• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Antipsychotic/Risperidone Cognitive Impairment

U

Underdog21

Hi everyon,

I was wondering if anyone is on a high dose of Risperidone or any other antypsychotic. My psychiatrist recently increased my anti-psychotic because I suffered from low mood and suicidal thoughts. I am also on Lithium. Have you experienced any decline in your cognition? I feel like these days I struggle to generate thoughts or formulate ideas especially when I read something. I finished university 2 years ago and I used to love studying and writting papers, now I can barely read a paragraph. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Z

Zoe1

hi Underdog

I have also wondered this about myself
and I think I'm maybe a bit slow because of my meds
but if I write down what I'm thinking
my brain is working better than I thought it was
and I've been able to study a bit and to paint

sometimes I ask for people to make allowances for me

you are probably less damaged than you think

:grouphug: 🕯

Dav

Dav

I’m on high dose respiredone and it’s definitely slowed down my mental cognition, I noticed I struggle to think and I forget things a lot.

Z

Zoe1

how long have you been on it for ?
because sometimes those side effects lessen over time

also I don't think there is a perfect med
but just one that allows you to enjoy life

U

Underdog21

how long have you been on it for ?
because sometimes those side effects lessen over time

also I don't think there is a perfect med
but just one that allows you to enjoy life
Hi Zoe1,

I've been on Risperidone for 4 years approximately, and my dosage has been on the low end for 3 years but then increased as my illness progressed. I know there is no perfect med but I graduated in Finance and plan to return to work. I kinda need my analytical and problem solving skills to perform.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I was on Risperidone last year for a limited time period. At the time i eventually complained about not being or having motivation to do stuff (for me i had no motivation to play video games??).
I am now on Aripiprazole at 15mg per day. Aripiprazole is also an antipsychotic. My mood and motivation is normal but i do find reading not easy and i make mistakes in reading in regards to missing out a word here or there. Same goes for typing, i can miss out a word. It seems that out of luck and/or chance, i see the mistake i made in missing out a word when typing but also reading, well it feels like it's by chance or luck.

Even with the Aripiprazole, if i had low motivation then this time i would not complain, because i rather have the low motivation than have the intrusive thoughts and it's effect on me, even though i still have the intrusive thoughts and it stresses me.