Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

W

White Wolf

I can easily tell that my problem is anxiety, but i have had depression in the past too. I could believe that many if not most people have the both at same time.

K

Kbower

My anxiety is through the roof. I feel really unstable?? I need constant reassurance and contact with people. Can't be on my own without thinking depressing thoughts that in turn make me throw up!! Help!!

M

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum Bianca.

What's wrong?

If you want to you could make a thread here of course you don't have to :)

Marliee x

A

Alienated

Depends on time of day morning I have anxiety of facing another shity day, at night I am depressed as Hell I survived and have to do it all again.

R

ricko4

my anxiety is awful its like i get butterflies in my stomach then a red hot rush of heat from my feet to my head just because i got to go to a appointment or anywhere away from home my gp gave me diazepam 2mg 3 a day for a week and for a week i was brilliant but hes never gave me them again although i never asked but i did tell him they were a godsend but now im on nothing but mirtazapine 1 a day

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
All the guilt are eating me on the inside help me please
Welcome to the forum. We're here for you. :hug:
We've all done bad stuff on occasion and we won't judge you. You are clearly a woman of conscience and so I think not someone who would do something out of malice. It'll be ok. :hug:

B

Bianca222

Hi guys I made a new account again I couldnt get into my old one

B

Bianca222

Hi guys I made a new account again I couldnt get into my old one Im having a hard time dealing with the guilt I need help

B

Bianca222

Anxity is no fun to go through and I hate feeling like this I made so many mistakes and the guilt is eating me i wish I can take them all back I wish I never did what I did

F

fair&square75

Hi Bianca, bless you.I've made many mistakes but we have to learn to forgive ourselves,we aren't perfect and only human...and look how you own up to it,alot of people don't yet you sound like your a caring person to be beating yaself up about this,sending u a hug,we all here to help so keep posting if u want to x

B

Bianca222

Dear fair and square

your right we all make mistakes and we learn from it but that mistake i made was a bad thing and its hard to forgive myself and my concience keeps bothering me thanks for trying to help me what you said made me feel better thanks :D

B

Bianca222

I worry to much I feel that im never going to see my family and I deserve to suffer for the awful things ive done its hard for me to stay positive all the negative thoughts are in my head I feel worthless and I hear voices calling my name it is driving me insane Im suffering I can

B

Bianca222

Eventhough I dont know you guys I love you I feel safe on this site im sending hugs to you and Im not alone.

merrida

merrida

I have both anxiety and depression. I am so lucky though, both are pretty much under control with medicine. I am so happy with my life. It's not perfect but I am still so happy and grateful for what I have. :)

I

Irone93

These are arbitrary distinctions attempting to distinguish between various states of unease. These categories hold no actual weight. Most people overlap diagnoses because they are ever evolving taxonomy based on nothing but a phenotypic explanation of symptoms. If it's important to you to find a catogory, then by all means, but in ten years they might change because a group of those appointed to determine reality voted on it.

N

Nafnlaus

Can anyone point me to what this is called? (I know "categorization" doesn't hold any real weight, but I still want a word to describe it):

In some ways I'm incredibly well adjusted, and in some ways I'm completely dysfunctional.

Well adjusted: I can walk out in crowds without even thinking about it. I take part in meetings and conferences, where I can talk about what I'm thinking, even express controversial opinions. I can chat with friends and loved ones openly (usually). Not much can "defeat" me... if things don't go the way I planned, I come up with a new way. If I had to lift something that was too heavy for me, I'd end up going to a hardware store and buying supplies to build a crane rather than admit to defeat. I moved halfway around the world with little hestitation and regularly embark on risky endeavours. I actually rather like challenging situations. I can go out to a concert and be the only one dancing, and look at other people trying to restrain themselves from dancing for fear of being judged by others, and feel good about how I'm not limited like that. I sometimes take to helping the band out get people moving and have even been brought up on stage by bands - no anxiety at all.

Poorly adjusted: When it comes to actually *talking* with poorly known people in circumstances like that or others with any possible level of anxiety associated with them I completely fall apart. The best result is that I look at my shoes and just smile and agree. The worst is like last night where I went out on a (very casual) date with someone I'd been chatting with online on and off for about a month - I walked in, he hugged me, I sat down and could only manage to look away from him while he started trying to strike up a conversation... I got up to get me water so I'd have something to distract me, came back, found that the water didn't help at all, excused myself, went upstairs breathing heavily and freaking out, found I couldn't get it back under control, sent him an SMS apologizing, grabbed my stuff and left.

Things related to language often get me (I'm an immigrant in Iceland). I speak Icelandic just fine, but sometimes when I find I can't express myself quite right my mind totally locks up, even if I'm talking with a friend or loved one... and when I say lock up, I mean looking like a cornered animal, eyes darting around, mumbling, looking for an exit from the room, rocking from side to side, breathing heavy, involuntarily rubbing my hands on my arms... you name it. Even though it's always possible here to switch over to English. The same reaction can be triggered from being in an important meeting for a while that I'm not really following well for some reason or another - whether language issues (usually not), lack of interest (more common), lacking the background to the subject matter (most common), etc. I've actually at one point at work slowly backed away from the group, hid, crawled on the floor under desks and out the door on the other side in order to get away.... it can get really, really bad.

A friend offered to help me out on my pronunciation recently, which I really appreciated. But his help involved reading from a book out loud, and the act of stumbling over words (which I knew quite well, but still stumbled sometimes) caused a bad panic attack. I excused myself, went home, found that I couldn't accomplish anything else for the rest of the evening because I was so shaken by it, and ended up going to sleep at 8 PM, when I'm normally a night owl, because it's all I could do. Yet in our "icelandic conversation group" that I attend I've never had any problems at all. Many people and people can join in or leave conversations at will, talking about whatever, and that gives me no stress whatsoever (I'm actually considered one of the best if not the best non-native speaker there, excepting pronunciation)

Phone calls are usually terrifying to me - much much worse than talking to people (especially strangers) in person. I'll sometimes drive half an hour each way in order to avoid a 2-minute phone call. Whenever I have to leave my phone number for some purpose I generally write "SMS-only" beside it. I've had times where I've freaked out so much that it's ended with me literally throwing my phone across the room (aiming for something soft, I've never damaged it)... but just having to get it away from me. I usually end up curled up on the floor in such circumstances. The "cornered animal" stuff always comes first, of course.

Summary: If I tell people I've got social anxiety, they'd interpret the "well adjusted" stuff as making no sense. If I tell them I don't, the "poorly adjusted" stuff would highly beg to differ. Is there some sort of name for what I have?

R

Raymond143

Read this blog it'll help you understand more maybe answer some of your questions

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GhostRider

I have been diagnosed with both. Though last week Sunday, I stopped all my meds cold turkey: Abilify, Prozac and Klonopin. So far I've been feeling pretty good about it, haven't gotten any of the withdrawal symptoms that I've read besides having some more drowsiness than usual. I don't know if this is a calm before the storm, but I decided to not count on medications to relief my depression, anxiety and ocd. Am I doing the right thing, but I haven't told my doctor about it... I just don't want to hear the, ' get back on them' discussion that I'm sure will follow.