• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety and depression- the feeling of doom

• Thread starter Tryingtobalancelife
  • Start date
T

Tryingtobalancelife

I have nothing wrong with my life. I have a happy family, a lovely house, safety.
But the pandemic has thrown me off. I am constantly anxious and depressed. I am scared of falling sick and being helpless.
the one thing which has always helped me with anxiety and depression is being able to step out, can’t do that now. And even if I do, I feel good for a day and then anxiou Watch myself for any symptoms.
It really is hell. Trying CBT- but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I need medication now.
Everyone in my family is against me taking medication but I just don’t have it in me to lift myself out of this sense of doom. Exercise, movies, good food- none of them seem to be helping kick of the serotonin push I need to get out of this feeling.
I am constantly told I have no problems ans that I need to help myself but I just don’t know how to. Getting out of bed is a struggle. The need to end it all crops up rather than live like this.

S

Sugaree

Welcome and I am sorry to hear you have been feeling badly. There are alot of people here whose anxiety and depression have gotten worse since covid. It has affected our lives. I hope the medication helps and then your family may be more supportive.

E

EclipticNight

Covid has shown me one thing, I'm wierd. I stay in one room all day every day and it does not bother me at all. Everyone else is getting crushed by the fear of death and lack of social interaction.

While I have no experience in how to help you remain social while the pandemic is raging I can explain why you dont need to fear covid, or any illness.

You can go outside, covid does not hang in the air long so only populated places are a risk. Yards, roads, trails etc should be safe if your cautious about people approaching you. Covid very rarely spreads from surfaces as long as its dry. Just wash off the thing and your good. If your worried about if you have it one symptom stands out most, loss of smell. Go smell something strong, if you can smell it your good. Taste also goes out the window so strong foods wont have taste either. No need to worry about the rest, if those are not present it's not covid.

At every moment in your life death is right beside you. You wake up and dont fall down stairs. Go out and survive the trip, work or go to school without a multitude of ways to die, go home and survive that trip and all the while your body could just fail. It sounds horrifying but really it shows that you escape death every day a thousand times. Covid is no different. It's a disease you need to be careful of. You cant let it paralyze you wondering if you will get it. Take all the precautions, be smart about it and use common sense and your risk is as low as it can be.

T

Tryingtobalancelife

Covid has shown me one thing, I'm wierd. I stay in one room all day every day and it does not bother me at all. Everyone else is getting crushed by the fear of death and lack of social interaction.

While I have no experience in how to help you remain social while the pandemic is raging I can explain why you dont need to fear covid, or any illness.

You can go outside, covid does not hang in the air long so only populated places are a risk. Yards, roads, trails etc should be safe if your cautious about people approaching you. Covid very rarely spreads from surfaces as long as its dry. Just wash off the thing and your good. If your worried about if you have it one symptom stands out most, loss of smell. Go smell something strong, if you can smell it your good. Taste also goes out the window so strong foods wont have taste either. No need to worry about the rest, if those are not present it's not covid.

At every moment in your life death is right beside you. You wake up and dont fall down stairs. Go out and survive the trip, work or go to school without a multitude of ways to die, go home and survive that trip and all the while your body could just fail. It sounds horrifying but really it shows that you escape death every day a thousand times. Covid is no different. It's a disease you need to be careful of. You cant let it paralyze you wondering if you will get it. Take all the precautions, be smart about it and use common sense and your risk is as low as it can be.
Thank you so much! I understand all this logically. I had a bad experience of falling sick during the pandemic. My husband, child and I came back to our house after being in a different city for 6 months (we were locked out, couldn’t travel). Disaster of a house with a 2 year old toddler- roach infestation types. The building placed us in quarantine as we had traveled in a car from a different state.
the day after reaching when I was exhausted at 10 am in the morning from cleaning the mess, I realised I had 102 fever. My husband got one too later in the day.We had no family, support, nodoctor , medical tests took 3 days to arrange, delayed reports.My husband’s fever reached 104 one night and I could do nothing. I had no strength to drive him to the hospital, no ambulances available. A you g child with no symptoms.
It wasn’t covid. We were bitten by the chikungunya mosquito and displayed symptoms after we came back to our home from our in laws. We recovered fine but no one was there to help. That incident was the start of my acute anxiety. For nearly a month after I used to have throat irritation which I could never pin point and kept taking antibiotics and anti histamines but was later diagnosed as acute anxiety causing GERD.
I’ve been doing CBT since. Helps in patches. But the thought of falling sick and having no help with my toddler - isolated is one of my many triggers.

N

navhealth

I have nothing wrong with my life. I have a happy family, a lovely house, safety.
But the pandemic has thrown me off. I am constantly anxious and depressed. I am scared of falling sick and being helpless.
the one thing which has always helped me with anxiety and depression is being able to step out, can’t do that now. And even if I do, I feel good for a day and then anxiou Watch myself for any symptoms.
It really is hell. Trying CBT- but it doesn’t seem to be helping. I need medication now.
Everyone in my family is against me taking medication but I just don’t have it in me to lift myself out of this sense of doom. Exercise, movies, good food- none of them seem to be helping kick of the serotonin push I need to get out of this feeling.
I am constantly told I have no problems ans that I need to help myself but I just don’t know how to. Getting out of bed is a struggle. The need to end it all crops up rather than live like this.
Mine all started at the first lockdown..somebody who was playing football weekly and going gym 6 days a week..and having that taken away threw my whole life off..since then i have been dealing with health anxiety and sometimes panic attacks..hold in there..once this stupid lockdown is over..get out more get a hobby keep yourself active and your mind busy..try to get your life back on track..

You are not alone i am in exact same boat as you..but mediciation is not something i would take..this is a mental issue..need to build and try to get mentally stronger to overcome and beat this.