Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

D

Dani90

studies shows there is a link between anxiety and depression, and now there is a link with psychosis as well. All these mental health problems are related in some way

C

c0691

What studies? Who did them? What was their methodology? Who paid for the studies?

J

jenna463

The Differences Between Anxiety and Depression.

Anxiety:

Apprehension over what's about to happen and what could happen in the future.
Worried thoughts, or a belief that something could go wrong.
Feeling like you need to run away or avoid things that could cause further anxiety.

Depression:

Feeling of sadness about the future, as though it's hopeless.
Listlessness, and a lack of belief that positive things will occur.
Little worry, but instead a certainty of future negative emotions. Possible suicidal thoughts.

Pike Queen

Pike Queen

I've always struggled with both though I would say the depression came first. The anxiety came a little later, but both have gotten worse due to medical conditions.

T

Tad76

anxiety & depression, a bit like the chicken and egg...had depression from 7 and at 27 anxiety came along,it rules my life and can be so difficult to explain to those who dont understand

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

I think I have always had a mix of anxiety and depression with one frequently kicking the other off. I get anxious when I am depressed and depressed when I am anxious, very difficult to see the dividing line.

I don't think any of these things can be pinned down very precisely what just exacerbates the way patients are treated by the professionals.

S

StressBunny

I think mine starts with anxiety and then I end up depressed because of the changes in body chemistry - the amount of adrenaline "eating up" reserves of serotonin. StressBunny

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm not sure how anxiety can be positive?

I think they are linked with me, eg due to social anxiety (as well as being a horrible person I suppose) I have no friends, then I get depressed about that, same with my eating problems they are fuelled by both anxiety and depression, and work, I feel too depressed to work, then I get panicky when I do work, because I can't cope, because I'm too depressed etc.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

I feel much the same Toasted Crumpet. I get social anxiety which depresses me AND because my depression makes it hard for me to cope with the simplest tasks I get anxious about being with people. So, definitely a vicious circle.

No way would I see my anxiety as being positive. It is actually physically painful as well because of the way it brings on things like muscular tension.

D

duff1981

am worrid i suffer with anxiety and depreshion and becouse i had a melt down when i was 14 i tried to treat my self, and now that i need help badly and dont feal am getting it or the meds there giving me are right. all i want is my life back, its like av for gotton how to live.

D

duff1981

thats the hard part to meet people and talk i some times cant even look them in the face.

D

duff1981

how do they treat your problem if you dont mind me asking. i feel like am hitting a wall.

D

duff1981

I think I have always had a mix of anxiety and depression with one frequently kicking the other off. I get anxious when I am depressed and depressed when I am anxious, very difficult to see the dividing line.

I don't think any of these things can be pinned down very precisely what just exacerbates the way patients are treated by the professionals.
worred what to do as i av lost faith in the pro s

N

nick123

So last night was OK had bit of energy 2pm went to sleep after looking film only way to get relaxed wake up 530am feel same again sick feeling in stomach mind paying song verse can't stopit tired want to sleep bit more but can't makes me feel sicker and hard to get up or motivate even though things I could do but this things is pulling me down don't seem like a lot but every day same knowing gonna go through it all again kills me so I take my xanax to stop me stressing wish someone had similar or an answer if is anxiety I'll get up to do stuff but I'll be like a zombie what that boost or energy feeling have no reason to worry only this feeling again now makes me irritable angrynover little things worry not gonna sort it need it symptoms daily tired ,sick feeling stomach, mind negative ,mind chatter,teeth metallic numb,in a daze ,dry mouth ,no appetite ,pins needles ,numbness in hands legs go sleep no feeling constant worry from all this ? Any meds or idears so many wasted years different symptoms no diagnosed fighting it is getting harder like to hear anyone else similar Greta forum this so sad read others too silent invisible illness