• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

antipsychotics working too well?

I

insignificant_one

Recently I have been suffering from low mood. My cpn thinks that my antipsychotic is working too well at the dose I am at (400 mg depot of Clopixol every 3 weeks) and that I was a lot better at the lower dose I was on before (300 mg).

The current dose I am at is making the voices a lot quieter - in fact I have managed to get rid of one. I am in two minds whether I was better off on the lower dose - I preferred having the two voices, just I hated them when they were in control. But on the other hand it's such a relief to have just the one voice and I feel calmer and less stressed.

But my cpn thinks that the higher dose is suppressing too much of me and that's why I feel low. We are reluctant to change antipsychotic because it's been such a life saver for me and I am doing so much better - I am getting out more, my concentration has improved, and since starting Clopixol I havent self injured (my main reason of me self injuring is because the voices used to make me stressed). I have Clopixol tablets and diazapam prn (also procyclidine prn) which my cpn is thinking I should take on the lower dose. I dont want to get rid of my voices because they provide company, I just dont want them controlling me.

I am also possibly facing being inpatient because the risk of harming myself is quite high because of my low mood. But I was in hospital last year due to low mood and trying to kill myself. My cpn doesnt want me in hospital, and thinks it is due to time of year.

So my question is, has anyone had their antipsychotics work too well and taken too much of the voices away? Is there any way of getting things better other than lowering the dose?

V

volnash

Well this is a tough one, id say normally that if things are working for you and you are stable as the doctors would call it then id reccomend not changing anything, as long as you can live with your current situation, but if the medicine takes too much of yourself away then isnt that a bad option aswell? i totally understand your predicament here, and it's a tough one.

I guess in the end of it all only you can know how you really feel, and if you dont want to lower the medicine and think you are fine as you are now, then why change anything? it's okay to disagree with your cpn they arent always right, as they are only human beings aswell, but if you feel low could there be other reasons than the medicine doing it?

I noticed you are also on diazepam, when i was on diazepam i had to take them to feel better, and when i did i still felt worse, as i got weaned to them, what dosage of diazepam are you on?

And if you have to be inpatient a while to sort out your medicine, then so be it right? i mean anything to avoid you having bad thoughts and possibly doing something you cant take back, additionally there are antidepressants and mood stabilisers if things are low, which can have an effect as they do on me personally.

However i always suggest doing things naturally, which means trying to exercise as it releases dopamine and seretonin in our brain if i remember correctly from what ive read, and reduces cortisol which is a fact, and that is the stress hormone, but of course the desire to train has to be there, and this can be difficult for some.

I hope you try to enjoy things as maybe starting going for walks in your everyday situation, maybe hiking it can be anything that involves moving your body, such as swimming/hiking/aerobic/football/etc and these things will also give you a social network, usually which you maybe didnt already have.

It doesnt have to be exercise, other things such as taking different lessons in music, or something differently, basically just finding a hobby can keep our mind off things and work as a stress reliever.

Now my curiosity rests only on how much diazepam you are taking, ill look forward to your answer.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Antipsychotics that don't increase appetite. Schizophrenia Forum 11
Lone_wanderer My creativity is shot due to antipsychotics. Schizophrenia Forum 4
T Where in the world can I go where I won’t be forced on to antipsychotics for my “schizophrenia”? Schizophrenia Forum 9
I Thank heavens for antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 12
Daybreak Are there any antipsychotics that don't cause cognitive impairment? Schizophrenia Forum 13
Daybreak Trying to reduce Antipsychotics... Schizophrenia Forum 3
L Lack of conversation and antipsychotics: related? Schizophrenia Forum 4
U I cannot read and think efficiently when on antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 51
A Severe memory loss/cognitive impairment with various antipsychotics. Schizophrenia Forum 5
S Anyone managed to come off antipsychotics? Schizophrenia Forum 28
E Antipsychotics and weight gain Schizophrenia Forum 9
P Losing weight on antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 8
N Can they increase your Antipsychotics on a CTO without telling you? Schizophrenia Forum 2
P Metformin for weightloss from antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 4
F Should people with schizophrenia be offered depot antipsychotics as first line treatment? Schizophrenia Forum 11
F Antipsychotics Have Few Negative Long-term Effects on Schizophrenia Outcomes Schizophrenia Forum 1
cpuusage People with schizophrenia not taking antipsychotics more likely to recover, states research Schizophrenia Forum 14
C How much weight have you gained since taking antipsychotics? Schizophrenia Forum 38
I Antipsychotics causing uncontrollable teeth grinding and jaw spasms. Schizophrenia Forum 5
S Tapering and discontinuing antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 2
J should i stay with current antipsychotics? Schizophrenia Forum 24
B Achy Joints from antipsychotics? Schizophrenia Forum 2
F Schizophrenia, antipsychotics and quality of life: measuring the important things Schizophrenia Forum 1
cpuusage Study Finds Improved Functioning for Schizophrenia Without Antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 8
F A History of Childhood Trauma and Response to Treatment With Antipsychotics in First-Episode Schizophrenia Patients: Preliminary Results Schizophrenia Forum 1
S Don't get why even users of antipsychotics like to push them so much Schizophrenia Forum 15
cpuusage Antipsychotics/Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 31
P Antipsychotics for schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Forum 4
cpuusage At last, a promising alternative to antipsychotics for schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 16
cpuusage Study finds some schizophrenics do well without long-term antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 21
F Initial Severity of Schizophrenia and Efficacy of Antipsychotics: Participant-Level Meta-analysis of 6 Placebo-Controlled Studies. Schizophrenia Forum 4
Mark_01 Antipsychotics May Lower Violent Crime Rates: Schizophrenia Forum 5
Azrael Antipsychotics being stopped? Schizophrenia Forum 6
F Symptom improvement after antipsychotics not a predictor of life satisfaction Schizophrenia Forum 1
McMurphy's Ghost Antipsychotics and brain shrinkage: an update Schizophrenia Forum 25
R Weight gain on antipsychotics and anti depressants Schizophrenia Forum 17
M Do antipsychotics make you talk more than usual? Schizophrenia Forum 9
cpuusage Do Antipsychotics Worsen Long-term Schizophrenia Outcomes? Schizophrenia Forum 2
A Antipsychotics and smoking cigarettes Schizophrenia Forum 5
maxny Do any antipsychotics NOT cause Tardive Dyskinesia? Schizophrenia Forum 35
F Marijuana Compound May Beat Antipsychotics at Treating Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 5
A Slowed down on antipsychotics Schizophrenia Forum 5
F Antipsychotics & Suicide Schizophrenia Forum 4
A Antipsychotics/Schizophrenia Schizophrenia Forum 8
BEASTMODEWARRIOR im going back to my oldschool ways, my new school mentally sucks, its not working for me at all. Schizophrenia Forum 8
BEASTMODEWARRIOR This is good video if you need motivation for anything for example working out Schizophrenia Forum 0
N Stress and Working 32 hours a week Schizophrenia Forum 4
iRRelevant Working Schizophrenia Forum 1
I Stable but not working Schizophrenia Forum 0
vanish Voices and working Schizophrenia Forum 11