Anxiety and Depression: Which one do I have?

Y

yoyogirl

To me I see it as how I am coping with the problems in daily life and also biological side of depression and anxiety. To me I also see it as something I live with and I am not aiming to clinically recovered just at the level where I can cope a little better with life challenges.

N

notrealname

Hmm...is there really a distinction? I mean, you can have depression without anxiety but can you even have anxiety without depression? If you can, I don't think I've ever experienced it! I was diagnosed with anxiety but I would have ticked more boxes on the depression bit of that article than for anxiety. I've always seen my anxiety as an 'anxious escape' from my depression - i.e. I am anxious that I won't be able to escape my depression. If I give up trying to make things better then my anxiety disappears, but I get more depressed.

L

lpdorch54

I have just been on a course Understanding Depression and Anxiety and you can definitely have both together. Anxiety is often a reaction to situations you find unpleasant so you get panic attacks, shaking and leg wobbling. Depression is more when you have feelings of not wanting to take part in life so you don't want to get up or go out and in extreme cases have self harm and suicidal thoughts.

S

Shump

I would say almost opposite symptoms, so hard to mix... but one has likely both anxiety and depression for what ever reason. I guess that you call manic depression at certain point... In any case diagnoses feel bit moot when root issues aren't helped by some basic label.

M

maximumeffort

I have just been on a course Understanding Depression and Anxiety and you can definitely have both together. Anxiety is often a reaction to situations you find unpleasant so you get panic attacks, shaking and leg wobbling. Depression is more when you have feelings of not wanting to take part in life so you don't want to get up or go out and in extreme cases have self harm and suicidal thoughts.
Ipdorch54, you hit the nail on the head there. I definitely feel like i suffer with both anxiety and depression. I generally have no motivation to do anything but sleep but can also have severe panic attacks with situations that are unpleasant.

Oh hello everyone by the way. I am new, probably should of started with that!

E

Element

Thanks for this. The depression and anxiety descriptions are pretty much exactly me.

I

I_don't_know_what_to_do

Depression and anxiety are different subjective reactions to the same biochemical causes

I

I_don't_know_what_to_do

They occur comorbidly more often than not, the line between them is blurry

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I have now been told that I have both chronic depression and chronic anxiety. Isn't life so much fun??
its a barrel of monkeys all right :(

This life worked out nothing like I had planned...these days, well they're slipping right through my hands...

D

Deadfool

That's a big help, I wasn't really sure which I had or what the difference was. It's definitely depression for me and the more I look into it, I wonder why I didn't spot it earlier. All the symptoms have been there for years, steadily getting worse. There's definitely a touch of anxiety in there too.

C

CaptiveSpiritz

Hi,

I am a blogger who has actually written a couple of posts about the difference to do with Saddness V's Depression and Anxiety... What is it? There's lots of information on these blogs that might help to clear up the feelings and thoughts that your experiencing and might shed some light onto what your current situation is...

Last edited by a moderator:
V

voodoo-cats

I agree that both anxiety and depression both commonly coincide with each other. For me, the anxiety came first, really quickly followed by depression. Has anyone else experienced awful rage as well? I had no idea where it came from as I'm not an angry person. I had months of completely flipping out over nothing, then having breakdowns afterwards. My medication has only stopped the rages but my depression has worsened.

M

Mphillips

I am new to forum. I suffer from clinical depression. Mine always starts with anxiety. Currently suffering. I have had all physical signs. My body is shaking inside. I can't stop shaking my legs or body. Can't sleep. Lost stone in weight within a week. Can't stop crying all the time. Nil energy. Self loath all the time. Pins and needles in hands arms feet. My gums are sore. It's horrible thoughts which are worse. I do not feel suicidal but have done in past. I get fed up when people ask me how I stay slim. I wish I was just happy that's all I want. 😂😂😂😂

W

wandering

This really helped me understand my condition better, although I wish it helped my condition in general. I have terrible anxiety about my future prospects, although sometimes I think it is tied in with paranoia that nothing will every go my way and that people are conspiring against me. It is mostly just an inherent doubt in my day to day activities. I feel like it is taking over my life, i can't have healthy and normal relationships because my anxiety prevents me from having trust. Additionally, the absence of anything brings me a considerable void of loneliness which I don't understand. I see my friends enjoy their time alone and their productivity and I become so envious. I feel so consumed in my own mind. I think I am anxious, which then creates my depression for my existence, what can I do?

W

William starks

Thanks for Sharing your views.I really appreciate this.

J

Jess353

I don't know how to help. My boyfriend just keeps pushing me away or refuses to see me, when he is depressed and I don't know what to do to help.

D

dsherwood

I find it is easy for me to tell them apart. Well when I first got anxiety, I had a panic attack and knew exactly how it felt coming in the future. I find they sometimes work together and sometimes separate. Sometimes depression will come for months, and then subside, and anxiety will hit for a couple weeks and then both will occur simultaneously. It's like they hang out together.

M

Mark1888

Im not sure which one i had, but i know what solved it, and that was reading high quality books on it. The most important one was Presence and Positivity the new energy sources of the 21st century by victor hagen. I thinks its on amazon