• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Antisocial personality disorder

H

Hellen

Well,I made a post awhile back but it was deleted,I guess I was to aggressive,maybe,I don't know,there was nothing triggering on that post,nevermind...
I've been recently diagnosed with ASPD (Antisocial personality disorder) and I want to know what it really means,no wikipedia,no bullsh*t like that.The doctors were rude,they didn't gave me any information and I want to know what the hell this means.Has anyone been diagnosed with ASPD?

U

uani73

How do you feel about society in general, do you want to interact but cant or do you not like what you see

H

Hellen

How do you feel about society in general, do you want to interact but cant or do you not like what you see
Are you asking me?The lack of punctuation confused me.I'm great at interacting with people.Do I like to interact?No.Do I like what I see?I don't like it either.

calypso

calypso

Admin
hello Hellen

I am not an expert at all. I would challenge that diagnosis if you can, as its linked to aggression and violence quite a lot. But it doesn't mean you are or others are. From what I know, you could have a tendency to do whatever you think you want to do at the moment, with limited thought for whether it will impact on others.
There is a tendency to be impulsive and just go with whatever you feel like and because you don't always think about it, you can get into trouble quite quickly.

My father was a Probation Officer years back (he's dead now) and he said that it was challenging to deal with young offenders who were ASPD as they often did not see what was wrong with the way they were, so didn't see the need for change. As you are worried and writing on here, you clearly are not like that.

I am not sure if it applies to all personality disorders, but there is a therapy called DBT, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, which is aimed specifically at people with PDs and really helps with impulses, actions and how to manage your life. I understand it is really hard work, but all who have mentioned it on here, swear by it.

Sorry I can't be more help. I hope I haven't offended you at all. xx

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i want to offend everyone there is to offend, mostly I just fail, to offend. and to be antisocial that is lord knows I bloody try to offend all people, and be so dam antisocial that to be flung in jail would be so manageable, yet they insist ONE fits into society and get on with it, why one asks when its obvious I fail on every level? jail is my sanctuary.

pops

H

Hellen

I'm not worried about it,I don't think there's anything wrong with me,I just found it odd the way I was treated by the doctors and the lack of information they provided.As soon as they said ASPD their behavior towards me changed drastically and I was out of there in less than 5 minutes.

22vince22

Hiya Hellen

Hope all is well. Doctors often work from text-book definitions. And the text-book definition of ASPD, at least what I have read, isn't very flattering. This may explain why the doctors were rude to you.

From my own perspective, I know lots of people who are good people who would perhaps qualify, as they say, as ASPD.

The problem is, when a label is fixed onto us by a doctor it can often influence how others' perceive us. Tragic, I know, but that seems to be the way it is . People, that is, seem to think doctors are the last word in determining a persons' worth and personality.

Wonder what label they have stuck in Doctor Harold Shipman's notes ?? : ) : )

Good luck Hellen and sincere best wishes, Vince

H

Hellen

Hiya Hellen

Hope all is well. Doctors often work from text-book definitions. And the text-book definition of ASPD, at least what I have read, isn't very flattering. This may explain why the doctors were rude to you.

From my own perspective, I know lots of people who are good people who would perhaps qualify, as they say, as ASPD.

The problem is, when a label is fixed onto us by a doctor it can often influence how others' perceive us. Tragic, I know, but that seems to be the way it is . People, that is, seem to think doctors are the last word in determining a persons' worth and personality.

Wonder what label they have stuck in Doctor Harold Shipman's notes ?? : ) : )

Good luck Hellen and sincere best wishes, Vince
I don't think I qualify as a good person according to the social standards but I also do not care about those standards.I was forced to go to a psychiatrist because some family member noticed some changes on my behavior.I've always been a violent person,even though I NEVER harmed anyone,but I was always verbally and psychologically abusive towards everyone around me.The thing is,it wasn't a change,I was always this way and I don't see why I have to change,you're entitled to be whoever you want.

U

uani73

Yes it was a question and i forgot to put a punctuation on it sorry, if you dont like what you see in society then there is a part of you that does not want to be involved in society, doctors will call it antisocial but you may just call it not wanting to mix with people who you have no connection with. Doctors love to give diagnoses and not really explain what they mean, it empowers them and i dont think they will give you more explaination. Have you spoken to other memebers on here with the same problem??

H

Hellen

Yes it was a question and i forgot to put a punctuation on it sorry, if you dont like what you see in society then there is a part of you that does not want to be involved in society, doctors will call it antisocial but you may just call it not wanting to mix with people who you have no connection with. Doctors love to give diagnoses and not really explain what they mean, it empowers them and i dont think they will give you more explaination. Have you spoken to other memebers on here with the same problem??
That's what I was trying to do,but I haven't found anyone with the same diagnosis.

C

Casulnonoise

To me you sound like your intellectual and straight forward in what you say, if anyone were to make a mistake your either gonna correct it or say something cruel yet relevant without thinking you said it in any way offensive, and no offensive to you. You said you dont like to interact with people, have you ever considered that you might be an introvert?. Another Reason why that might happen maybe be because your a thug and just have to accept that :).

H

Hellen

To me you sound like your intellectual and straight forward in what you say, if anyone were to make a mistake your either gonna correct it or say something cruel yet relevant without thinking you said it in any way offensive, and no offensive to you. You said you dont like to interact with people, have you ever considered that you might be an introvert?. Another Reason why that might happen maybe be because your a thug and just have to accept that :).
Once again it was hard for me to understand what you're saying because you're grammar isn't the best.Yes,I said I do not like interacting with people but if there's something I'm sure that I'm not is an introvert.When I do interact I do it pretty well and people generally like me,I just don't like them back.I'm a thug?Sorry,I don't know what that means,I don't speak ghetto.

D

Dreaming of a Nightmare

The doctors were rude, they didn't gave me any information and I want to know what the hell this means. Has anyone been diagnosed with ASPD?
Really? I would question them more, it seems suspicious that they're not giving out more info like that.

I guess saying ''You should ask your doctor, not the Internet'' is sort of redundant here...

H

Hellen

Really? I would question them more, it seems suspicious that they're not giving out more info like that.

I guess saying ''You should ask your doctor, not the Internet'' is sort of redundant here...
Well,since this is a forum about mental health I though it would be a good place to discuss the subject.I'm not looking for a diagnosis,in case you didn't noticed I already have one,I was only looking for someone with ASPD diagnosis to try and get a little bit more of information.No doctor knows everything,sometimes it is better to go straight to the source but so far no one said anything so I guess I'm a special snowflake.I asked the doctors and they were plain rude so I guess your little insight is not needed here.

D

Dreaming of a Nightmare

Okay

Well,since this is a forum about mental health I though it would be a good place to discuss the subject.
Of course, I never stated that you shouldn't be discussing it here.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis,in case you didn't noticed I already have one,I was only looking for someone with ASPD diagnosis to try and get a little bit more of information.
....I'd have to be a moron not to notice.

No doctor knows everything,sometimes it is better to go straight to the source but so far no one said anything so I guess I'm a special snowflake.
Sounds like a pretty shit doctor to me, and how they were given permission to handle ASPD if they know little of it (as you seem to suggest) is beyond me.

I asked the doctors and they were plain rude so I guess your little insight is not needed here.
(lol) Like you said yourself, this is a forum, and I seem to be missing the sign that says ''You can't post in my thread''. You may want to consider that before using a forum.