• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Antipsychotic side effect on sleep

T

Tabby120

I'm having trouble tracking down information on a side effect that I am experiencing on quetiapine, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

It dates back to when I was started on ziprasidone. I don't remember how long it took, but I stopped being able to sleep if I missed a dose. My brain no longer seems to know how to fall asleep. The same effect continued during my brief time on risperidone and now on quetiapine.

2016 I lost insurance for a few months. I weaned myself off quetiapine since I was almost out of pills and had no medication for 3 months. The first month I literally did not sleep at all, all I could do was rest my body. The next two months, I could get just a little bit of broken sleep over a span of 3 or so hours before sleep stopped entirely for the night.

Several months ago my psychiatrist was trying to track down the source of a side effect and lowered my dose of quetiapine and my sleep dropped to four hours a night, until we tried melatonin in order to get me to sleep a full night.

I can't find any information on antipsychotics removing the ability to sleep, all search terms pull up antipsychotics helping with insomnia.

Thanks to all who respond.

L

linus

I would say that in case of my son it seems to help him sleep a lot (risperidone), even at a low dose, I doubt that they could make you sleepless. If melatonin is helping you then I guess it’s fine, at least until you get a grip on the sleep pattern.

T

Tabby120

It's the withdrawal that causes the lack of sleep. It's bad when I skip a night. It was difficult when they cut the dose nearly in half. It was insane when I had to stop completely for 3 months.

And that's what I'm having trouble finding. I can't find anything on losing the ability to sleep when they are no longer taken (even just missing a single night) or dosage dramatically reduced.

I can't be the only person in the world who has completely lost the ability to fall asleep naturally after starting antipsychotics, so there has to be information out there. I just don't know where to look.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
It’s strange it did the opposite for me although always tired I couldn’t sleep while on quetiapine and also took temazepam to help me sleep. I too weaned myself off it but now am sleeping much better and can get four of five hours which is good for me and rarely need a sleeping tablet

T

Tink22

Sorry to chime in here, but I am 5 days off of Seroquel, and feel horrible. I am wondering if anyone knows how long the withdrawals from Seroquel lasts? It a few weeks or will it be longer?
Thank you

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
manicmonday How long have you been on your antipsychotic and have you had any side effects? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
A Do side-effects of antipsychotic medications ever go away? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Antipsychotic side effects and level of psychosis Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
Jam1990 Wanting to taper off my antipsychotic Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
U Antipsychotic/Risperidone Cognitive Impairment Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 16
lifecangetbetter Fluctuations in mood when first starting an antipsychotic Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
M Antipsychotic discontinuation syndrome Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
H Stoping antipsychotic medication Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 8
L Antipsychotic and Conversation Skills Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
Linda1989 Is there any antipsychotic or antidepressant that doesnt cause high blood sugar Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 0
F Sixty Years of Placebo-Controlled Antipsychotic Drug Trials in Acute Schizophrenia: Systematic Review, Bayesian Meta-Analysis, and Meta-Regression of Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
N Antipsychotic injection painful in opposite deltoid after injection? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
cpuusage Antipsychotic Medications: 73 Recent Meta-Analyses Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 5
cpuusage Antipsychotic Users Discuss Limitations of Drugs in New Study Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 19
cpuusage Long-Term Antipsychotic Use May Result in Poorer Cognitive Functioning Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
T What is your favourite antipsychotic? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
F The Harms of Antipsychotic Drugs: Evidence from Key Studies. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 82
F Financial incentives to improve adherence to antipsychotic maintenance medication in non-adherent patients: a cluster randomised controlled trial Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Antipsychotic Medications and Risk of Acute Coronary Syndrome in Schizophrenia: A Nested Case-Control Study Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
U antipsychotic emotional numbness Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 27
F Significantly lower mortalty with antipsychotic use Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 13
F Antipsychotic Drugs Are Linked with an Increased Risk of Heart Attacks Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F How Antipsychotic Medication May Save Lives Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 17
F New Research into Antipsychotic Discontinuation And Reduction: the RADAR programme Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
F Emerging drugs for antipsychotic-induced tardive dyskinesia: investigational drugs in Phase II and Phase III clinical trials Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
cpuusage Myth of the antipsychotic Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 190
F Fears that antipsychotic drugs being used as 'chemical cosh' in disability care Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 9
cpuusage Book Review: The Bitterest Pills: The Troubling Story of Antipsychotic Drugs by Joanna Moncrieff Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
U Low dose antipsychotic Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
F Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular risk factors and events associated with second-generation antipsychotic compared to antidepressant use in a non-eld Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
S injected antipsychotic med Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 7
porkpie Is ABILIFY (aripiprazole) Depot 400mg considered a 'heavy duty antipsychotic'. Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
cpuusage Antipsychotic Trial Designs Still Not Reaching Scientific Standards Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Physicians, Patients Not Getting Full Information on Antipsychotic Drugs Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
cpuusage More than Half of UK Antipsychotic Prescribing is Not for Authorized Conditions Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F Antipsychotic Treatment and Mortality in Schizophrenia Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F I have anxiety, why is my doctor prescribing an antipsychotic? New drug naming system unveiled Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 4
F Shared decision making in antipsychotic prescribing: the perspective of psychiatrists Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F Antipsychotic medication during pregnancy does affect babies Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
F Bacteria May Be at Fault in Antipsychotic-Induced Weight Gain Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 10
cpuusage The Bitterest Pills: The Troubling Story of Antipsychotic Drugs Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 3
F alternating psychiatric / sedative and antipsychotic drugs Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F “Should We Stop Using Antipsychotic Medication?” Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 11
F Switching to Antipsychotic Monotherapy Improves Cognitive Function & Social Activity Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
A How long have you been on an antipsychotic? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 19
F Psychotic Symptoms, Not Antipsychotic Medication, Linked to Institutionalization, Death in Alzheimer's Patients Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
cpuusage Altered Heart Rate Dynamics Associated With Antipsychotic-Induced Restlessness Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
cpuusage How do antipsychotic drugs have their effect? Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1
F Antipsychotic Use Skyrockets in America's Poorest Children Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 2
F A Call for Caution on Antipsychotic Drugs Psychiatric Drugs/Medications Forum 1