6

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.
It's an awful feeling 😭😭

J

Jayneclaire

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.

J

Jayneclaire

It's an awful feeling 😭😭
The feeling of anxiety is unmistakable. The stomach in a constant knot. Deep down in the belly. Mine is near uncontrollable these days. Wine helps....but now i have a drinking problem. I recently read about a link between clonazapam and dementia. Anyone else?

B

Brielle

David Carbonell, a psychologist who does a lot of work around anxiety has published a useful page on his website which helps one understand the difference between anxiety and depression. Take a read .... you may find it useful.

Anxiety and Depression: Telling Them Apart
its been 7 years now living with general anxiety disorder and so much more..i have been reading almost everything of David Carbonell.. thanks for the link pal..if any of you have read the self-help book 'fear of flying workbook' written by him that is very helpful iv tried that personally..

B

Brielle

okay so anxiety and depression both has its particular signs and symptoms and they have different screening criteria ... there is a possibility you have either of them and equal possibility that you have both..

Symptoms of anxiety may include:

• Constant worry
  • Nervousness
  • Fear that is disproportionate to the situation
  • Negative and distorted thinking
while,

Symptoms of depression may include:

• Feeling sad and hopeless
  • Negative thinking patterns
  • Loss of self-esteem
  • Impaired concentration
  • Lack of motivation

J

Jayneclaire

For me anxiety is always about that wrenching in my stomach. It is that feeling of nervousness we all get before a speech or big event but it never goes away. It can last for days at a time and have no precipitating event or at least if there is one it is rarely proportional to that hyper feeling in your stomach. This is why I call it a jail bc you can't make it stop. Without clonazapam I am a wreck. Depression on the other hand is a feeling of dispair, hopelessness, low energy, bewilderment. Both conditions often occur together and when they do that is when thoughts of suicide come on. When I take care of myself and get on a routine I do better. But when the clouds come in it is like you cannot break from it.