• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Antipsychotics and Depression?

A

arcircle5339

Can antipsychotics worsen depression? I mean giving antipsychotics to a person who has no psychotic features:confused:

A

Apotheosis

Can antipsychotics worsen depression? I mean giving antipsychotics to a person who has no psychotic features:confused:
I have looked into the subject of medication for years & in a lot of depth - Anti psychotics can cause depression which is resistant to anti depressants. ie - antidepressants will make no difference to a depression caused by anti psychotics.
One of the main chemical actions of anti psychotics on the brain is also to suppress the Dopamine system. It is theorised that an over-active Dopamine system is a cause of psychosis. The brain reacts to the suppression of the Dopamine system as if the anti psychotics are a poison - the brain increases the sensitivity of the Dopamine receptors & activity of the Dopamine system. This "rebound" effect continues long after the drug is withdrawn, often causing "withdrawal psychosis". The effect/condition anti psychotics are prescribed to treat - actually increases the supposed "Problem". This is a known effect of anti psychotics & has been observed in many people whom are prescribed anti psychotics for other ailments other than psychosis. On withdrawal otherwise perfectly non psychotic people have become psychotic. I'm not making this up, its true.
Don't expect your doctor to talk about depression/psychosis causing anti psychotics, med resistant depression, or withdrawal psychosis in regards to this type of med. they are unlikely to even know of this phenomena let alone discus it - any psychotic/depressive symptoms will likely be blamed on the "Illness", as everything usually is.

Last edited:
A

arcircle5339

Right

I think you are right . Thank You. :)

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I've been taking anti-psychotic medication for about 14 months now for pychosis and within that time period I have been diagnozed with depression.

I do not take anti-d's because I also suffer with chronic dizziness and the GP seems to think that anti-d's would make it considerably worse (how it could be worse is beyond me).

If I was answering this question 2 or 3 months ago I would probaly have said that the anti-psychotics had given me a degree of calmness particularly during the daytime but now I would say they are beginning to control me,I don't really know whether the anti-psychotics are influencing the degree of depression or if the depression being mainly untreated is making the situation more difficult on a daily basis.

A

arcircle5339

I Think

I think Anti-Psychotics do create depression.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

I've been on two different anti-psychotics that are also meant to have a beneficial effect on depression. They are olanzapine (I think - bad for weight gain) and Flupentixol. I've only been on them for the anti-depression effect. I don't see any particular effect though my OH, when I said I didn't care whether I continued to stay on the meds tonight said she would scream for help if I came off them - so I guess they see a positive difference in me.

lucid scream

lucid scream

is tru hq, antipsychotics arent necessarily to make US feel better, but to help our friends and families be around us.
like yakuza, a few months or so ago i would have said they help me more than hurt me, but recently ive noted the energy my quetiapine robs from me. and it doesnt really make me feel better. my brain tells me i need to do this or get that done, but my body refuses to respond. which leads to worsening depression. the trick is finding the lowest possible dose that works. im currently working on that. i know from experience that taking NO seroquel leads to severe problems for me and my family, however my lack of motivation leads to only slightly less severe problems. i have a family to support and children to raise, i need to be able to MOVE.

O

one_step_closer

From personal experience antipsychotics led me to hallucinate which in the long run did worsen my depression. Can you talk to the person who prescribed them to you? I was prescribed them to help with my anxiety but they didn't help at all. I hope that everything is alright. Take care.

I

inzie

Founding Member
YarK!

My psychiatrist wants to prescribe me Quetiapine (known as "Suzie Q" on the streets) on her return from her holibags. Has anyone had any experience of this?

As an aside - made me laugh - I explained to her that when I was 16 I was the recipient of quite a serious assault where the mugger seemed to think it was a good idea to jump up and down on my head. I lost consciousness - had an x-ray but that showed no bone fracture - although medical gadgets at the time couldn't show what was going on in the brain. I asked my psyche if she thought this battering would have had an effect on my mental health today... She said, "Well, it wouldn't have done you any good.....!" all that medical training....for what?

Cheers

Chris

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I was knocked from one side of a dual carriageway to the other by a speeding motorist/Beaten to a pulp by baseball bat wielding yobs/Knocked unconcious by a brick throwing idiot of a neighbour-no fractures
I've also had numerous seizures outside and stopped breathing twice.

The Psych says it has caused a certain amount of brain damage but as it happened so long ago there is'nt much they can do about it now-cheers! (y)

And people wonder why I used to drink myself silly!

Now taking anti-psychotics after 4 years of anti-convulsives,I find this medication completely controlling me.
The GP says they are there to calm me down to a certain degree but the longer I am prescibed this medication the more I am losing myself as a person.

It's a no win situation for me because if I stop these altogether,the hallucinations and voices will return with a vengeance,if I continue with them (which I don't really seem to have much choice about) I will just be a shell of the person I was.

Andrew.

A

angelstouch92

My psychiatrist wants to prescribe me Quetiapine (known as "Suzie Q" on the streets) on her return from her holibags. Has anyone had any experience of this?

As an aside - made me laugh - I explained to her that when I was 16 I was the recipient of quite a serious assault where the mugger seemed to think it was a good idea to jump up and down on my head. I lost consciousness - had an x-ray but that showed no bone fracture - although medical gadgets at the time couldn't show what was going on in the brain. I asked my psyche if she thought this battering would have had an effect on my mental health today... She said, "Well, it wouldn't have done you any good.....!" all that medical training....for what?

Cheers

Chris
A neurologist would be able to tell you that not a psychologist or psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are there to diagnose and treat signs and symptoms and to learn how medication affects neurotransmitters and other mechanisms in the brain. They do not deal with the organ of the brain solely on it's own.
I can tell you however that my brother developed epilepsy from a head battering and that it didn't show up on testing for ages. In regards to your mental health it is more likely that the stress of the event caused problems and not the beating as an action itself.