• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Antisocial personality disorder

22vince22

Well, Hellen, it seems like you have accomplished what you set out to do in the first place, namely:

"Look (ing) for someone with ASPD diagnosis"

And it seems there aren't anyone here for you to get 'more information' after all. So I hope your search elsewhere proves more fruitful.

Sorry I can't be of any empirical help. 22vince22

H

Hellen

I love how welcoming all of you are,it warms my little loving heart :D

But there should be a sign that says "Do not post if you have nothing useful to say"

I rest my case here...

Hope you all stay well in your wonderland of depression,have fun!

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hey Hellen, I think some of the answers have been quite blunt with you. ASPD has a bad reputation and as such the docs give you this label then act against you. That is disgraceful. |Personally, I would go back and demand a discussion about how they came to this decision and discuss it with you.

If you are ASPD then maybe you won't care what people say to you. I have seen a lot of people with PDs on here, but none with ASPD, well none who said so. Maybe you will find others, I don't know.

22vince22

Hello Helen

Do please let me know if there is anything you think I may be able to offer of use to you here on this forum.

Sincerely, Vince

J

jackseoexp

I am not sure if it applies to all personality disorders, but there is a therapy called DBT, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, which is aimed specifically at people with PDs and really helps with impulses, actions and how to manage your life.
<a href="http://www.myersbriggspersonalitytest.org/">myersbriggspersonalitytest</a>

H

Hellen

Hey Hellen, I think some of the answers have been quite blunt with you. ASPD has a bad reputation and as such the docs give you this label then act against you. That is disgraceful. |Personally, I would go back and demand a discussion about how they came to this decision and discuss it with you.

If you are ASPD then maybe you won't care what people say to you. I have seen a lot of people with PDs on here, but none with ASPD, well none who said so. Maybe you will find others, I don't know.
Thanks for your answer,I appreciate your non ironic response since everyone has been plain rude. I honestly don't care about what other people say and you might ask;then what the hell are you doing here? I've been forced by family members to undergo some kind of therapy and I did it.I had many sessions,all plain boring but at the same time entertaining,there's nothing more funny than messing with people's minds.I was put under medication which I did not take because I'm perfectly fine and then this was the diagnosis.I asked some questions but the doctor's couldn't give me a specific answer so I decided to leave.That's why I'm here,I was looking for some insight about this diagnosis.I'm not going to another doctor,I'm not going to lose a night of sleep because of this,I just wanted some sort of explanation,mainly because the reactions I got from the doctor's were plain weird,I just got curious.

22vince22

Hiya Hellen

Hope you are well.

Well you may not have got an 'explanation' you were looking for on this site. What I think you may have got, however, is a valuable insight into how people react should they themselves be put on the receiving end of what they perceive as 'rude' comments.

In other words, it's not just the ASPD's of this world who react with "rude' and "terse' comments. You will find it in even the most placid human being.

What I am saying, though, is people who you appear to cite as "plain rude" are perhaps merely reflecting something they see in your comments they perceive as 'rude'. And if you really don't care about what people say then why bother even to raise the subject of "rudeness". I for one wouldn't bat an eyelid :)

Now Hellen, you say you are being "forced" by your family into seeking "treatment" ? Even so, for the life of me, I cannot see what kind of force they could be applying sufficient to subdue you into following their will. (Assuming you are not a child)

If, on the other hand, you love your family ... and they are threatening to withdraw their "love'... then I should say you are exhibiting love and that this human trait is what better defines you. All told, I would be livid if someone slapped the label ASPD upon me !!!! That said, I wouldn't live up to the connotation it carries ... nor would I deny it either if, indeed it were true.

Hellen, just try to drop the veil of contempt for me for one moment and see that I am on your side. By all means gainsay my words and tell me you don't want anybody on your side. But, like it or not, I do understand the impertinence of doctors who slap labels on people that subsequently have a lasting, negative effect on "their" patients.

Sincerely, Vince :)

Last edited:
calypso

calypso

Admin
You want a very direct answer Hellen? My father was a probation officer and he worked with people with this diagnosis. It usually means someone who will use anything to hand to get their way, they have very limited empathy or remorse for their actions. They can often end up in prison because they will be violent if they feel they should, and don't often think of consequences beforehand.

