• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety aids, fiddle toys etc

Topcat

Topcat

Has anyone here found anything touted as an item helpful for anxiety (stress toy, fidget cube, chewing etc etc) actually helpful? My teen daughter is being bothered by her hands shaking and stomach related problems that is probably due to non specific anxiety at school. She finds chewing gum helps, but I wondered if there were any other 'tools' available. I've suggested daily deep breathing, but I doubt she'll try and get into the habit.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Has anyone here found anything touted as an item helpful for anxiety (stress toy, fidget cube, chewing etc etc) actually helpful? My teen daughter is being bothered by her hands shaking and stomach related problems that is probably due to non specific anxiety at school. She finds chewing gum helps, but I wondered if there were any other 'tools' available. I've suggested daily deep breathing, but I doubt she'll try and get into the habit.
Depends on the person. I tend to pick at my ears and always have a a scab at the top or my ear so sponge things are good for me to pick at.

Topcat

Topcat

Depends on the person. I tend to pick at my ears and always have a a scab at the top or my ear so sponge things are good for me to pick at.
Thanks for that, I looked for things to chew (as chewing gum helps her - but not allowed it in class) and found these chew necklaces. I'll ask her if she thinks that might help.

Have you ever tried CBD for anxiety?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Thanks for that, I looked for things to chew (as chewing gum helps her - but not allowed it in class) and found these chew necklaces. I'll ask her if she thinks that might help.

Have you ever tried CBD for anxiety?
Cbd as in cannabinoids. Or cbt as in therapy?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

As in the first one.
Never tried Medical CBD. Used to smoke it though and it was really bad for my mental health. My paranoia was to much to deal with so i had to stop it

Topcat

Topcat

Does your girl grind her teeth, or fidget with her hands? Patterns of behavior can always be managed and redirected
No teeth grinding, I don't think she fiddles either. She used to have some facial tics, but she's slowly grown out of them, and she has always had a few sensory 'things' which are a bit of a family trait.
Her other problem is sleeping, we are trying out melatonin at the mo which is working to get her off to sleep earlier, but she wakes very early instead.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

No teeth grinding, I don't think she fiddles either. She used to have some facial tics, but she's slowly grown out of them, and she has always had a few sensory 'things' which are a bit of a family trait.
Her other problem is sleeping, we are trying out melatonin at the mo which is working to get her off to sleep earlier, but she wakes very early instead.
Mmm ok ive no clue then. Usually picking at somthing or playing with a neclace or something. Wish i could help more

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Ive tried the melatonin jellys. They work a treat but feel a bit rough in the morning

Topcat

Topcat

Mmm ok ive no clue then. Usually picking at somthing or playing with a neclace or something. Wish i could help more
That's ok :) I showed her the chew necklaces this morning but she thought they were a bit weird, lol. She just wants me to get school to let her chew gum in class.
I'll have a look at apps maybe, like Headspace, see if there's anything she thinks will help.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Flash back to when i was young. I used to count beads. My old man gave me some sort of catholic prayer thing but it had loads of beads on it which i used to count. Back and forwards was a calming thing

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Fixations of the hands are the way i think. Im now a smoker and that oral fixation replaced all others fairly quickly. And ill never get rid of the now. Get in there early and pre empt the smoking

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Anxiety Forum 0
A Anxiety Forum 1
C Anxiety Forum 2
W Anxiety Forum 2
U Anxiety Forum 2