Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

R

Richard121

Thanks for nice post.It really help the people who has sank down depression.:):)

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya Ghost rider - :welcome: to the forum. Would you like to start a thread of your own? That way we can talk with you specifically.

I think Anxiety goes with most MH problems as most of us are fighting to stop the effects they have on us. Anxiety can be crippling for everyone and I see it as a symptom of underlying problems rather than a diagnosis in and of itself.

I wouldn't stop meds cold turkey as a rule, but that is up to each individual.

R

RumpleSS

I get really confused about what the difference is between anxiety and depression. They both make you feel awful.

T

THEWISEFARMER

Anxiety and depression sometimes feel like distant cousins. And if you are suffering from chronic anxiety
that can certainly be depressing. Having dealt with both, my personal definition of anxiety would be unjustified/irrational fear. Fear is a healthy normal response if there is a REAL threat. If you are in a state where you can recognize that there is no REAL threat BUT you feel threatened, frightened, in danger, out of control, strange physical symptoms which frighten you....that is anxiety. My personal definition of depression is low energy, a sort of sensory numbness, sadness, lack of enthusiasm for anything, inability to take pleasure in things which you normally enjoy....that is depression.

There are many degrees of both these afflictions. I believe there is a strong chemical component to both of them and sometimes prescription drugs can help "adjust" your internal chemistry back to a healthy balance.
Antidepressants just didn't work for me, and some made me feel worse, so I just gave up on them. Plus I didn't feel happy about the idea of being dependent on them in order to feel better so I was glad to stop taking them.

Ultimately what did help was psychotherapy, both group and individual. It didn't get better over night. My anxiety issues didn't arise until I was 32 years old (I am 69 now) so since it took 32 years for my anxiety to become a "psychosomatic" illness, it seemed more than reasonable that it took a couple of years of therapy for me to have a balanced life back.

Find a therapist who specializes in treating anxiety. After my first group therapy session (where I was too ANXIOUS to even open my mouth) I already felt "better" in that I realized that I was not the only one with this problem and I probably should stop telling myself that I must be some kind of freak. Actually problems with anxiety and/or depression are quite common and the only really WRONG thing you can do about them is to NOT get help.

IT IS COMPLETELY POSSIBLE TO RECOVER FROM THESE DISORDERS.

H

handheart

Thanks this helped me to clarify diference about anxity and depresion

sheeba8188

sheeba8188

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.
Having read this post with the exception of possible suicidal thoughts everyone if these are regular emotions for me

xMissDx

xMissDx

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.

These can easily run alongside each other. Anxiety is often a symptom of many mental health diagnoses. I don't believe it's always a case that you have one or the other, many people have both.

My own diagnoses have anxiety as a symptom.

B

billy13565

You do get both i have had both for few years now im still struggling day by day

H

hd1983

I have both right now, it isn’t one or the other I’m a lot of cases. I guess it depends on the severity but I’ve always struggled with depression, the trigger alternates between the depression starting the anxiety and the anxiety starting the depression.

B

billy13565

I agree what your saying at last someone that knows what there talking about

H

hd1983

I personally feel that you can feel with one, but as soon as they both kick in at the same time, that makes life just too hard. I don’t have any answers as I’m suffering from this right now. The thing I know is, as hard as it is, if it’s repetitive you need to try and find a way of helping yourself. I’ve found a counsellor and it’s a very long and slow journey, but once a week I have someone independent that I can talk to about these things and the issues you may have behind it all, I’m not saying by any means it’s an instant fix as I’d be lying if I said it was, but try and help yourself in anyway possible. I still have the darkest of dark thoughts but I only have to wait a week for support that is non judgmental x

B

billy13565

Hi I get help 3 days week plus mental health person comes out every 2 weeks now it will get better they said but will take time but I think I'll get bit better over time

J

joshuamiller

Stress is a precursor of anxiety disorders. Feeling anxious occasionally is common, but if you are experiencing this emotion on a daily basis that is preventing you from leading a normal life, then you may need to follow some steps to manage your anxiety. A little bit of stress can boost your productivity, but too much of it can take a toll on your life.

A

AdeleGrey

Anxiety and Depression are hard. My husband went through both and suffered for so long while testing out every medication you can think of.... experiencing side effects and withdrawals was a nightmare, but he made it out and his story is pretty remarkable.

YouTube