• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Antipsychotic and Conversation Skills

L

leugim1

Hey guys! Do you think an antipsychotic can make it difficult to have and hold conversations? I used to be talkative and now nothing comes to mind for me to say or elaborate...thks :)

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I don't know about you but I have a voice in my head that I didn't know was there until four and a half years ago, I discovered he'd been influencing me my entire life, he would convey his wishes to me using thoughts, ideas and impulses that I believed were my own up until I started on anti-psychotics which sort of put a wedge between both our minds.

Perhaps you also have a voice in your head that did the same so your ability to hold conversations really came from him/her and now you're on anti-psychotics it's reluctant to use it's influence to guide you.

A lot of people lose various interests and abilities when they start to take these drugs, I know I had to rediscover who I am and what I like and don't like to do when I separated myself from my voices influence.

Just a thought.

N

natalie

Hi,

I happen to be on a very good dose of ant ipshycotic med, that enables me to have and hold enquries in shops, and conversations in my volunteering work mode. and at home. and also with my pending partner.

N

natalie

Oops, i forget, and including in my dental , and doctors surgeries, via admin, and also the GPs, and dentists themselves. And upcoming, via my optical b ranch.

No i certainly don't have a pr oblem in holding conversations, me.

AnnN

AnnN

I have that problem. Maybe it's just like NWiddi said. My entire life I don't speak much. Maybe and I do have had that voice all the time that stops me speak and think.

R

Rebeca1

I find it hard to chat because of the medication but I'm always talking with my mind to the voices. I've just come off my medication so hopefully I will be able to have good conversation with people in time.