• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Antipsychotics and creativity

A

antipsionic

In some ways antipsychotics have been a blesing for me they leave me emotionally stable enough to get through life without landing myself in hot water too much, for that I'm willing to trade the weight gain, sexual dysfunction and general degeneration in physical health.

One thing I've noticed though is that I used to be a really creative person, especially when it came to writing comedy or a piece of wacky fiction, now, however, I feel that I've lost that, anything I've written recently is cliched and stilted.

Theres a certain creative genius in madness that I miss, but at the same time I fear being full on delusional.

Anyone else find that meds have killed off there artistic abilities?

B

breaksandflows

The higher dosage I take the less motivated I am to be creative and my apathy towards enjoyable activities in general increases.
Personally I find cinema about the most accessable and motivating art form, a good film always moves me in any particular genre.
reading is really enjoyable for me but sometimes I just cant move myself even though I know I'll enjoy it once I'm there.
but if I watch a film similar to the book i want to read, then i find it easily grabs my focus and my motivation builds momentum so i can also enjoy the book.
I try to find a dosage that stops excessively intrusive thoughts but allows me to enjoy music and things like that too.

BillFish

BillFish

I'm sitting here at 4 am in the morning designing a web site and experimenting with image designs in Photoshop, and trying to get a web 2 look about my site.....so no, meds haven't stifled my creativity what so ever.:p

S

sluisga

I'd say they did me as I felt like an emotionless zombie and ame across that way. Feel sorry for my partner at the time who put up with it at the time.

Also it raped any pleasure I had from doing things I used to enjoy. Listening to music, drawing, computer games etc.

I don't think it affected my sexual function though. Not much anyway (mid to low)

BillFish

BillFish

I don't know. I have no evidence to back it up but my own feeling is that a particular med will loose it's effectiveness over time. Perhaps I'm in the sweat spot where the symptoms are subdued but my creative personality can still get through?

I spend all night until the early hours playing with software, and web sites, sometimes until my legs get cramped and my hand aches from frenzied clicking. Perhaps like ocd.

I pay as little as £5 to explore a server for a month. For instance I'm going to have a look at a windows server, which will keep me busy for hours, evaluating the free software and features etc, and editing templates.

It makes me wonder what I would be like without the meds. Despite a heavy dose of resperdal I still get a buzz from being creative.:)

E

electricsheep

Zero creativity

Yes, absolutely. The meds have sapped all my creativity here is what it has done!!

I'm an addict got a habit, use booze just to cruise on wines,* a few more lines to spend a little time, so drunk and divine/
My addiction is my affliction, not an artist just mostly pissed, half drunk, mind sunk out of mind out of time/
Now I'm getting older, each day more colder, never that brave soldier, edging to a grave, for me there ain't no save/
Don't let go of your dreams I know they seem bright moon beams, they are your dreams man/
Mine turned to tin foil thoughts in a book I once bought/
I choose to use the booze just to cruise on wines and spend a little time so divine just another line paying for my crimes/
This I say this is no holiday or getaway/
To leave this lonely room, to escape the on coming tomb, to be free from my mothers womb, to leave this lonely room/
Her ma and da could see I was wrong, I tell ya in this song, I was wrong, don't belong, I'm wrong/
Only find lonely isolated in my mind I have wasted/ now its devastated/
I'm an addict got a habit, take scripts and trips and speed, need some weed, a bit of speed, just what you need your addiction is greed/
Need a smoke, a toke, to choke, a joke, need a line a rhyme, the sign, days in the sunshine not this time, time, time/
Have a cig feel big, take a fag a drag to your coffin you are coughing, this ain't the Holiday Inn the pla\ce that I am in/
Now I'm lying, crying I'm trying, just more lying, in the bed I'm in, this ain't no Holiday Inn, the place I'm in/
I'm an addict got a habit, use booze just to cruise on wines,* a few more lines to spend a little time, so drunk and divine/
My addiction is my affliction, not an artist just mostly pissed, half drunk, mind sunk out of mind out of time/
They say that Jesus saves yeah, can your Jesus sae me from the eathy grave yeah?
I'm here miced up, getting hyped up as my words are typed up/
Now I'm a freak, feel a little weak, got words but I can't speak did you say that the meek would inherit the earth? This planet we are spinning on round the sun is the only thing we know and the lonely one we're on/
Another turn/
Another burn/
Another day/
Here's what I say/
:redface:

A

Affective

I have lost my motivation too. I think the reason being is that antipsychotics don't allow too much Dopamine to be absorbed which is responsible for motivation.

E

electricsheep

Creative motivation

:( Yes, it is the meds that sap creative and all motivation. I also think it is the negative side of sz :(

S

sluisga

Electric sheep, that post looked very creative to me!
Keep at it! :clap:
What meds were u on (if u care to share)?

thing fish

thing fish

i don't know. my motivation is worse than my creativity.
every now and again i still feel the urge to noodle around on the guitar and write a little music

M

mizunderstood

I completely agree that meds sap creativity. Since I've been on anti-psychoics I am emotionally flat and nothing gives me pleasure apart from illegal drugs which seem to make me feel more like me and allow me to feel at least some emotion. Since my major breakdown, and the start of taking Olanzapine I am a different person all together and I feel like a part of me has died and I can't get it back. I used to be very imaginative and creative and have tonnes of motivation/ambition. Now I feel like I am simply a shadow of my former self and that I will never get that part of me that has gone. Wether that is the medication or not I don't know, but I know that the tablets definately inpact me in a negative way as far as creativity is concerned. Some of the feelings I have are consistent with the negative traits of schizophrenia, but since I am not diagnosed I can only assume it is the tablets that make me a heartless, emotionless soul. I find that my creative side comes out when Im on drugs such as amphetamine and drugs offer me temporary relief from my mundane, medicated, false life. The only time I feel normal is when Im on Amphetamine or when Im slightly pyschotic and experiencing positive symptoms. Then Im more myself! If only I could handle the negative side a bit better.

M

mizunderstood

Creativity song

Electricsheep - That song is really, really good. I like it a lot! Beats mine anyway!lol. Were you straight headed when you wrote than then??

E

electricsheep

Thanx very much for your kind words - I wrote it in the depths of depression (so maybe there is a creative aspect to MH! :D:clap::grouphug:

M

mizunderstood

Hey electricsheep. Maybe you are right...there is a creative side to MH. Some of my best ideas come to me when Im ill. x