• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Anxiety and chest/back pain

L

Lroser

Hello I’ve been having chest and back pain since around November time. I have convinced myself I have lung cancer, cancer in the spine, angina and all sorts of awful things. I can’t get the thought out of my head and find myself thinking about what I would do if I died and how I would write letters for my children for when they grow up.

I have been to the doctors and had an ecg and blood test and am back next week to discuss the results. I’ve been assured that it’s probably not lung cancer as I’m only 30 but I’ve been a smoke for years so can’t get the thought out of my head.

My question is does anyone else have upper back pain (around the spine/ shoulder blades and chest discomfort? Could this all just be caused by anxiety? Thank you in advance x

Acorn

Acorn

In my experience anxiety can be very physicaly painful. Best to get medically checked just in case but yes it could be anxiety

Eleison

Eleison

Anxiety can cause tension-pain in lots of areas. Glad you're getting checked out just in case.

R

Rach05

Yes yes yes deff k ow what you are feeling. I know when my anxiety is having a flare up. Mine came back last week with buring type pain upper back spine and centre of chest and then the anxiety. Am i having a heart attack? Clot in lung? Cancer? Then i go to the doctors, in the past i have even went to the hospital convinced im having a heart attack. 🙈 its meant to be to do with your muscles and being all tensed up.

Rachel xx

L

Lroser

Thank you, it’s good to know you have the same symptoms not that I would wish this on anyone. It’s such a worry, it not like you can just stop breathing just to relieve symptoms. I’m really trying to convince myself it’s just anxiety, have a doctors appointment in the morning but I feel like even if they say everything is fine I won’t believe them. Is this something you get regularly that comes and goes? I feel like it’s been pretty constant now for a couple of months x

N

Nate

Hello I’ve been having chest and back pain since around November time. I have convinced myself I have lung cancer, cancer in the spine, angina and all sorts of awful things. I can’t get the thought out of my head and find myself thinking about what I would do if I died and how I would write letters for my children for when they grow up.

I have been to the doctors and had an ecg and blood test and am back next week to discuss the results. I’ve been assured that it’s probably not lung cancer as I’m only 30 but I’ve been a smoke for years so can’t get the thought out of my head.

My question is does anyone else have upper back pain (around the spine/ shoulder blades and chest discomfort? Could this all just be caused by anxiety? Thank you in advance x
I've been through what your going through. I thought I had a terminal illness like lung cancer, I even though I had Parkinson's disease. I went to the Emergency room and the doctor said I was fine, this went on for years. I have terrible anxiety and I have Schizophrenia so I'm always fighting my thoughts. I hope you can settle down from your symptoms.

R

Rach05

Thank you, it’s good to know you have the same symptoms not that I would wish this on anyone. It’s such a worry, it not like you can just stop breathing just to relieve symptoms. I’m really trying to convince myself it’s just anxiety, have a doctors appointment in the morning but I feel like even if they say everything is fine I won’t believe them. Is this something you get regularly that comes and goes? I feel like it’s been pretty constant now for a couple of months x

Yeah it really is, i get this on and off when my anxiety flares up over the past 3 years ive had it. I get headaches too then i panic. Its hard cuz your brain just jumps to panic theres something wrong when theres not. Let me know how you get on. I. Going to doctor on wednesday too. Xx

L

Lroser

Doctor reassured me it’s just anxiety, although it makes me angry anxiety can show up in so many different ways as if the unnecessary worrying wasn’t enough!
They are going to give me a chest x ray just to reassure me there’s no other problems as I still kept asking about cancer and other terminal illnesses.
I hope it goes well for you Wednesday and you get the help you are looking for x

LeBegster

LeBegster

Hello.... obviously been a while since you posted this & you may no longer see replies....your symptoms & thoughts identical to mine currently...going out of my mind with worry over upper back&chest pain......ecg,bloods&chest x ray clear....did you ever get resolution for yours or was it anxiety?? Thanks

P

PuppyBackpack19

Yeah, I can relate to what you wrote. What I do is that I try to think about what's been bothering me over the last few days, weeks, and months, and write it down in my journal. Sometimes thoughts that make us anxious that we suppress or try to forget about can create physical pain.

C

Cor1512

Hi I get this exact same thing I get left side chest back pain shortness of breath Iv had tests all normal it’s really frustrating yes it can be anxiety definitely I was the same I diagnosed myself with lung cancer angina heart problems copd you name it I diagnosed myself still get it so bad

C

Cor1512

Hello.... obviously been a while since you posted this & you may no longer see replies....your symptoms & thoughts identical to mine currently...going out of my mind with worry over upper back&chest pain......ecg,bloods&chest x ray clear....did you ever get resolution for yours or was it anxiety?? Thanks
Hi I come across this thread and felt relief as I get such bad upper left chest pain and back pain almost radiating I was convinced copd cancer spinal cancer heart disease etc etc I had chest X-ray bloods all normal I get bad shortness of breath to hope your ok

LeBegster

LeBegster

Hi....well i have now been taking indigestion tabs the last 2 weeks as apparently could be this alongside severe anxiety...vicious circle as anxiety pain..if that is what the pain is....is caused by my worrying over pain being something sinister....omg!
I wont take the tabs much longer before getting a GP referal for a camera down to investigate. I couldnt believe how many of my friends i talked to over Christmas that live with indigestion & all could relate to the pain...made me feel a bit better but think i will need something for the anxiety and hard to handle in lockdown 3....
i still 80% sure it something more than indigestion😶🤔

C

Cor1512

OMG I so get you it’s a horrible circle Iv tried all this indigestion relief antibiotics physio my drs even prescribed me asthma pumps 🙄 which did absolutely nothing what I don’t get is chest X-ray bloods all fine my oxygen is 100% but I feel shortness of breath I don’t get that so frustrating

C

Cor1512

But then we have to accept that anxiety is always trying to convince ourselves this can’t be anxiety must be this that etc that’s part of the circle have you tried cbt or talk therapy