• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Antidepressants? HELP!

L

Llbd2355

Iv been suffering from binge eating for almost a year now and I’m wondering if I should start on some type of antidepressant. I’m definitely depressed, Iv given up drugs and nicotine in last year and now I manage stress by bingeing, and the weight gain/fear of more is causing me more depression but it’s uncontrollable at times. I thought maybe I should try Meds while I’m also going to therapy, but Iv always been against it because I know it can cause weight gain and that’s obviously not what I want!! Does anyone have any good experience wirh antidepressants and can recommend a good one they believe doesn’t cause weight gain ?

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hello and warm welcome to the forum :welcome:

It sounds to me as if you are swapping one addiction for another. I gave up smoking last year and had to change so many aspects of my life style...I could easily have filled the void with eating.

I’m not ignoring or trivialising your depression but weight gain is very normal for a reformed smoker. On top of that, the pandemic has kept most of us indoors and fridge raiding.

I took up cycling when I quit and got hooked on walking. I just have an addictive nature but it’s useful if I hook up with healthy habits :)

Lovely to have you aboard! X

L

Llbd2355

Absolutely agree. I went from one unhealthy behavior to the next because of my addictive personality. Which is why I’m looking for help.

I’m actually an athelte and know how to lose weight and know how to workout. I workout A LOT! but idk if I should start taking meds to help the depression aspect which in turn will help with the bingeing. But I’m afraid it’ll make me gain more weight. Hence me asking for which one will work best!

Thanks for your Warm welcome and help!

Lizaje

Lizaje

It depends on the individual. You just have to try them yourself. You should tell your doctor everything. If they recommend an antidepressant, they'll take your problems with food into account. Then when you begin using the medicine, if you feel your appetite increases and it remains a problem, tell your doctor and maybe they will prescribe you a different antidepressant.

B

bpd2020

Hello Llbd. I have binge eating disorder. I take an antidepressant called vortexoatine and it does not cause me to have increased hunger. I am pleased you are going to have therapy. I found it helped me a lot.