• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Antipsychotic Medication Side Effects

S

Saphy468

I'm on risperidone and my main side effects are akathisia which is just basically restlessness and secondly a reduction in my libido. Has anyone else experienced these with any antipsychotic medication and if so which one and have they had any luck with switching to a different one

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

i have only been on abilify and olanzapine. abilify causes akathisia. olanzapine didnt

N

natalie

Hi, Saphy468,

I take Abilify, oral soultion, and i have not had any such problems which you mention.

Welcome aboard to MHF, hopefully, you will enjoy the forums site.

N

natalie

Your welcome.

I

Imager

I'm on risperidone and my main side effects are akathisia which is just basically restlessness and secondly a reduction in my libido. Has anyone else experienced these with any antipsychotic medication and if so which one and have they had any luck with switching to a different one
I have been taking dispersal 5mg daily for about a year on top of olanzapine 20mg. Whilst the olanzapine has reduced my libido a little it has greatly increased my weight. The risperdal hasn't worsened the weight as far as I can tell but it has definitely impacted on my libido. I should add that I'm a 56 year old man and some libido loss is to be expected at my age but now I have none.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on 4mg of Risperidone and 10mg of Aripiprazole, the reason I'm only on 10mg of the Aripiprazole is because the 30mg I was on originally gave me terrible akathisia, I seem to be better on the lower dosage but I needed something extra so we decided on the Risperidone as my prescribing doctor said they kind of work well together, by that I think she meant one increases Prolactin and the other reduces it, forget which one does what lol but I seem to be balanced or my annual tests would have indicated a problem by now.

And @Imager, I was on 20mg of Olanzapine and my libido went the way of the Dodo, it will destroy your libido faster than you can say Olanzapine. I seem to be far better on my current meds.

EdEd

EdEd

I was just recently on Haldol and it locked my hands up to where I couldn't use them properly.. I couldn't twist the top off a bottle.

Zero One

Zero One

I was just recently on Haldol and it locked my hands up to where I couldn't use them properly.. I couldn't twist the top off a bottle.
That is terrible. That's what risperidone started doing to me and by the time we realized it was it, I couldn't walk write or speak properly.

Zero One

Zero One

Haldol gave me awful akathesia and I didn't see it again until Olanzipine. Geodon worked better for me than haldol and I used to be on two psychotics at a time, but now I am functioning well on 800mg Seroquel. My psychiatrist asked me today if I want to come off seroquel and depakote because I put on so much weight and my back is giving me trouble again 😤 never see smoke without fire.

lifecangetbetter

lifecangetbetter

ACCOUNT CLOSED
akathisia can be irreversible. im stay AWAY from those antipsychotics cause i have shit luck and would get akathisia

zyprexa and seroquel have the lowest risk of EPS (akathisia) than all other second generation antipsychotics. i recommend trying out one of those

lifecangetbetter

lifecangetbetter

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Haldol gave me awful akathesia and I didn't see it again until Olanzipine. Geodon worked better for me than haldol and I used to be on two psychotics at a time, but now I am functioning well on 800mg Seroquel. My psychiatrist asked me today if I want to come off seroquel and depakote because I put on so much weight and my back is giving me trouble again 😤 never see smoke without fire.
if you limit your amount of calories you wont gain. i try to save some amount of calories for after i take my Seroquel because it makes me hungry. my PA prescribed 400 mg Seroquel and i increased it to 600mg which seems to help enough

N

Nate

I had terrible result with clozapine, restless legs, loss of libido and loss of emotions I also gained 50 lbs. I get dystonia with olanzapine and feeling like I have to move all the time. I take paliperidone now with no side effects.

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

i was risperdone for a long time, it was my favorite medication, i love it so much, it made feel happy and good, it lower my anxiety, paranoid thoughts, fear and delusion alot. but i was force to switch because i gain so much weight from it from the side effects, i dont why this medication makes you gain so much weight, its a great medication too, when i gain 70lbs i develop type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and my triglycerides were so high in the 700's , i was disappointed i had to switch. sucks i like it risperidone alot.

Zero One

Zero One

if you limit your amount of calories you wont gain. i try to save some amount of calories for after i take my Seroquel because it makes me hungry. my PA prescribed 400 mg Seroquel and i increased it to 600mg which seems to help enough
Thank you...that is my problem 😑 I have a really difficult time to adjust my mind to eating healthier/ better/less calories so I just keep eating and eating and getting to be the fattest fat lolol. I have been doing a lot better than when I first started Seroquel--then I used to eat 4 of the 4 packs of twix at bedtime. There is some effect of mood on this I think. Now I have sweets occasionally at bedtime and am working towards fruits/vegetables in place of that.