• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Antipyschotic meds

C

Chef48

Hi all,

Has anyone ever taken anti phychotic meds before such as quietipine ? Are they a lot different in terms of side effects of anti depressants?

After 17 years of soul searching and reading medical journals etc I think I may have discovered why I struggle so much. Substance induced depression disorder from use whilst I was a lot younger. Progress maybe

Wishbone

Wishbone

Antipsychotics are perhaps chiefly known for making you lethargic at low/medium doses and for weight gain. I've never been on them on their own though so couldn't tell you all of their effects isolated to just those. And hey, it also depends on the condition too. Antidepressants will have an effect on someone with one disorder that is maybe positive or helpful, but for another may add further problems. The docs should know what to give you based on whatever your diagnosis is. Have you had a mental health assessment ending in a diagnosis at all?

C

Chef48

Thanks for the info, not had an official diagnosis from mental professional as yet but have a triage telephone call/assessment with mind soon. This is my own research but seems the closest I have ever been for figuring out my daily mood disorder!

Wishbone

Wishbone

That's good, hopefully you get some answers and help to go with it. Do you mind sharing what your symptoms are a little more specifically?

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I take two antipsychotics: Latuda at 20 mg a day and Seroquel at 600 mg a day. I don't take an antidepressant; they don't help me (I have treatment-resistant bipolar depression). I haven't noticed any side effects from the antipsychotics.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I take two types as well, Aripiprazole 10mg and Risperidone 4mg. I get tiredness from them but apart from that I don't really experience side effects.

Now when I was just on Aripiprazole at 30mg I would get restless legs and increased anxiety so with my doctors blessing I reduced to 10mg which got rid of those side effects but I had an increase in symptoms so we added the Risperidone and everything got a little better.

I was originally on Olanzapine 20mg but I put on loads of weight with that one and got pretty close to being diabetic so that prompted the switch to the others. I can't seem to lose any weight on my current cocktail but I don't gain any either.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

i never put on weight on olanzapine but went up to 16 stone on risperidone, most of that has dropped away on flupentixhol. It does however make my hands shake like crazy.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I’ve been taking antipsychotics for a full year now. I was on Risperidone 3mg for about 8 months. It helped with the delusions but my anxiety was still very much there. My doctor then decided to add Celexa 10mg. I was on Celexa for about 3 weeks when I started feeling extremely depressed, paranoid, anxious, and suicidal. It was so scary, I really though that I was going crazy. My doctor told me to stop taking Celexa immediately. I then started having trouble falling asleep, which is rare for me. He decided to take me off the risperidone and put me on quetiapine 100mg. The quetiapine helps tremendously with getting me to sleep. Since that depressed episode I’ve had the quetiapine increased to 300mg. I’ve been on it for about 7 months now and it seems to be working well for me. I don’t really notice any negative side effects. I try to live a healthy lifestyle so I haven’t dealt with the weight gain that many people deal with.

I hope I’m able to taper off this medication sometime in the future, but for now it is working so well for me that I’m sticking to it until I build a stronger foundation for myself.

C

Chef48

Sure, Thanks for all your feedback.

This forum has been such a help, everyone is so open and helpful

My symptoms are horrible at the moment and have been for 17 years I dread weekends with my family as everyday around 1pm my mood goes downhill rapidly and I get snappy, irritable and manic depression symptoms. I feel like I can't be bothered with anything or my family which is awful. I feel out of it and anti social get just feel really sad and cant shake it off. It seems worse at weekends. My mood continues to become lower and lower throughout the day and lasts around 6/7 hours and then starts to wear off but leaves me exhausted from the low mood and depression symptoms. This literally happens everyday I I feel like I can't take anymore. I went tee total around 6 months ago as know alcohol really doesn't help depression symptoms. Not feeling any better from not drinking as yet but maybe need to give it more time. I am currently having a career change and really don't want my mood and symptoms to effect my new Job and studying as really like it. I am trying to pursue counselling privately but don't know if I need a Psychotherapist or a counsellor . Anti psychotic's do seem to sound promising for my symptoms but obviously need to speak to my doctor.

DistantOcean

DistantOcean

I functioned relatively well on Seroquel for many years and it has kept psychosis at bay. Then got depressed about three years ago. After a year I recovered pretty well. Psychosis ensued due to not taking my meds though. Then I was put on Paliperidon and have been depressed ever since, about 2 years and 3 months of quite severe depression. I am still trying to find out whether Paliperidon contributes to this state. At the moment I am switching to Seroquel again. In between switching to Abilify made me very paranoid, probably because it was not working for me personally.