• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety and Depression in Ramadan

B

bad_karma

Hello everyone, this is a new avenue for me. Talking about the anxiety that I fear I honestly am very frightened everyday. I wake up in the middle of the night with a panic attack. I have had 3 weeks of depression mixed with loneliness like in my mind I'm a loser with no friends. Now at work after a stellar year I have to deal with a new coworker who annoys me. I have to transition from my current position into another role which isn't well defined. I'm a husband a father of two. Currently I use kratom powder and I would not lie to you it definitely has helped with my anxiety however I have been using it for about 6 years and to be honest I go through highs and lows. I'm not naturally quiet person who keeps things to myself however I found out the hard way that being an emotional man in this society is a very dramatic existence. It is currently Ramadan and I made the choice after years of having nervous breakdowns to not participate in the daily fasts because without fail I would have several nervous breakdowns not having a stable diet. The guilt deep down inside is very difficult to handle however I'm very happy with my decision . I wanna scream!

P

Player1514

I know the feeling of betraying religion. It seemed like everything I had been taught my whole life I was throwing out the window. I used to feel like I don't respect my parents enough or I am disrespecting them. I don't know what to say, except it is normal to feel this way when you are doing something that feels against everything you thought you were. once religion was a big part of my life that's why I know. I just want you to know you made the decision. think of it this way if you like.

religion is for you to feel better mentally. it gives you a higher power to believe it so you can hold on. it gives you rituals so you feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself so people don't feel lonely. but if it is making you put up against the very thing it is trying to protect then I'll say it is not worth it. religion is for you, not the other way around. I wish you luck. Sorry If I overstepped in any way.

2Much2Feel

Hey, bad karma, I'm sorry for your situation. Religion can certainly wreak havoc on the mind, particularly with guilt. I just got a call the other day from my priest b/c I have chosen to not go to Mass in person for the past few months, including Holy Week, and I feel total guilt and like I've let him down. Part of me wonders if God would really hold me to it, as my priest is saying He would, but I like to think that God is loving and wants us to be happy and to be safe--and, in your case, healthy! Good for you for making a difficult decision based on something that just isn't worth it--God wants you to be around!! I'm getting tired, so sorry if this is not making much sense. In any case, you are not leaving your religion, just tailoring one aspect. Good to have faith :)

I'm sorry for your struggles at work--people can make work so miserable. But good for you for keeping down a job amidst all you are going through. I don't know much about krat om (my computer won't let me spell it, damnit), but be careful with it. I know this may sound stupid, but have you ever tried using hypnosis for sleep? It's amazing what it can do, and I never, ever believed in that stuff. Maybe it can ease your anxiety at night. Audible on Amazon and plenty of other places have really good hypnosis for sleep for just about any issue you may have.

I wish you a very Happy Ramadan, and one in which you will be more mentally healthy this year!