• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Antidepressents: Yes or No?

K

katieroo

Hello everyone,

My situation is really complicated. For the past few years I've had mild episodes of depression as well as what now I know is called hypomania, but I hadn't been seen by a doctor until this November. It all started with really bad anxiety problems and other health problems like gastritis and IBS because of the anxiety and my GP prescribed Citalopram (SSRI). I had awful side effects and within a few days I was a lot worse and after two weeks I couldn't bear it any more and the GP gave me prozac which pushed me completely over the edge and made me hypomanic. After a few days I crashed and became suicidal. I stopped taking it of course, and then I was given sedatives and was referred to a psychiatrist who also gave me Zyprexa, a mood stabiliser.
That improved things, but then I went away for a week by myself and that I think ruined everything; I came back in a mixed state and now I feel depressed for most of the time, and as I stopped taking valium I'm back to square one in terms of anxiety....The doctor also tried antipsychotics but I had so many side effects I was told to stop taking them...

Sorry for the very long message, my question is this: Is it better to try sit it out than resort to antidpressents?? Sometimes I feel I can do it but some others I just can't bear it :( On the other hand my body has been through so much lately I'm scared ot taking more drugs...

Last edited:
T

TOONAFISH

hi katieroo

i think it would be best if you speak to your doc about taking anti d's. if you have bipolar i know ad's can make you high, but there are some that you can take. im on lamotrigine at the moment. seems to be ok so far (keep my fingers crossed)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Bipolar Forum 4