Anxiety about sleep... insomnia from anxiety.

8damien8

I'm 41 years old, and have always had OCD (washing hands, opening doors with paper towels, etc) and have always been a bit anxious... But I somehow managed to deals and live a good life.

In 2014, I got married, bought a house and moved out from my family. All the changes caused me anxiety and I ended up noticing it in my sleep. My doctor prescribed Ativan, and after a month of taking it, I couldn't sleep without it, and even with the drugs, I wasn't sleeping well. I finally quit a few months later, and went through hell that I just attributed to withdrawal... Until now.

On March 1st, we had our second son, and a lot of other life changes a d stressors, and once again, I started to experience insomnia.

It has been two months, and now I understand a lot of what happened to me in 2014 had to do with my anxiety, not just the pills.

In March, it seemed like I'd get 1-2 nights of sleep, and then 1-2 nights of little to zero sleep. Over the last two weeks, I've been trying to use CBT and meditation to help myself, and I did see improvements. I slept every night and my anxiety was noticeably lower. But this past Tuesday, I could not sleep at all. Maybe got half hour.

That spiked up my anxiety, and I've been filled with it all week and had trouble with sleeping.

I keep worrying about sleeping. I worry I won't sleep for days. I worry I'm going to fall apart.

I will not take prescription meds because that causes me super anxiety knowing I'm on meds for something.

I do have some prescription cannabis that helps a bit with the anxiety, but it's hit and miss with the sleep.

I feel alone here. Can anyone help?

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Anxiety is the major culprit of your insomnia. It’s going to be hard to fall asleep if you’re anxious. I usually try distractions in order to fall asleep. Try listening to Ebooks or calm relaxing stories on a low volume.

Have you tried melatonin? It’s a natural hormone that regulates sleep. It’s over the counter so no prescription is needed. If you’re not on any antidepressants or any medication for mental health, you can try GABA, L-theanine as relaxers combined with melatonin.

I hope this helps.

8damien8

I used melatonin and some cannabis last night, and got zero sleep.

This has been going on since late March.

Has anyone else had this sort of anxiety where you can't sleep sometimes for a couple of days?

And has anyone felt so much anxiety about it, that is just feeds the insomnia?