• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

A

Adas

Hi everyone sounds like we all suffer alike does anyone suffer from head pain it sux I've suffered for over 30 years seems to be getting progesively worse

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

I think mine starts with anxiety and then I end up depressed because of the changes in body chemistry - the amount of adrenaline "eating up" reserves of serotonin. StressBunny
Wow! ! I'm writing this down as I so get this . I hope you are doing good and happy .. 🤗

Me48

Me48

how do they treat your problem if you dont mind me asking. i feel like am hitting a wall.
I am only addressing my issues with medication (probably not the best way). I take Zoloft (generic version) daily which helped get me past the point of just waiting for things to be over (never looking forward to anything). I also have Xanax (generic version) that helps when my mind begins to race or I feel myself starting to get very anxious. I’ve had a few panic attacks and they are awful (so I look to the Xanax to prevent getting to that level). I see a psychiatrist a couple times a year but I don’t feel a connection to him. He’s ok and continues to prescribe what I need (I don’t have an addictive personality). I do find myself needing the Xanax more with current world events and being basically locked down...

MeJustMe

MeJustMe

Anxiety and depression TOTALLY go hand in hand in my experience. Depression tells you everything is hopeless, anxiety tells you to fear everything. You can 100% have both.

J

joshua364654

I agree with a lot of what people are saying. Anxiety and depression can feed into each other in many ways, they can be really intertwined. Your anxiety can cause you to feel down all the time, and your depression can cause you to feel anxious. That's an over simplified way of putting it, but I think they're linked. Hope everyone is keep safe in these uncertain times :)

S

Sally89

How did you know you had anxiety a and/or depression . How did you feel and does it come and go?

M

Marianda

I have both, depression and anxiety. For me it all started with anxiety during my last year at University. Then it turned into a full blown depression.

"What an excellent day for an exorcism." ( someone posted this in this thread and I find it hillarious)

R

Rcristal

I have posted this before. I am 70, suffer from various serious autoimmune issues along with anxiety and depression. I do not tolerate antidepressants and I take a little Xanax.

While I was never a self help person, I have found great benefit from two resources.

2- Dr. Claire Weeks, the long ago Australian Therapist. Long before meditation and mindfulness were en vogue she helped many of those who suffer through her four steps:
1- Face it
2-Accept it
3- Float
4-Allow time to pass

Her teaching while successful was theory. It has helped me during my life.

The current Therapist, Steven Hayes, uses the same principles. His ideas are researched and are quite successful. Rather than "acceptance" he talks about " willingness."

I would suggest they are both worth looking up.

Best to all,

Rcristal

O

Ollie6

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.
It's an awful feeling 😭😭

J

Jayneclaire

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.

J

Jayneclaire

It's an awful feeling 😭😭
The feeling of anxiety is unmistakable. The stomach in a constant knot. Deep down in the belly. Mine is near uncontrollable these days. Wine helps....but now i have a drinking problem. I recently read about a link between clonazapam and dementia. Anyone else?