• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Anxiety Ahhhhhh!!!

H

HenryTom

Hey All,

So new to this, have never posted anything on a forum like this before but said feck it what have I to lose!

So around 2 years ago I quit my long term job because I hated it, to be honest I’m not sure the career in general is for me, my career is property / real estate and it was a sales job (if only I could wind back 12 years and choose a different course). So I had quite a bad bout of depression at the time which was a long time coming mixed with crippling anxiety and I just had to get out of there. I spent nearly 12 months out of work and felt like shit. Then I got very cabin feverish being at home all day and felt like a loser doing nothing with my life so when a job came up in property I decided I would give it another shot as this job was in property management so dealing with rentals etc. So the first couple months were horrendous, I had many panic attacks and eventually went to my GP who recommended lexapro which helped somewhat. I am nearly 12 months in this new role and I dread every Sunday as all I do is worry all day about Monday. The job is very fast paced with people constantly calling with issues and I’ve decided it’s just not the career for me! My issue is I now have come to the decision that I need to change career but I do not deal with stress well at all. On the surface it would seem to the average person that im calm and not a worry in the world but inside I am a panicky anxious mess.

I could really benefit from some advice in terms of what career I could potentially look at. During Covid we have had to work from home which I found I liked so something like this would be good. Part time positions would suit also as I’m fairly low maintenance money wise so can get by on a little and to be honest money isn’t my end goal here at all, it is happiness or at least contentment. I suppose my question is does anyone have any experience with changing careers with crippling anxiety and any suggestions on career paths that would involve very little dealing with customers and low stress. Or am I being naive that there is such a position out there? Another issue that you may know can go hand in hand with anxiety or depression is low confidence / self esteem which in my case has always been a problem and feeds into my anxiety.

Anyways I would love to hear from anyone who has any suggestions or has even felt similar to this in the past and what you did to come out the other side!!

Thanks I’m advance.

ParxSP

ParxSP

I'm not sure anyone can advise you on a new 'career' as such cos I think you're the only one who will know when you've found the right path. If money is not a major object why don't you try several jobs and see what you like. It could be something totally different such as bar work or waiter. Maybe working in a small local shop if there are any jobs around. Or put your CV out to companies you think you might enjoy working with.
I hope you find the right path as it's not easy for sure.

H

HenryTom

Thanks
I'm not sure anyone can advise you on a new 'career' as such cos I think you're the only one who will know when you've found the right path. If money is not a major object why don't you try several jobs and see what you like. It could be something totally different such as bar work or waiter. Maybe working in a small local shop if there are any jobs around. Or put your CV out to companies you think you might enjoy working with.
Thanks ParsXP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Anxiety Forum 0
blog15 Anxiety Forum 0
R Anxiety Forum 1
U Anxiety Forum 4
S Anxiety Forum 3