Being able to con people and get away with it can be done relatively easily if you are ASPD, because you have little remorse and don't care about the person you are conning.

My father's belief was that people are often not born with ASPD, but made by their background. It is near to psychopathy, but not considered the same.

I think that though when someone gets this diagnosis, like any diagnosis, we can start to think we should live up to it. Your reactions on here are so classic, I do wonder if you are living up to the diagnosis, or if it is really you. Normal therapy doesn't work, and the problem for society with someone who has ASPD is that you cannot see the reason to engage in any therapy as you don't think you need it.

The reason other people think you need it is because you are disturbing to them and having limited empathy, you can frighten people quite a lot. You say you have never hurt anyone and thank goodness for that.

The docs turned hostile because they cannot deal with this diagnosis, and instead of doing research to try and find out how they can challenge you view of the world, they just reject the person as hostile and potentially dangerous. Personally, I think they should see it as a disorder like any other, and try to find ways to challenge you. But instead they run away. For once I feel like a lot of the anti psychiatry people on here (which is rare for me), but if they can't drug it, they reject it.

This is blunt, so I hope you realise I am stating all this only to answer your question about this diagnosis. Take care. xxx

22vince22

Hellen; I did try to make you aware of "living up" to the label Hellen.

People are now picking up on this.

Hope you have Hellen.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Oh I forgot to add, There is a book about Psychopaths, which includes some of the behaviour of ASPD, called "Without Conscience" by Dr Robert Hare, the world leader on the subject. You might like to get it off Amazon. It will fully explain things, and give you the difference between ASPD and Psychopathy. I highly recommend it.

If any of the above disturbs you, or you disagree with, please feel free to say so, I won't be offended. There are also three predictors of people who may evolve with this; harming animals as children, setting fires and late bed wetting. You may well not have these.

I will add, don't accept this diagnosis if you honestly don't agree with it. xx

PS Yes Vince you did say so. I am just emphasizing it.

H

Hellen

You want a very direct answer Hellen? My father was a probation officer and he worked with people with this diagnosis. It usually means someone who will use anything to hand to get their way, they have very limited empathy or remorse for their actions. They can often end up in prison because they will be violent if they feel they should, and don't often think of consequences beforehand.

Being able to con people and get away with it can be done relatively easily if you are ASPD, because you have little remorse and don't care about the person you are conning.

My father's belief was that people are often not born with ASPD, but made by their background. It is near to psychopathy, but not considered the same.

I think that though when someone gets this diagnosis, like any diagnosis, we can start to think we should live up to it. Your reactions on here are so classic, I do wonder if you are living up to the diagnosis, or if it is really you. Normal therapy doesn't work, and the problem for society with someone who has ASPD is that you cannot see the reason to engage in any therapy as you don't think you need it.

The reason other people think you need it is because you are disturbing to them and having limited empathy, you can frighten people quite a lot. You say you have never hurt anyone and thank goodness for that.

The docs turned hostile because they cannot deal with this diagnosis, and instead of doing research to try and find out how they can challenge you view of the world, they just reject the person as hostile and potentially dangerous. Personally, I think they should see it as a disorder like any other, and try to find ways to challenge you. But instead they run away. For once I feel like a lot of the anti psychiatry people on here (which is rare for me), but if they can't drug it, they reject it.

This is blunt, so I hope you realise I am stating all this only to answer your question about this diagnosis. Take care. xxx
I'm not living up to any diagnosis because I don't know anything about it,this is just the way I am and I've always been like this.My family perceives me as a violent person and that's why I went to therapy or whatever it is.I didn't wanted to go but they said I should,that it would be better for me and I thought,why not?I have nothing better to do,I'm not working right now,I don't know anyone so I might as well go and have some fun while I'm there.It was fun while it lasted but as soon as I got the diagnosis they suddenly lost all the interest they had in my case.As for my complaining about people being rude,I seriously don't care,I was treated badly all my life why should I care now?It's all meaningless to me,I have far more important things to worry about.People made a huge thing out of this topic while the only thing I wanted was a simple answer like yours,so I have to thank you for not being a complete idiot!

calypso

calypso

Admin
You were treated badly all your life. There is a key. As I said before, ASPD is made, not innate. It can be unmade. There is another life around you know, if you ever want to look into it and not see therapy as just fun.

I appreciate you want to stay as you are. Do read the book.